Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-31-2009, 10:23 PM   #1 
kuklachica

Bloat? or Holiday gluttony?

I am sorry if these seems like a simple question :-/ I am pretty new to the betta world (or rather, the responsible, not putting them in a tiny fish bowl, betta world :) so I am trying to figure out what would cause bloat? I have been gone from Monday and returned today, and left a "7-day" betta food cube in the tank. My one fish, who does not like to eat pellets (unless he absolutely MUST) but will happily eat blood worms might have eaten a lot of the cube, or not, I can't be sure because it kind of disintegrates. I doubted that they ate anything, so I fed them about 5 pellets when I returned today and some blood worms. Later I noticed that one of the guys' stomach is larger than normal. Would this be because he ate so much food at once?? He is otherwise acting fine and swimming and flaring, etc., and when I put a couple of blood worms in again he gobbled them right up. Is there anything I should do/watch out for? The other guy, who ate almost as much, looks normal to me.

Thank you guys for your patience and help!
kuklachica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 11:26 PM   #2 
DragonFish

Alright, first off, to answer your question yes, he is likely just bloated from too much food. Fast him for a few days(even if you offer food to him and he eats it that doesn't mean he should or hes hungry)then feed him a bit of frozen Daphnia if you can get your hands on it.

On to the additional advice....those weekend/7-day/whatever else they may be called feeder things are a HUGE no no....they do FAR more harm then good and will really screw up your water quality, not to mention cause your fish to become rather bloated(as your experiencing)if they, in fact, DO eat them. In the future, simply leave them without food unless you'll be gone for 10 days or more(then you can ask a family member/friend to feed every other day or so...maybe measure out the proper amount of food for them to feed in in little plastic bags to avoid over-feeding). Trust me, your bettas will NOT starve. They can go a month without food, so a few days will certainly not kill them ;)

Also, bloodworms should be fed only once or twice a week as a treat....I understand the need to spoil your babies(oh do I ever xD)but its really not healthy for them to feed bloodworms more often then that, even if they like them and prefer them over pellets. That'd be like if your parents had only let you eat your favorite food all the time. Don't feed your one guy that won't eat pellets bloodworms for a while and get him used to pellets(remember, they can go a month without food, so even if he refuses them for a week or two don't give in! I understand its difficult, I've been through it, but its VERY important.)and then start on a schedule where you give a few bloodworms once or twice a week as a substitute for one meal(make sure to rehydrate if your using freeze-dried!) If you want more variety, theres also brine shrimp and Daphnia(for treats)and you can even mix it up with different pellet brands. ;)
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 04:18 AM   #3 
kuklachica

Wow... thank you so much!! That clears up a lot. Now I feel silly There is so much I need to learn. I hadn't given him blood worms in a long time and, yes, figured I'd spoil him by giving him some when I got home :) I will fast him for a few days as you suggested and keep an eye on him. He had (reluctantly) started eating pellets before I left, so now I think I'll probably have to re-train him in a few days.

Thank you so much DragonFish!!
kuklachica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 01:25 PM   #4 
DragonFish

Haha, your very welcome! I'm glad I was able to help^-^ Ahh, no need to feel silly, we were all new at one point and its through experience and asking questions that we learn ;)

Yup, just fast him for a bit, re-train him on pellets, and your good to go! xD Best of luck!^^
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote