Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-03-2010, 02:15 AM   #1 
SummerOj

Red face Is this a good deal?

Good night/morning everyone!
I was shopping around online and I came across some things on amazon and I was wondering, if this would be a good deal...
Hydor Mini Heater Aquarium Heater, 7.5 Watts - 3 of those each for for about 8 bucks
and Kritter Keeper, Large (about 5 gallons)- 2 of these for 7.70 each

total of $41.35

Is this a good deal? I really need heater and good "tanks" cheap, since I am a poor teenager >.<
Debating if I should get this or not....
SummerOj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 03:14 AM   #2 
Krys

Hell, I would. I know what you mean by being a poor teenager, I am too. Luckily I had a few 10 gallon tanks laying around that held water, and got a free good one at a yard sale. As for heaters I had to buy them with gift money.

I use a Hydor mini heater for Horizon's small 2 gallon round kitter keeper and it seems to work just fine. She's active and still a pig when it come to food ><. However I will tell you that they are only designed to heat up the water about 5*f more then room temp. So if you have a really cold room, you may want to surf craigslist and find a cheap tank and heater (They do pop up, I've seen them, some people even give some filters and decor away with them) And if you wish to house more Bettas, a 10 gallon tank can comfortable house up to 3 males separated by homemade dividers made from those cheap report folder bindings and some plastic canvas mesh. Together can cost as much as 5-8 bucks depending were you buy them. and the tank on craigslist can be as low as 15 bucks with a heater. But make sure you have a thermometer so you can have an accurate temperature for your bettas. even with a hydor mini heater. I would get a thermometer just to see how much warmer it makes the water, if it's too cold, start investing in a tank and heater.

Another idea that was brought up recently was using clear storage totes as a tank. It's a great idea. However some clear totes aren't CLEAR, they're translucent and has a frosted look when looking in from the side. However, they are cheap, and you can get them in huge sizes. I'm even thinking of getting a nice big one for Hassan my baby Snapping turtle as he's getting a wee bit big for his 10 gallon tank.
Krys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 07:11 AM   #3 
dramaqueen
Banned

I have kritter keepers but mine are 1.5 and 2.5 gallons.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 08:18 AM   #4 
xSomethingSmellsFishyx

I think you should buy it!
xSomethingSmellsFishyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 10:21 AM   #5 
kuklachica

Have you checked out Freecycle? I bet there are lots of people wanting to get rid of tanks laying around in their basement (and they are free!). Also, have you checked linens 'n things? (www.lnt.com). I have found their prices to be fantastic on aquarium supplies (and free shipping on $49 or more).

Hope this helps!
kuklachica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 01:35 PM   #6 
1fish2fish

It sounds like a good deal to me.. for one 5 gallon and heater you will pay almost that much or more at petsmart.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 01:42 PM   #7 
AngelicScars

with shipping, the kritter keepers are the same price as in store. The heaters are a good deal though, as long as you buy enough stuff to get the free shipping.

I know Petco has kritter keepers on sale right now for a much better price, plus if you have enough in the cart, you get free shipping through them.

Good luck!
AngelicScars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 02:19 PM   #8 
SummerOj

I think I'm only going to get one of each for 16 bucks. Don't wanna feed my new addiction anymore hehe...>.<
Btw, would I be able to split a 5 gallon kritter keeper...? or should I just leave it a 5 gallon for 1 fish?
Old 01-03-2010, 02:27 PM   #9 
AngelicScars

I don't see why you couldn't. You of course have to make the divider, just make sure it's secure.
AngelicScars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 02:36 PM   #10 
SummerOj

Alright cool, and each betta should be fine with 2.5 gallons so I think I'm going to do it

Does anyone have a link to how to make a divider?

Last edited by SummerOj; 01-03-2010 at 02:53 PM.