Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-31-2009, 04:03 PM   #1 
SchwimmyTheBetta

Help! With Identifying His Problem!

Hi, First off I'll introduce my little fishy! My fish's name is Schwimmy, pronounced Swimmy. :) And he is a veil tail. He is turquoise, blue, green, purple, and is red on his ventral fins and they are green tipped. Enough with introductions though. I don't know what is wrong with my little Schwimmy. On one of his pactoral fins there is what resembles little dots on the one. I don't know if they are a fungus or what they could be. They have been there since I got him on Saturday, it's Thursday here. They are like little white dots. They are almost clear. At first I thought they were just coloring or something but they haven't gone away. I would like to see them disappear sometime soon and was wondering what they could be.
I would add pictures but my camera sucks and not only that I can't get a clear picture of it because it is so small. He's in a two gallon tank and there is no filter system. I do a 100% water change weekly and it's temperature is about 70-72 degrees. He has a little candle light that acts as a heater also and is on him. I usually turn it off at night. I'm also wondering if that is okay to do or do I need to leave a light on him all the time? He lives in my room and it's pretty bright so I don't really like sleeping with it on. He also is across from my window so he gets some sunlight but it isn't direct. He seems to like it. Anyways, I hope someone can help and sorry for the novel I just want him to be happy and live a long life. :) Thanks again!
SchwimmyTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 05:53 PM   #2 
SchwimmyTheBetta

Anyone! Please!
Old 12-31-2009, 10:29 PM   #3 
SummerOj

I'm no expert, but maybe its Ick (sp?).
SummerOj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 11:47 PM   #4 
SchwimmyTheBetta

Hmm..okay thank you for replying! :) Come on my fellow betta owners! Anymore solutions!?!?
Old 12-31-2009, 11:48 PM   #5 
dramaqueen
Banned

Hello and welcome to the forum. If he looks like he's been sprinkled with salt then it could be ich.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 11:58 PM   #6 
SchwimmyTheBetta

It's hard to describe. It doesn't look like salt really because there are only like 3 little dots. On his left pectoral fin. It is puzzling to me.
Old 12-31-2009, 11:59 PM   #7 
SchwimmyTheBetta

And thank you for welcoming me. :)
Old 01-01-2010, 12:02 AM   #8 
SummerOj

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchwimmyTheBetta View Post
It's hard to describe. It doesn't look like salt really because there are only like 3 little dots. On his left pectoral fin. It is puzzling to me.
Hmmm, I just looked at my sister's fish, and they have the same thing.
SummerOj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 12:04 AM   #9 
DragonFish

Do the dots look like salt grains(that would be Ich, like DQ suggested)? Are they raised? Fluffy-looking in any way? About how large are they? Any unusual behavior?

I'm no expert in diseases by any means, so someone else will have to pop in and tell ya what to do.....but without a picture, as much info as possible will help greatly.

To offer some other advice....you really should get your guy a heater. Bettas are tropical fish who need and prefer temps of 78-82 degrees F. Lower temps make them lethargic(and prone to disease)and fluctuations in temperature(which it seems is whats happening if you have a lamp as your only source of heat)will stress them, making them prone to disease as well. You'll want to get a heater ASAP and get the temp stable, that will help loads, especially if we're dealing with Ich.
Also, a 2 gallon should be cleaned 2-3 times a week, even more often if you think your guy is sick. Sometimes, all a betta needs is super clean, warm water.

As for light, bettas don't really need a light/lamp, most just used them for viewing purposes or a temporary heating source until a heater can be obtained.
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 12:40 AM   #10 
SchwimmyTheBetta

They kind of look a little fluffy. I wish I could get a picture but there are many challenges in that. And he isn't really doing anything different. He is way more active at night compared to during the day. I am going to get him a heater probably Monday. My parents and grandparents (where he is at) are kinda opposed to me spending more of my money on him. But I'm going to have to get him a heater. Like I said. I have had him since Sunday and he has had it since then. I was hesitant to get him because of it, but I figured, "Hey, why not?" And there was something about him that made me keep wanting him. So I purchased my little Schwimmy. :) But anyways. He's acted normal and is swimming around in his tank. I had him in a vase before yesterday when I changed him he seemed so happy to be in the new tank. And it has a silk plant and a pot in it. He seems to love it. It just puzzles me.