Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-01-2010, 09:13 PM   #1 
SummerOj

Question Fish tank cleaning?

Okay, so I have a 3 gal Kritter Keeper (not the best, I know) with my betta in it. I was wondering how often would i need to change the water? Twice a week? He seems to like it a lot after I change his water.
This next question doesn't have to do with bettas but...

I also have a 1 gallon and a 1.5 gallon tank(s). I keep my goldfish temporality in the 1.5 until I can set up his 29 gallon. The one he's in right now does have a filter, but I know goldfish are messy and 1.5 gallon tanks are small and that means more cleaning but how often should I clean his tank?
SummerOj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 09:45 PM   #2 
1fish2fish

ok.. don't feel bad about the 3 gallon... its EXCELLENT! Many Bettas don't get half that much.. your a great fish mommy :)

For an uncycled 3 gallon I would change the water 3-4 times a week. You don't have to change 100% each time but should do a 100% change at least once a week.

I'm not sure about the goldfish but what I would say is give your goldy a water change daily to every other day and completely clean it twice a week... that should be more than enough IMO.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 09:46 PM   #3 
BettaxFishxCrazy

Is the 3G filtered? I clean my 2.5Gs twice a week 100%, but I have OCD or something and I like them to be squeaky clean.lol I don't have any filters for my tanks. You could get away with 100% WC once a week. As for the goldfish, I would clean the tank every other day.
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 09:55 PM   #4 
SummerOj

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaxFishxCrazy View Post
Is the 3G filtered? I clean my 2.5Gs twice a week 100%, but I have OCD or something and I like them to be squeaky clean.lol I don't have any filters for my tanks. You could get away with 100% WC once a week. As for the goldfish, I would clean the tank every other day.
the 3 gal is not filtered, I tried a filter but I think Joshy hates it xD
Old 01-01-2010, 09:59 PM   #5 
BettaxFishxCrazy

The currents probably too strong for him. You can slow it down by putting pantyhose over it or you can just not use it. If you don't use the filter, you'll have to clean it more often. Like I said, you can get away with doing one WC 100% every week. If you wanted, you could do 50% water changes also.
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 10:00 PM   #6 
1fish2fish

You don't have to have a filter if you don't mind the extra water changes.

What kind of filter was it? Maybe we could come up with a way to buffer the flow so he doesn't mind it so much.
Old 01-01-2010, 10:04 PM   #7 
SummerOj

I don't mind cleaning the tank at all. I think it was one of those tetra filters....it was a filter my dad had laying around.
Old 01-01-2010, 11:07 PM   #8 
1fish2fish

If it was an in tank filter putting pantyhose over the intake should do the trick... it takes a few minutes to slow down the flow but once it does its really only a trickle.

Until your able to put a filter in there and cycle (if thats what you wanna do). I would keep up with water changes AT LEAST every two days.. thats about 3 wc's a week of 30-50%... my cycled 3 gallon gets 2 50% pwcs weekly with vacuuming once a week. So I think 3 or more wcs will be good for your tank. Also if you don't have a gravel vacuum make sure you clean the gravel weekly (but I'm sure you do.. you sound like you've been around the block with fish ;)).
Old 01-01-2010, 11:18 PM   #9 
SummerOj

I've had fish when I was little, but my dad cleaned them and all that stuff, and now I just want to learn how to do that too, since I have my own fish now.
Okay, it sounds like I've got this down now with all your help :).