Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-13-2010, 10:19 AM   #31 
HopeInHeart

Hmmm, it doesn't list the ingredients on the package either. But I'm sure I could find them online. Anyways, I added Aqua to his new digs and he's checking it out. I am planning on using fresh-hatched bbs as the first meal, so when the fry hatch I'll set up a shrimp hatchery so they'll be ready when the fry become free-swimming.
HopeInHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 11:23 AM   #32 
HopeInHeart

I looked up the Seamonkey food and apparently the main ingredient is algae, so I guess I won't be using that!
Old 01-14-2010, 08:18 AM   #33 
HopeInHeart

Ok, so since putting Aqua in the tank yesterday morning, he has now made a small bubblenest! I'm planning on putting Nova in the hurricane globe sometime this morning. Can somebody tell me where that thread is for preparing bbs ahead of time and putting them in the fridge? Also, what are your guys' opinions on when I should stop feeding him?
Old 01-14-2010, 07:09 PM   #34 
HopeInHeart

Update:

So this morning I had to adjust the heater, and kind of ruined/moved the small bubblenest in the process. I put Nova in in her hurricane lamp, and I was trying to put her in found out my net was too large to fit inside of it so I had to just dump her in, which spooked her. She was scared for a little while, then finally started flaring back at Aqua. I think they've been looking at each other all day, and Aqua isn't thinking too much about blowing bubbles, but I do see a few. I'm considering moving his large, thick nest from his original tank into there but I'm not sure. It's not really natural. We'll see!
Old 01-15-2010, 10:21 AM   #35 
HopeInHeart

Update:

I released Nova this morning, leaving the hurricane lamp in there because he built a bubblenest by the lamp, so I'll take it out after the babies don't need the bubblenest anymore. It's pretty gentle so far, and they've actually both met under the bubblenest a few times, it seems that spawning should be happening fairly soon. I'll start a new thread if they spawn and daddy doesn't eat the eggs to document the growth of the babies.
Old 01-15-2010, 03:17 PM   #36 
HopeInHeart

Update:

Well, they are spawning and now, and Aqua is eating the eggs after each embrace. There are a few eggs in the nest, but I don't know who put them there. I just pray that he stops and starts to realize what he is supposed to be doing with them!
Old 01-15-2010, 05:32 PM   #37 
dramaqueen
Banned

I'm sorry he's eating the eggs! I guess he doesn't realize what they are and that he's supposed to take care of them and not eat them.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 06:22 PM   #38 
HopeInHeart

Update:

Ok, so they're done and I think he stopped eating them at some point. There's maybe fifty? and I think he's taking care of them but I'll have to keep a close eye. He keeps putting them in his mouth but I watched and I'm pretty sure he's just moving them.
Thanks DQ!
Old 01-15-2010, 06:26 PM   #39 
dramaqueen
Banned

It may look like he's eating them but he may just be moving them around. At least, I hope that's the case.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 07:19 PM   #40 
HopeInHeart

It looks like there are less eggs now, I may have to take him out.