Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-04-2014, 12:00 AM   #1 
Ramla

New Tank, Let's Brainstorm

Okay guys, so I bought another tank and not entirely sure on how I want to set it up yet. So I decided to leave it to the masses, all of you lovely people.

It is a five gallon glofish tank, has a filter, and I shall be picking up a heater along the way. It is the previous version not the newer one I believe, if people want specifics.

This one to be exact

Anyways, I know I am going to look into getting a female for in it, and I am possibly looking at some other fish I could place in there with her. So does anyone have any suggestions for other fish that fair well with bettas? I know it is highly determined by the betta's temperament, but some ideas to try out would be good.

Along with that I would like to allow a lot of cover within the tank, just to allow them to hide from each other if need be, and was figuring more live plants may be better than the usual silk. So for this does anyone have any tips for substrates?

I am contemplating having the main layer be sand, cause I have a few live plants in my other tank and they are only fairing so so, which is all gravel. Though I think this could be due more to the small light that is in that tank. Do you guys recommend sand and what would be the care requirements for it?

And finally I am trying to come up with a theme for this tank, I am thinking medievalish possibly, dragons, something lotr inspired. But anybody got any good ideas they'd like to throw out?

And as I get things started, I'll probably keep this thread updated along the way, will include pics too so you guys can all see the growth, I am pretty excited for this :)
Ramla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 07:23 AM   #2 
Tikibirds

I dont think there is any other fish you can put in a 5 gallon with a betta, its simply not bog enough. It can be divided for 2 bettas but not sure if that would work with a tank that isnt the traditional shape.

I think the only thing you can do are snails or shrimp. I do love apple snails but nerite snails stay smaller
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 08:13 AM   #3 
Joey Fish

I think sand, gravel on top maybe? I like the medeival idea, I have also seen skulls of dinosaurs, maybe a prehistoric tank, but it does depend on the fish as well.
Joey Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 12:10 AM   #4 
Ramla

@Tikibirds
I have heard similar things, but I have also been talking to a friend from work who has kept varying fish for years, including Bettas, that she has actually had a few guppies with hers, and they have done fine. I was honestly surprised when she told me that.

But I will likely do some research first and look around see what people have said or experienced

@Joey Fish
That is similar to what I was contemplating, though I just don't know a whole lot about the care of sand, I've heard it is different from gravel.

Plus some gravel/rocks on top could make it a bit more eye catching.

But appreciate the input, keep it coming :)
Old 02-05-2014, 07:41 AM   #5 
Joey Fish

If your tank would look more fake, a dark substrate and a few accents the color of your fish could frame his colors beautifully
Joey Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 10:08 AM   #6 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Sand is better for plants. Snails and shrimp (if you have enough plants for the shrimp to hide.

Guppy need different temperature water. As for getting along, depends on the Betta.
Hallyx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 03:37 PM   #7 
Ramla

@Hallyx
Do you have any tips about using sand rather than gravel? I'm probably going to buy some black sand tonight after work, and begin setting up my tank. I've heard that there a few things you have to do differently with it when cleaning than gravel.

@JoeyFish
That's what I was thinking a little, likely I'll get some live plants as well, since I do like them better than silks often. But I'm going to start with some black sand and then find some bright rocks for on top since it is a glofish tank
Old 02-07-2014, 03:57 PM   #8 
relaxedcrazyman

sand vs gravel going into the tank is about the same. make sure to rinse thoroughly before putting in tank.

live plants are awesome! they look great and they provide a little extra safety net with your tank.

i have black sand and lots of live plants in my 10g tank and it looks fantastic. i love it.

if you can get a hold of a few trumpet snails, they are great. they eat waste and decaying plant matter, as well as aerate plant roots (the burrow into substrate during the day) if you dont overfeed your fish they will not spawn out of control.
relaxedcrazyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 04:25 PM   #9 
Ramla

@relaxedcrazyman
Where do you usually get yours? And how big do they get? Snails are awesome and I have 1 small one in my other tank now that came with a moss ball. And am actually considering getting some shrimp for his tank as well...since he needs something to occupy his attention during the day, I swear he has ADHD or something
Old 02-07-2014, 04:48 PM   #10 
relaxedcrazyman

i actually bought some from another local fishkeeper. full grown they are about 1" to 1.5"

i would just look around local fish stores, many will have them and sometimes just give them away, lol
relaxedcrazyman is offline   Reply With Quote