These are just some tips that I have just made before you start your new fish tank.
1. If you want a Betta Fish, buy a 2 gallon and up.
2. When you have a new tank and you have a filter, make sure you cycle the tank before adding a new Betta fish or any other type of fish.
3. Do not get a strong filter for your Betta! He/She will have a hard time to swim and will get very stressed. If your filter is strong, you can make a Filter Baffle out of a water bottle. Here is a How To: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread....=filter+baffle
4. ALWAYS BUY WATER CONDITIONER. When people first start their tank and don't get advise from other people, they often start a tank without conditioner. If you do not buy water conditioner, your fish will die quickly.
5. The bigger the tank the better.
6. DO NOT OVERCROWD YOUR TANK. So many people do this which causes your fish to be aggressive and die at a very young age. Do the 1 inch per gallon rule. Example: 1 inch fish in a 1 gallon tank.
6. Get a filter. When you have a filter, you don't have to clean your tank as much.
7. NEVER DO 100% WATER CHANGES IN A BIG TANK. This will stress your fish very badly. Too much stress will cause your fish to die.
8. NEVER PUT A MALE BETTA WITH ANOTHER MALE. If you put 2 males together, they will fight until death.
9. Get a heater. Heaters will make your fish much happier.
10. Add Aquarium salt to your tank. Adding salt to your fish tank can prevent some diseases that fish can get and can work as medicine when a fish has a Bacterial Infection. When medicating, use 1 Teaspoon of Aquarium Salt Per Gallon.
11. Let your water sit for a day before adding to the tank.
Well, I cannot think of anymore tips at this time. Let me know if I need to add anymore!