Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-30-2009, 12:44 PM   #1 
ajvshadow

Something wrong?

I got my first Betta two days ago and ive noticed his back fin has started to turn black at the tip, i was looking up fin rot to see if thats what it was but it doesnt look ripped or anything, he also freaks out sometimes like he is seeing his own reflection in the tank O.o i dunno what it is
ajvshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 03:32 PM   #2 
kelly528

1) How big is the tank?
2) How often do you clean it?
3) How much water do you change?
4) Are there any decorations or plants in the tank that would snag a nylon stocking if you ran one over it?

99.999999999999% of the time fin rot (which will manifest as blackened tips) occurs because you are the unfortunate victim of the awful betta myths circulating pet stores. If your tank is less than 1g (1 milk jug's worth of water) I will guarantee you that the rot is caused by unclean water and will go away if you purchase a bigger tank that won't get polluted so quickly.
kelly528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 03:52 PM   #3 
ajvshadow

tanks 3L, i havent cleaned it yet cuz ive only had it for two days (was gonna clean it tonight) , and the only thing in the tank is smooth rocks. and its really freaking out, its going into the left bottom corner and swimming faster and faster lol
ajvshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 06:19 PM   #4 
kelly528

Okay you will have to clean a 3l daily until you can get your hands on a larger tank. I recommend 5g, here is an awesome one for a cheap price. It has everything you need: http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/b...82/#post296909

Your betta is freaking out because he has no furniture. We are talking about a fish who lives in flooded fields... They don't take too well to a bare 3l tank. In fact, not many fish will... every animal needs a hidey-hole to call their own-- unless they are a jellyfish lol! What you are seeing is a fish trying to hide... in a tank with no hiding spots! No wonder he is freaking out! When you are picking up a decent tank, be sure to swing by a hardware store / craft store / walmart etc and pick up a big cheap pack of silk plants. Your motif: jungle. There is no such thing as too many plants lol.

Hope that helps!

You can read here for more ideas on how to give your betta a decent home... they will live for anywhere from 3-7 years if all their needs are met: http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/b...are-faq-20058/

Welcome to the forum!!!

EDIT: I also suggest you keep the betta in a dark room until you can get him some shelter... fish can (and do) die of stress and we need to get him to stop swimming lol! Also make sure the top is covered; bettas will instinctively try to jump over to the 'next puddle' if they find themselves trapped in a small space.

Last edited by kelly528; 12-30-2009 at 06:22 PM.
kelly528 is offline   Reply With Quote