Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-04-2014, 02:57 PM   #1 
1RainbowBetta

questions on moving betta from bowl to aquarium -- please help

I'm new to this site and hoping some of you experienced betta owners will help me out. My 7 year old son and I have a betta and I want to move him from a 1 gallon bowl with room temperature water and no filter to a 5 gallon aquarium where I can provide a better environment for him. Our tap water isn't the best, so I've always used drinking water for him and added betta-safe drops to condition the water. I bought a 50 watt adjustable heater and a submersible filter (which is supposedly able to adjust the flow rate but I'm not sure if it will still be more flow than a betta wants). I set up the tank last night, but am letting the filter and heater run for 24 hours as recommended before moving our betta to his new home. My questions are:

1. His bowl has been at room temperature (around 70-72 F.) so to start with I set the heater for 72 F. and plan to increase it gradually over a couple days until it's around 76-78 F. Does that sound okay? When I'm ready to put him in the aquarium should I just put him in or should I put him in a bag and float him in the aquarium first? If I put him in a bag will just a regular clean sandwich type bag be okay? I don't have any bags specifically for fish.

2. Should I still try to make a baffle for the filter? Other than seeing the little betta getting tossed about when he tries to swim, how can I tell if the current is not low enough for him? I read some other conversations about using cut up water bottles or aquarium sponges to reduce the flow. What are your experiences with this? Does practically every filter need to be baffled for bettas?

3. I bought a gravel siphon and plan to do a 25% water change about once a week. I'm thinking since the water I'll be adding will be cooler than the water in the aquarium I should heat it first, right? How should I heat it? How close to the tank temperature does it need to be?

If you have any more suggestions (or warnings) about how I'm going about this, please advise. I'd appreciate any help as we've become rather attached to our little betta and I'd hate to have to explain to my son why he died when I was trying to do right by him by giving him a better home.
1RainbowBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 03:21 PM   #2 
Shane87

Your worrying about nothing really set your heater so it heats up to about 82 when it has put in aqua safe about a lid full then wait 15min so the filter moves it all about then just pop him in using a net or a jam jar but slowly do it and your filter is fine just position your filter so the current is moving on to of the water it won't harm him also these fish may live in a tropical climate but it's not always hot where they come from so that means there not just a hot water fish but also a cold water fish to you and him will be fine
Shane87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 03:27 PM   #3 
Shane87

Also bettas are a clean fish so no need to do 25% water change just take a pint or two out every week then replace it with new water same two pints but poor it in gently and not on top of the little fella also feed him every week a pea put one pee in a cup of hot water when it's soft peal it from its shell and cut it up small don't forget a betta stomach is smaller than there eye when he eats it what a pee does is help with there stomach break down of trapped old food and that also buy him some frozen or live blood worms he will go mad for them what a treat
Old 02-04-2014, 10:59 PM   #4 
1RainbowBetta

Doing some more reading and found the thread on establishing a nitrogen cycle. I don't have a test kit but could check Petco for one when I'm able to get there in a few days. I was thinking of putting the silk plant he's been using in his new tank, and also forgot to mention I got him a new larger silk plant and put gravel in the tank.

I didn't put him in the new tank tonight like I'd planned. The nitrogen cycle stuff and reading so much conflicting information has me worried that the water won't be right. Not sure whether to put him in now or wait until I can get a test kit and start doing water changes first.
Old 02-05-2014, 01:21 AM   #5 
Shane87

They are strong fish when I got my tank I filed it up with tap water then put in aqua safe waited 15min then checked to see if the water was at about 82 then gently placed him in with a jar and gently tipped him in and IV had mine for weeks and he loves it his really seatled in just do that as long as you treat the tap water you should be fine I'm on the stage of breeding mine at the moment
Old 02-05-2014, 09:38 AM   #6 
Hallyx
Reference Team

First of all, don't worry about the nitrogen cycle for now. You have enough to think about. In fact, don't even install the filter for a while. Get used to fishkeeping and tank maintenance.

