Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-08-2014, 11:27 PM   #11 
Joey Fish

Yah it does evaporate quickly and then the outflow is a waterfall.
Joey Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 11:54 PM   #12 
lovee1795

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suresh S View Post
lovee1795..I have 5g version of this...have you baffled the filter, then how? can you post some pics?
I ended up having to order the sponge online because my local PetSmart didn't carry the Fluval sponge I needed. But someone else on here gave me the idea to do it. They said to buy this Fluval sponge and cut it down to size, then put it in the intake valve that hangs down in the water to reduce the water flow. If it's still too much I may try to put a little in the outflow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Fish View Post
Yah it does evaporate quickly and then the outflow is a waterfall.
The instructions that come with the box say to keep the water level at an inch below the colored rim on the tank, which is more than an inch below the outflow. Should I keep it filled higher than that? That may be my problem I'm having with the filter others aren't having.
lovee1795 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 09:21 AM   #13 
Joey Fish

I keep it filled to the bottom of the rim
Old 02-09-2014, 09:44 AM   #14 
Agent13
Reference Team

I gave 1 of these to my daughters daycare for their betta and I have one in my home I used to keep an EE betta in till I gave him away. Both fish adjusted to the flow after a week or less. Don't worry about baffling the filter. Yes the light seemed to heat the tank so I set the heater on a timer opposite of the light timer. Light during day and heat at night. Perfectly good tank aside from being a bit small. one thing I did is created a cover for the filter media area..I'll grow algae from the light if you don't.
Agent13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 11:10 AM   #15 
iFish22

I have the same tank, in black. I am not actually using the lid. I am using a lamp beside the tank instead. I am baffling the filter with a fluval pre filter sponge. I always tell people how essential a heater is but for the first time I am not using one on this set up.
iFish22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 11:16 AM   #16 
mart

I have the same tank. Have a heater, a Aquatop PF15-UV HOB filter, and changed the lightbulb to a Aqueon Colormax Mini Flourescent 10watt light bulb. Boy what a difference that lightbulb makes.
mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 11:18 AM   #17 
Joey Fish

Hm. This is my first tank with a filter. I wish i would have known about using the sponge instead, before i bought the pack of cartridges. Grrr but whatever. Thanks
Old 02-09-2014, 11:20 AM   #18 
Joey Fish

I dont have an aquarium specific bulb, i just got one from Lowes that is 6500k
Old 02-09-2014, 11:25 AM   #19 
lovee1795

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent13 View Post
I gave 1 of these to my daughters daycare for their betta and I have one in my home I used to keep an EE betta in till I gave him away. Both fish adjusted to the flow after a week or less. Don't worry about baffling the filter. Yes the light seemed to heat the tank so I set the heater on a timer opposite of the light timer. Light during day and heat at night. Perfectly good tank aside from being a bit small. one thing I did is created a cover for the filter media area..I'll grow algae from the light if you don't.
I already have the sponge on the way, so I may as well use it, lol. I have started to alternate the heater. My heater is an automatic betta heater so it controls the temperature for bettas on it's own, so I have to unplug it when I have the light on but that's not too much of a hassle. I'll have to figure out what I can do about the opening. My supplies are pretty limited here in my dorm, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Fish View Post
Hm. This is my first tank with a filter. I wish i would have known about using the sponge instead, before i bought the pack of cartridges. Grrr but whatever. Thanks
If you're talking about the sponge for the baffling, I'm under the assumption that you still need the filter cartridges. The sponge just acts as a way to lower the amount of water going into the filter, so less comes out which creates less of a current. No need to fear, you didn't waste any money. lol
lovee1795 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 01:55 PM   #20 
Ravaari

Location: That one place in that country bordering the ocean sort of
I have just encountered a very annoying new problem with this tank: my girl Vapor is swimming right between the side of the tank and the barrier to bully my new boy Glacier. Flare used to live on that side and she never did that. I think it is because Flare lived in the tank before she did, so it was his turf and he was boss. Now, Flare is in fishy heaven and Vapor is queen bee. Queenie does not like Glacier being here. So, if you plan to use the divider, make sure the bettas cannot slip past it. I am working on solving the problem right now.
Ravaari is offline   Reply With Quote