Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-06-2014, 05:00 PM   #11 
isntanything

I use it in my 5g.

I don't have any substrate, so I can't answer that question from experience, but I imagine it would be just as good as any other siphon for that.
isntanything is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 05:07 PM   #12 
panthers24

Ok thanks. I read all the reviews on amazon and everybody but 2 were happy with it but some said it drains the water to quickly do you find that it drains the water fairly quickly?
panthers24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 05:11 PM   #13 
isntanything

Yeah it's pretty quick. It's fine for a 5g though.
Old 02-06-2014, 05:11 PM   #14 
cowgirlsue1

Go to sink with put or bowl on floor.. Start water running thru tube and Spill into bowl until you can see that tube is full and put your hand/finger over the ends At tank, bucket should be below tank; plunge 1 end of siphon into water and the other fall into bucket. The water should flow. Does take some practice. I went totally ballistic one day when I could not get the siphon to work. I use a mini siphon, now. Too big and it's hard to manage. Try cutting the tube shorter.

BUT, low tech...use a turkey baster for the junk on the bottom and a bowl to scoop out the water.
cowgirlsue1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 05:29 PM   #15 
panthers24

I think I will take back my siphon and API stress Zyme and order the siphon online and get the API stress Zyme at petco.

If I do a 50% water change that should lower the ammonia from 0.25 to 0 right even if I don't add the API stress Zyme? And will I be able to add the betta before I exchange the API stress Zyme and siphon?

SO to try to simplify my question. Can I do a 50% water change to lower the ammonia from 0.25 to 0?

And will it hurt the betta in any way to be in the tank if I haven't vaccumed or added the API stress Zyme before he is put in the tank if the ammonia is 0?
Old 02-06-2014, 05:50 PM   #16 
isntanything

Rather than keep answering similar questions, I'll be plain . . .

Yes, you can add your betta now.

You can add Stress Zyme if you want, but it's not needed.

When your betta is in the tank, do a 50% water change whenever the ammonia goes over 0.25ppm.

If you don't have a test kit, do 50% changes twice a week.

After 8 weeks, change the schedule to one 50% change a week

Every 2-4 weeks, swish your filter in tank water. Don't use tap water and don't scrub it.

Use a water conditioner whenever you do a water change.

If you do all that, then your betta should enjoy good water quality.
Old 02-06-2014, 06:18 PM   #17 
panthers24

ok thanks. I am going to the pet store Saturday and if they have the EE beta and I like him and he is healthy I will get him or another one there I haven't been in there for a month because the other pet store across the street is better but only have plain bettas.

I am going to try to order the siphon you reccomened because I am sick of trying and trying again and just keep failing. This time I know how often to change the water.

Sorry It took me so long to learn but now I know what to do and thanks for your help and patience.
Old 02-06-2014, 06:22 PM   #18 
isntanything

No worries. I understand that you want to make absolutely sure you are doing the right things. That's good as it shows you care.

EEs are a lot of fun to own. Their silly flappy fins seem to give them a lot of personality. Good luck finding a nice fish!
Old 02-06-2014, 07:26 PM   #19 
panthers24

Thanks. I think he will be healthy if he isn't the same one that was there a month ago. I called yesterday and they had a EE and I am hoping he/she is still there Saturday because that is when I can go in town. I didn't get one earlier because they were $20 but now they are going out of business in a week so all bettas are 40% off plus and I think an extra 10% off so he is only like $10. But If he has something wrong with him I am afraid I will not be getting him if it is very bad because I don't have enough experience to purposely buy one with something wrong with it. I don't normally have good luck but maybe I will get lucky this time.
Old 02-07-2014, 12:25 PM   #20 
Hallyx
Reference Team

StressZyme really does nothing useful for a new tank. You really need an API ammonia teat kit and a bottle of Prime water conditioner. That's a better way to spend your money.

And some New Life Spectrum Betta or Omega One Betta buffet. Then you'll be taking pro\per care of him.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
confused, cycling, question