Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-31-2009, 04:28 PM   #1 
MTemsic

HELP which size tank for SBI?

Hey everyone I'm new here and new to owning a Betta, well I kind of inherited it actually from my sister, I've learned a lot over the past few days about them and I'm pretty sure my Betta has Swim Bladder Infection. He has lost appetite and lays on his side a lot. My question is, should I leave him in a small bowl where the surface is easily reachable for oxygen but does not have a regulated temperature or filter, or will he be ok in his 10gal. tank with a heater, filter and chemicals to treat the water? I just don't want the poor guy to drown if he can't swim to the surface in his big tank. Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks!!!!
MTemsic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 04:33 PM   #2 
BettaxFishxCrazy

Could you take a picture of him? How big is the bowl? You could get a 1G hospital tank for $10, but if you don't want to spend the money on that, I think the bowl would be the best bet because I think the 10G has to keep cycling. I don't know anything about cycling or filters, so if I'm wrong, please correct me. You'll want to lower the water level regardless so he doesn't have to swim very far to get oxygen.
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 04:41 PM   #3 
MTemsic

The bowl he is in now is about 1gal. But like I said the only thing I hate about leaving him in there is just the un-regulated temp. I will probably just leave him in the 1gal for a couple days and see how he does, and just make sure he's in a warm part of my house, heck the little guy survived for almost a year with my sister in just a Betta bowl with no filter or heater, thanks for the help!!
Old 01-01-2010, 11:14 AM   #4 
BettaxFishxCrazy

Ok good. Than just keep him in there and lower the water level. I don't know much about SBI, but here's a website I found about it. http://www.oneworldinternetcafe.com/...diseases2.html Like it says, fast your fish, meaning don't feed him for a couple days and I wouldn't reccomend the pea because it's not good for their digestive systems. I've heard that daphnia works great. It helps with the constipation.
Old 01-01-2010, 01:06 PM   #5 
MTemsic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaxFishxCrazy View Post
Ok good. Than just keep him in there and lower the water level. I don't know much about SBI, but here's a website I found about it. http://www.oneworldinternetcafe.com/...diseases2.html Like it says, fast your fish, meaning don't feed him for a couple days and I wouldn't reccomend the pea because it's not good for their digestive systems. I've heard that daphnia works great. It helps with the constipation.
Thanks for the help man I really appreciate it!! I'll post a pic or something when I get him up and going strong in his new tank!!
Old 01-01-2010, 03:12 PM   #6 
BettaxFishxCrazy

Your welcome.lol Man?haha I'm a woman, but it's all good. :P