Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-31-2009, 02:56 PM   #11 
seth556

Ok I got a filter and filled it with gravel and a few more plants. I got a aqua tech filter for 5 - 15 gallon tanks and it seems pretty powerful, is there any way to turn down the power?

Also what will I need to do to start the cycling process?
seth556 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 04:56 PM   #12 
Jupiter

I love those plants! Where did you get them?

Your tank will cycle by itself. Your fish will produce waste, which turns into ammonia, and so on.

You can cover the intake tube of the filter with some pantyhose to reduce the suction.
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 05:52 PM   #13 
1fish2fish

Covering the intake will help buffer your filter.

As far as cycling you need to be proactive about it and not just put your fish in there and let it cycle itself.. doing it that way can be REALLY harmful to your fish.

After your tank is fully set up all you need is a test kit. The best kind are the liquid dropper kind available at both petsmart and walmart. If you get the strips they are not accurate at all so just stick with the liquid kind.

As far as cycling goes look at the Tips for Fish In Safe Cycling tread for full info but here is a short version.

Test your water everyday for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. Anytime you get a reading of ammonia or nitrite do a partial water change of 20-30%. Eventually your tests will read 0ppm of ammonia and nitrite and 5-20ppm of nitrate. This means your cycled. This process can take anywhere from a few weeks to two months.. my 10 gallon only took a month but had two fish and two mystery snails which helped it along a little faster.

Once you get the final results keep testing everyday to make sure they stay the same.. after that you are done cycling and you will only need to do a water change every week about 50% and vacuum the gravel.

Cycling this way makes sure your fish are safe from the toxic ammonia and nitrites that are produced during a cycle.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 06:11 PM   #14 
seth556

Ok so I'll need a test kit.

Jupiter, I got some of the plants and petsmart and some at walmart. They are the same brand but walmart had them for a few dollars less.
Old 12-31-2009, 06:26 PM   #15 
1fish2fish

Yeah walmart carries a lot of the same stuff available at petsmart for cheaper. In fact when you get your test kit you can get it from walmart for almost half the price of the petsmart one.. or so I'm told.
Old 12-31-2009, 10:08 PM   #16 
SummerOj

that's a pretty fish btw :D
SummerOj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 12:58 PM   #17 
Jupiter

The Walmarts here only have a few plastic plants and those Colourburst silk plants. I haven't seen plants like that in Petsmart either, they're really cool.
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 02:38 PM   #18 
seth556

I already threw away the packaging but I'll get the name next time I'm at the store.

Would it be ok to put in a snail during the cycling process to help speed it up?
Old 01-01-2010, 03:49 PM   #19 
1fish2fish

How big did you say your tank was?.. the 10 gallon right?

You'll be perfectly safe to add a snail or two to your tank...but if your planning on dividing it later to get another betta I wouldn't get any other fish.. that would make the bioload too much.

A few tank mates you can get are:
Mystery Snails (or any other snail really).. I would stay away from apple snails though as they get really big
Shrimp.. but make sure you get freshwater and not saltwater shrimp
African Dwarf Frogs.. I would only get 1 as they have a bioload similar to that of a fish
Old 01-01-2010, 04:25 PM   #20 
seth556

I've decided not to divide it up, if I want to get another fish I'll get a small tank (2.5 gal) and not cycle it or anything for easy upkeep. And yes it is a 10gallon.

So during the cycle I could add a snail and then after I could add some shrimp?