Your instinct about water temperature is correct. If his current tank and his new one are at the same temperature, you can gently scoop him out of his tank with a clear cup (maybe the one he came in ...no nets) and put him into the new tank. To warm the water, reset the heater every couple of hours until it reaches 78*/80*. You need a cheap, floating thermometer.

Using your siphon, change 50% of your water twice a week. Use 10-drops of Prime water conditioner with each change. Fill a one or two gallon jar with tank-temperature water and the Prime. Match the temperature by running the hot/cold taps until it feels the same. (You can use your thermometer to match temps until you get the feel.) Pour it from the refill jar slowly into the tank. Maybe your fish will play in it while you pour. That's fun for everybody.

Feed him New Life Spectrum Betta pellets or Omega One Betta Buffet. Nothing else until you know what you're doing. Many experienced keepers, including me, feed them nothing else. Feed one at a time by hand, about an eye-sized bunch of pellets once-a-day, or half that twice a day. Hand-feeding keeps a Betta tame and friendly, and it's a lot of fun. Remove any food he doesn't eat with your siphon or a new turkey baster used only for this purpose. Remove any feces you can get to easily. Don't get carried away with this, it's supposed to be fun.

This will give you a running start:
http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/b...h-care-232570/

Welcome to the forum.

Last edited by Hallyx; 02-05-2014 at 09:47 AM.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 05:16 PM   #7 
1RainbowBetta

Thanks for your replies Shane87 and Hallyx.

I'm afraid I already installed the filter. Should I take it out?

Our water comes from a well and it's considered very hard water. There's a lot of iron and limestone in our area. We do have a water softener, and only the softened water comes out of the tap heated. I was told (by the Petco salesperson who I now know not to trust blindly) that bottled drinking water would probably be safer for betta so that's what he's been in. Our water looked really cloudy when I put it in the bowl and didn't clear up and that's why I decided to go with the bottled. Should I quit using that or would it be too stressful to start using different water? This maybe wasn't necessary for drinking water but I've also used Tetra BettaSafe drops as an added precaution. But Prime is better?

He's been eating TetraBetta floating mini pellets with a treat of freeze dried bloodworms about once a week. I'll check for the foods you mentioned when I get to the pet store.

Thanks for the link. I'm learning a lot about bettas. I think this "move him to a bigger better tank" idea has just become more complicated than I thought it would be and I probably worry a little too much.
Old 02-06-2014, 01:40 AM   #8 
Carlieflowers

Hahaha I'm doing the same thing here! I'm trying not to stress too much x) Kinda scary but don't worry! I'm sure you'll be fine
Carlieflowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 08:43 AM   #9 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Your water is difficult. I'ts probably OK, as hard as it is, and it's still better than running so-called soft water. Your water softener replaces calcium and magnesium, (the stuff that makes your water hard) with salts. Freshwater fish are not good with salt, any kind. It messes with their internal chemical balance.

When you get a test kit and can test for pH, you can decide on a course of action. In the mean time, see if you can get your water tested for hardness. Maybe at the pet-store; maybe at a competent fish-store.

Use the type of water he's in right now. He's used to it.

Run the heater to see if he's effected by it and how much. But it's probably better to leave it off until you're ready to cycle the tank. This requires Prime and a water test kit like this one:

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/API-Freshwater-Master-Test-Kit/dp/B000255NCI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1379756505&sr=8-1&keywords=API+freshwater]Amazon.com: API Freshwater Master Test Kit: Pet Supplies[/ame]

This contains ar pH test as well.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 01:30 PM   #10 
panthers24

The one thing I have learned better than anything is that pet stores charge a lot more than walmart for the exact same item. If you get a test kit I would see how much it is in the pet store than look for the same one on amazon or walmart where it should be cheaper.

OUr pet store near us said they would price match things so you could check and see if they do that there.
panthers24 is offline   Reply With Quote