Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-06-2014, 08:44 PM   #11 
1RainbowBetta

panthers24 - Yep, Petco is sometimes quite a bit higher than Walmart. I'll check Walmart first for the test kit because I'm sure they'll be cheaper, if they have what I want. If they don't have it, then I resort to Petco. Or online, if it's not something I need right away.

Hallyx - I'll call Petco and see if they can test pH and if they charge to do it.

I put him in his new home last night and he's fascinated by his heater. He swims over by it and looks at it and around it. I started it just 2 degrees above his room temperature bowl and this morning it already seemed like his color had improved. He is definitely more active, but then he's got a lot more space to swim in. I nudged it up 2 more degrees tonight.

Carlieflowers - it IS a bit scary, isn't it. My husband thinks I overthink everything. "It's just a fish." No it's not. He's OUR fish! :)
1RainbowBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 10:52 PM   #12 
panthers24

I saw a test kit on amazon for $20 and it was supposed to be enough for a couple hundred tests I think but it was the cheapest I saw it and I am not sure on the test numbers but I am pretty sure it was a lot.

One thing I do plan on getting at petco is API stress zyme because it is $5 for 4oz there and at petland I paid $5 for 1oz so that and my siphon are going back to the store.

What type of betta is yours?
panthers24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 11:47 AM   #13 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Oh dear. I made a mistake in my last post. To clarify: run your heater all the time. I'm sure you know that.

Try running your filter and see what he does. If it bothers him, if he hides or avoids that part of the tank, turn it off. Otherwise, if he can handle it, a little current is good for exercise.

This is the test Kit panther was talking about:
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/API-Freshwater-Master-Test-Kit/dp/B000255NCI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1379756505&sr=8-1&keywords=API+freshwater"]Amazon.com: API Freshwater Master Test Kit: Pet Supplies[/ame]

A good investment, especially when it comes time to cycle your tank.

Last edited by Hallyx; 02-07-2014 at 11:51 AM.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 05:48 PM   #14 
panthers24

I want to get it once I have a little extra money.

Is it pretty easy to figure out like is it something anyone can figure out once they get it?
Old 02-07-2014, 06:23 PM   #15 
1RainbowBetta

panthers24 - I saw the test kit on Amazon too and printed off the page to take in to Petco to see if they'll match the price if Walmart doesn't carry it. Will be going tomorrow. My betta is a male veiltail, kind of bluish green.

Hallyx - yeah, I had to read that a couple times but I figured you were talking about the filter when you said to see if he was affected by it. He doesn't seem too freaked out by it, but I read somewhere about using an aquarium sponge over it or making a baffle out of a water bottle so I'm wondering if he'd appreciate that. I do unplug it when I feed him otherwise he can't catch his food. And I've been trying to think of how to warm up the new water when I do a water change and I'm thinking of getting a mini heater to do that. Otherwise the only thing I came up with is setting the plastic jug of water into a sinkful of hot water and watching the temp until it heats up where I need it. I guess according to advice I'll need to do a 50% water change this weekend? Seems a shame to take out all that lovely water when it still looks so nice. If I get a test kit and it tests okay would I still do a water change? Or is it a sure thing it wouldn't test okay?
Old 02-07-2014, 06:41 PM   #16 
panthers24

I think if you have a test kit you only have to change the water when the ammonia gets above 0.25 but not sure. if you don't have a test kit I think they tell you to change it at least 50% a week to make sure it doesn't get that high. I have thought about getting the orange VT at petland for $2 I wanted an orange betta but his top fin is curling at the end not sure if it can be fixed without treatment because if it can't I will not be able to get him since I wouldn't most likely have extra money for the treatment.
Old 02-08-2014, 04:41 PM   #17 
Hallyx
Reference Team

I adjust my refill water temperature at the hot/cold tap. Then I put in Prime while I'm filling the first refill jug.

The test kit is important during cycling and to keep an eye on it after. The routine weekly water change is to remove nitrate and dissolved solids (liquid waste) and to replace minerals.

As for water quality, you can't tell by looking. Toxins are invisible.

AQ sponge baffle is better than the water-bottle trick, in my opinion. Baffle as necessary. Use you own judgement.
Old 02-08-2014, 09:47 PM   #18 
BlueLacee

Location: Colorado Rockies, the land of skiing, festivals, and incredibly rich
turn up the heater to the reqular water temp you want (should be roughly 82*f). put the fish in a safe container and float it in the tank for about 15 minutes
BlueLacee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 02:05 PM   #19 
1RainbowBetta

panthers24 - I'd love to have another betta but right now all I can handle is the one. How many do you have? What type are yours?

Hallyx - I did a 50% water change on Sunday. Ammonia was 0.5 (my "lovely" water had that nasty ammonia in it) and nitrite was 0. I did get the kit but those are the only things I tested that day. From what I had read it was probably too early for any nitrates to be showing up anyway. (?) I'm not much of a chemist so doing the tests was a little nerve-wracking for me, especially when one of them splashed drops of the solution on me and the table when I opened it (and I was being pretty careful). I'm planning on another 50% water change today.

I also got him some Betta Buffet. Now that I actually read the ingredients and know bettas are carnivores, I can see it's a better quality food than what I was giving him.

He seems to be enjoying his new home. His latest "trick" is laying on top of the filter, or under it, or trying to get behind it. I'm a little worried he'll get caught on something or stuck. Temperature is up to 78 F.
Old 02-13-2014, 10:44 AM   #20 
Hallyx
Reference Team

You're doing all the right things, Rainbow.

Cycling is as easy as changing 50% of the water whenever ammonia rises above 0.25ppm. Same for nitrite when it occurs. Don't worry about nitrate. A few more water readings and you'll be an old pro. Everyone does it.

There are places Betta have been known to get stuck. Behind the filter is not one of them.

78* is perfect.