Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-16-2010, 10:28 AM   #21 
kuklachica

Can this be a sticky?? This is incredibly helpful!!
kuklachica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 10:55 AM   #22 
1fish2fish

How does anything even become a sticky?? I didn't even think about that.. I was just being lazy because there were like 5 cycling threads and I didn't want to keep writing it over and over LOL
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 11:55 AM   #23 
Jupiter

And never forget: Don't wash your filter mediawith tap water! That kills the beneficial bacteria. During a WC, clean the filter media in the container of tank water instead.

Dramaqueen can make this stopic a sticky.
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 04:56 PM   #24 
1fish2fish

Yes thats a great point. Its best if you don't mess with the filter media at all.. just fill a bowl with tank water (OLD tank water..not conditioned new water) and set it in there while you are doing a water change.
Old 01-16-2010, 05:57 PM   #25 
Scienceluvr8

This is really good. I had a question though...I have a 2.5 gallon tank and ever since i've had it I have been doing a 100% wc weekly, and I'm really contemplating on cycling my tank. I always thought 5 gallons and above needed to be cycled, so would it also be possible on this size of tank? Also my filter only uses two different sponges, and no media so would this affect my cycle since I they have to be replaced every 3-4 weeks?
Scienceluvr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 10:12 PM   #26 
1fish2fish

You can cycle a 2.5 gallon tank (actually I'm in the process of doing this right now).

You have the Red Sea filter right? I don't know about these but in the filters I use I haven't had to replace the media yet (in almost 4 mos).. even though its says replace monthly on the package its better to just wait until the cartridge starts falling apart.

The bacteria will grow on whatever is in the filter. But your main source of bacteria will be in the gravel/substrate, decorations/plants, and wall of your tank... not the filter itself. When you replace the filter media just cut a piece of the old and put it in with the new so the bacteria can recolonize quickly.. then remove the old piece and discard.

Anytime you change anything in the tank (take out gravel or decorations, change filter media, do big water changes, etc) you want to test your water for a few days after that.. you may go through a "mini-cycle" as the bacteria recolonizes. Its nothing to worry about but you want to make sure your prams don't go too outside the normal limits. Of course if you get readings of ammonia or nitrite after replacing your media do a small water change.
Old 01-17-2010, 01:41 AM   #27 
Scienceluvr8

ok thanks, so if I do go along with cycyling my tank, my only worry is how it will affect my betta. I know it can be done with fish, hence this thread, but are there alot of significant risks with this method? And if I can cycle the tank, how would my water changes be now? Thanks.
Old 01-17-2010, 11:39 AM   #28 
1fish2fish

Some people say the risk outweighs the benefit but I've done this successfully three times and have been mentored by someone who has been keeping fish and cycling this way for many years without problems.

I like this form of cycling because I try to stay as far from chemicals as possible when it comes to my fish.. so adding ammonia into the tank scares me.. even though people have done it many times before successfully. I've also heard that cycling with food can create bacteria that can could be harmful for your fish (why would you want to put rotting food in where your fish is going to live). Of course this is all my opinion and many people may disagree with me.

As long as you keep up with water changes you should be fine. My fish never had any adverse reactions to cycling.. they acted normal and happy throughout the entire thing. Keep in mind doing the water changes keeps your fish safe.. but it drags out your cycle... you can NOT have a fast fish in cycle and also keep your fish safe.

I do 2 20-30% pwc's on my 3 gallon a week.. I will do the same with my 2.5. Depending on how much you feed, and how "dirty" your fish is will determine how many WCs you do. I would do AT LEAST 50% once a week on a 2.5 gal.
Old 01-17-2010, 12:13 PM   #29 
Jupiter

Yep, I also cycled my tank with my first two bettas, and they were fine! Just make sure you're on top of the water changes as 1fish2fish said.

When I was cycling my tank, I would add water from my uncle's cycled tank to help the cycling process. It worked well for me.
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 05:03 PM   #30 
Scienceluvr8

Ok thanks for the info, I guess it just depends on when I get a testing kit to start cycling my tank. I have the testing strips, but the liquid form is way more effective and I don't want to be taking any risks.

Last edited by Scienceluvr8; 01-17-2010 at 05:04 PM. Reason: forgot to add something :)