Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-05-2014, 07:16 PM   #1 
panthers24

Elephant Ear betta good price?

Our local petco is going out of business in a little over a week and they are marking down all there bettas and I called to find out what they have and they have a Elephant Ear delta tail I think but it is some sort of Elephant Ear. They are asking $20 but are taking a 40% discount since they are going out of business. This makes the fish $12 I haven't seem the fish yet but I am hoping to this Saturday.

So what I am wondering is $12 a good deal on it ( if it is healthy)?
panthers24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 08:31 PM   #2 
SeaHorse
TFK Moderator

Sure IS a good deal!! Unless you still need to buy a whole new tank for him plus all the gear that goes with it and a tank of gas to go get him!!
SeaHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 08:36 PM   #3 
panthers24

I hope he is healthy and a nice color I called them today and they said they have 1 white betta and the rest are red and purplish I am hoping he is red but I have a feeling he is white. I like the brighter colors but I may come home with him even if he isn't white or I may go and get the orange veil tail at the other pet store.

I have everything I need but need to take the water to the other pet store first to have it tested before I get him.

Do they require anything special or do I take care of him just like every other betta?

And is it a hardy fish and can it live ina heated and filtered 5 gal with a ghost shrimp?

Thanks in advance

Last edited by panthers24; 02-05-2014 at 08:38 PM.
Old 02-05-2014, 09:09 PM   #4 
SeaHorse
TFK Moderator

I believe they are the same as any other Betta... YES the heated filtered 5 gallon is wonderful. Be very careful of plastic plants on his fins... get silk if you can instead.

Pics please if you do get him!!
Old 02-05-2014, 09:16 PM   #5 
panthers24

I will try to get pictures of him up here if I get him I think as long as he is healthy and active I think I will get him unless I find one there I like better.

I saw this orange veil tail in at petland but his top fin was curled on the end would that heal up by itself in my tank or would I have to do something for it? and the veiltail was not extremely bright will he brighten up in a heated tank and he stayed on top of the water till I picked him up than he swam around some does that mean he is healthy?

sorry about all the questions I just want to make sure I get a healthy one
Old 02-05-2014, 09:20 PM   #6 
SeaHorse
TFK Moderator

Try to buy from a place where the cup's water is kept clean, that they seem active. Yes many fish will "color up" when they are home and less stressed. Some even change color completely. Look for one that is not laying on the bottom, fins missing. They should be active and interested in you when you look in the cup.
Old 02-05-2014, 09:25 PM   #7 
panthers24

Thanks, and VT and Elephant ear delta tail are they both preety hardy?

I found a very preety red and grey one but his fins were ripped which was the case with several of them.

To you have a preference of bettas?
Old 02-05-2014, 09:56 PM   #8 
SeaHorse
TFK Moderator

I DO like the fancy ones. I find it sad looking at all the Veiltails at our LFS. They are always red or blue, nothing else. You can't seem to get a fancy one at all here in my town. Gotta drive over a half hour each way to the "good" LFS. And I've never seen an Elephant Ear there ever. Just Crowntail and Half moons.
Old 02-05-2014, 10:03 PM   #9 
panthers24

Most of the veil tails around us are red or blue sometimes we get in a purplish one
this was the first time I had ever seen a orange betta of any kind in a pet store.
Most of the time there bettas aren't very healthy and they have probably 70 right now and most of them are dead or missing fins or close to death.

I am hoping the Elephant ear is not the same one that was there a month ago when I was in there last because if it is I doubt he will be very healthy but I kinda doubt he is so who knows I may get lucky and he turn out a bright color. But our petco seemed to take care of the bettas preety well they were still in cups but they were twice the size as the cups at petland.
Old 02-06-2014, 11:51 AM   #10 
Flipmyfish

Really? The pet stores here are pretty varied. Triton is orange, and when I was looking for him the other day, there were a lot of orange ones. I've only seen a few purples and pinks, but not white bettas sadly
Flipmyfish is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
elephant ear, question, wondering