Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-05-2014, 07:51 PM   #1 
lovee1795

The Bionic Goldfish

So, while I'm fairly new to owning my own fish, I've always known you're supposed to do at least one a week water changes. My mom, however, prefers to just wait till the water gets gross looking to change the water in her goldfish tank. Well, normally when you hear that the people say how they go through so many fish, right? Well not these goldfish. I swear, they're bionic gold fish! The one we have had for 6 years now. We also have another that I think is going on 4 years old. Some fish are just hardy little critters I guess. Lol
lovee1795 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 07:57 PM   #2 
panthers24

There is some fish that live forever it seems. We have a goldfish pond outside and it is probably 170-200 galloons maybe more and we had 1 goldfish live for 7-8 years he was there when my parents bought the house. We only get around to cleaning it 1-2 times a year but it is a pain to clean right now because we don't have a pump to pump out the water so we had to do it with 5 gal buckets. Every time you lift the bucket up the water gets stirred up so bad you can't even see the fish swimming 3 inches below the top. That's why my parents wanted me to get a goldfish in my tank instead of a betta.
panthers24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 07:58 PM   #3 
panthers24

Welcome to the forum forgot that part. :)
Old 02-05-2014, 09:54 PM   #4 
lovee1795

We had a pond at my old house with goldfish and coy, and you're right that pond was pretty bad, especially during the winter season, lol. And thanks! I really like this forum, very informational. lol
Old 02-05-2014, 10:05 PM   #5 
panthers24

One thing that makes the pond easy to care for is we don't feed them 3-4 months out of the year because of winter and we stop feeding them a little before Thanksgiving to slowly get them used to not eating and start feeding them in early spring.

I guess you could say they kinda hibernate sorta
Old 02-05-2014, 10:12 PM   #6 
eatmice2010

Well welcome to the fish world lol. I know exactly what you mean, my uncle has had his gold fish probably 10 - 15 years and I never new he had fish. I thought he was harvesting algae until I turned on the fish tanks light and seen two green shadows.
eatmice2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 10:20 AM   #7 
Tikibirds

Just because they are ALIVE does not mean they are happy OR healthy.
My sister does the same to her goldfish - never changes the water and they are still alive BUT Im pretty sure they are not happy since their fins are rotting away.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 10:26 AM   #8 
isntanything

Goldfish are tough and can survive appalling conditions. Unfortunately, this means that people think it's fine to give them appalling conditions.

Not being dead is not the same as being healthy.
isntanything is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 11:00 AM   #9 
eatmice2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by isntanything View Post
Goldfish are tough and can survive appalling conditions. Unfortunately, this means that people think it's fine to give them appalling conditions.

Not being dead is not the same as being healthy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikibirds View Post
Just because they are ALIVE does not mean they are happy OR healthy.
My sister does the same to her goldfish - never changes the water and they are still alive BUT Im pretty sure they are not happy since their fins are rotting away.
It is horrible how some people can mistreat there fishy friends and family.
eatmice2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 11:40 AM   #10 
lovee1795

Yeah, I know, but I'm not about to tell my mom how to take care of her fish because she wouldn't listen to me anyway.