Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-30-2009, 07:42 AM   #1 
Nemo D

First Betta

So, we got our first Betta on Monday. Purchased at a pet store, my son picked it out.

I am pretty sure it is a female orange dalmatian.

The problem is, I don't think she is eating....we put food in her tank and she will take it, chew it around, and spit it back out, so I went to the pet store and bought pellets and bloodworm, and same thing.

Thoughts??? I would hate to have to have a flush funeral!!!!
Nemo D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 07:49 AM   #2 
BettaxFishxCrazy

Welcome to the forum! Don't worry, she's acting normal. They need to get used to their surroundings before they're comfortable enough to eat. Pellets should be a regular meal and the bloodworm's should be given as a treat. Make sure that the pellets are small (you can crush them or cut them in half if need be) because the females have smaller mouths than males. How big is her tank? Bettas need at least 2Gs and if you live somewhere cold, she'll need a heater because the water temp needs to be at 76-82 degrees. Do you have silk plants and hiding places? They love to hide in the plants and decor. Good luck with your new betta! Be careful, you might end up with 5 or 6. :P I have 18 and Christinaross has 50ish? I lost count.lol We also LOVE to see pictures! :)
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 08:18 AM   #3 
Nemo D

Thanks for your reply, I will have to get a picture up of her!!!
We will try the pellets crushed up, and how often do you feed, we have been following the directions on the food, which says three times a day.

I am pretty sure our tank is 2g's, and we have one plastic plant in there for her, she is already going around it and under it to hide, I will get her something else to hide in.

Thanks again, now I feel better.
Old 12-30-2009, 08:40 AM   #4 
TianTian

Welcome to the forum!

Do you have a heater for your tank? Bettas are strictly tropical fish and need their water about 75-80 degrees Fahrenheit. If the water is too cold, Bettas will get lethargic and not want to eat. A heater will help her longevity, too.

I feed my Cinder 2 times a day, morning and night, two or three pellets each time. So what you're feeding her already should be fine. :)

Keep us updated! And please show pictures! :D
TianTian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 10:30 AM   #5 
BettaxFishxCrazy

I feed my males 3 or 4 pellets a day in the morning and fast them once a week because it's good for their digestive systems. I give my females 2 pellets a day because they're smaller. You can spread out the feedings, 2 in the morning and 2 at night or feed her once a day, it's up to you. :)
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 10:56 AM   #6 
Katana

Welcome to forums and betta!

I feed katana 3 pellets and 2 flakes everyday. i wouldn't recommend this because im easing katana into the pellets, so flakes can be a treat :) (even though the pelets end up floating around -.-lol)

however i would reccomend spreding your pellets onto a paper plate or somthing, and picking the smallest out. this is what i do because most of the pellets don't even fit into katanas mouth XD.

Regards,
Katana

P.S. check the link in my signature. also the homepage too. they have useful information :).

http://ibetta.webs.com/

Last edited by Katana; 12-30-2009 at 10:58 AM.
Katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 01:51 PM   #7 
dramaqueen
Banned

Hello and welcome to the forum.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 02:36 PM   #8 
dukie1346

Hello! She'll eat soon, it's a normal thing when they need to adjust to their new home. I'd love to see a picture of her!
dukie1346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 02:40 PM   #9 
1fish2fish

I would caution against having a plastic plant. Even though you have a girly who's fins aren't going to be as large as a males she could still get her fins cut. Silk plants are much better (although a little more expensive than the plastic ones).

Also when you get her cave take some pantyhose and run them along all the edges..you can do this for the plastic plant too.. if any part catches the pantyhose sand it down until its smooth.. that will keep your girlies fins looking beautiful.

and yes.. we MUST have picts :D.. I have an orange dal male and I just love them!
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 07:02 AM   #10 
Nemo D

Thumbs up My Picture

Our fish is eating!!! Hooray!!! What a character too!!!

I hope this picture works!!!