Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-05-2014, 08:02 PM   #1 
DaytonBetta

Otocinclus

I have 4 otocinclus in my 29gallon planted tank. They have done a great job with algae control. I didn't believe it when everyone here was talking about how cute they are, but they really are cute and funny.

My question is, how do I know if they need supplemental food?

I understand that they like cucumber slices. Do you just feed them cucumbers every few days? once a week?

[IMG]
DaytonBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 09:38 PM   #2 
Kiara1125

I would feed them cucumbers/zucchini maybe two to three times a month. Of course, that's just my opinion. Others might think differently.
Kiara1125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 10:34 AM   #3 
JadeSparrow

I'm kinda curious about this as well I have two that have cleaned one of my tanks but I don't want them to starve. I know others have talked about rotating rocks that they have grown algae on but I don't know if that would be enough...
JadeSparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 10:43 AM   #4 
Kiara1125

You can try to grow algae on rocks or terra cotta pots. IT's quite ewasy and the otos love it.
Old 02-06-2014, 01:11 PM   #5 
panthers24

I used to have the same type of catfish in my aquarium and they told me that a part of an algae wafer every few days would be good but the problem was my betta and shrimp ate it but my catfish wouldn't go near it. I wouldn't give them anything for the first week so they clean everything else first
panthers24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 02:00 PM   #6 
Kiara1125

Otocinclus are pretty much all wild caught, so they don't take to algae wafers very well. They prefer fresh vegetation such as cucumbers, zucchini, and even carrots.
Old 02-06-2014, 02:40 PM   #7 
panthers24

I found out the hard way they wouldn't eat wafers I wish I would have saved the money I spent $4 on the wafers which was more than the catfish and shrimp I got combined
panthers24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 04:19 PM   #8 
cowgirlsue1

I have put in zucchini but don't know if my oto is eating it. The snails love it. How long do you leave it in. I stick a piece on a suction cup on the wall. Would it be better on the ground?
cowgirlsue1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 07:19 PM   #9 
snowflake311

I have kept these guys on and off for years. They are great I have 2 in a very heavily planted tank they have been in it a year now and I don't feed them they have enough to graze on since I have so many plants.

In the past I have had otos eat wafers they learned to from watching the dwarf Cory cats. Some learn that wafers are food others never get it. I would feed a cucumber every week only leave it in for a day then pull it out.

Theses are great fish but need live plants and a well established tank. Mine are almost a year old and I freak out evey time I don't see them. These guys are not hardy but when you find some that are they can live a few years. They have adieu off period buy 6 and you end up with 2 or 3 that live a long life.
snowflake311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 07:29 PM   #10 
cowgirlsue1

Sounds like those shrimp that didn't make it. And I spend time looking for him every day. Always a relief when he comes out.
cowgirlsue1 is offline   Reply With Quote