Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-30-2009, 12:24 AM   #1 
colorfulfishies

my first betta!problems?

i just got my very first betta,but i feel weird,since i have no heater in my tank.its a lee's betta keeper large double-hex tank,and i put in the gravel and some additoinal marbles,but i removed the plastic plants since they even catch onto my pants.and all hes been doing is swimming around and not eating.i have aquarian betta floating pellet food and since i used tap water,i used aqueon betta bowl plus.anything wrong going on?heres some pics.oh and how about helping me with a name?

thx
Attached Images

colorfulfishies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 12:34 AM   #2 
AngelicScars

Well, usually they need some getting used to the new surroundings before they start eating well. I would give him a few days on that.
That does look like an awfully small tank though. I would recommend upgrading to at least 2-2.5 gallons so you can properly heat the tank (a hydor mini heater would be perfect). Plus, he will be MUCH happier in a more appropriately sized tank. The rule of thumb is 1 gallon per max. inch for the fish. Bettas get up to 2.5 inches.
After the upgrade, find a couple of nice plants that won't tear his fins and a little hiding cave or something along those lines. He will be set and you'll have a happy little Betta!
Oh and of course welcome to the forum!
AngelicScars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 07:55 AM   #3 
BettaxFishxCrazy

Welcome to the forum!! I agree with AngelicScars. They need at least 2Gs with a heater because the water temp should be at 75-82 degrees. New bettas need time to get used to their surroundings, so as soon as he's comfortable, he'll start eating. Just keep offering him the pellets and if he doesn't eat them, make sure you scoop out the food. Bettas LOVE hiding in plants and decor. Good luck!
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 05:01 PM   #4 
cindylou

Talking

I agree with everyone above, he needs a much bigger tank and the lights on my tanks usually keep my water warm it just declines a little at night when its off. But you might want to get a heater thats up to you. All my bettas when I first get them don't want to eat either. I actually e-mailed a breeder in thailand and asked them what they fed theres because one of mine that came from there wasn't eating and he told me either golden betta flakes or red worms meaning ( Blood worms). You might try the blood worms cause mine is eating like a pig right now. Hope thaat helps with your question a little. And you have a very beautiful boy there. I like the name Inferno because he is so red. Not great at names though. Ask Dramaqueen she names half of my fish, lol
cindylou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 05:20 PM   #5 
Jupiter

Those tanks are originally meant for two bettas! But I think they are smaller than 0.5 gallons.

Your betta will be much happier in a tank that is at least 2.5 gallons. A heater is a must. He will also be happier with plants and hiding spaces.
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 05:21 PM   #6 
dramaqueen
Banned

Rojo, Flame, Ember,Pepper. Thats all I can think of right now. lol
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote