Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-06-2014, 04:33 PM   #1 
Eep Crood

What kind of fish should I get?

I am getting a fish this weekend. I am deciding between a betta and a goldfish. Any suggestions?

My tank is 2.5 gallons, and I am not stupid. I know that you do NOT need a 30 gallon for a goldfish, so don't lie to me. Like other people do. My friends goldfish lived for two years in a bow and it is still alive... So how do you explain that. I've never seen a little goldfish in a30 gallon. NEVER. NOBODY does that. I do understand that if you put a goldfish in a pond, it will grow to be huge, but it will not be that big if you put it in a 2.5 gallon. And why would they make bowls if they were too small for all fish?

Last edited by Eep Crood; 02-06-2014 at 04:38 PM.
Eep Crood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 04:40 PM   #2 
panthers24

I like bettas because of the variety to chose from but they are more expensive to keep than goldfish.

Bettas are easier to kill if you do something wrong

some goldfish will not die no matter what they go through. We have a fish pond outside with goldfish in it and we only clean it once or twice a year because it is over 140 gals and takes forever to clean and we don't have a pump so we have to clean it with 5 gal buckets. But goldfish are probably the hardiest fish there is we had one live in our pond for at least 8 years probably closer to 10
panthers24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 04:45 PM   #3 
rylovesriska

I have goldfish and had a betta (she died) but I have to say (in my opinion) that goldfish do not have as strong of a personality as a betta, the koi pond (with goldfish) is my least favorite thing in the house because of the Goldfish, I love the koi. But you might like the goldfish this is just my personal opinion
rylovesriska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 05:05 PM   #4 
16kehresmann

That whole goldfish can live in 2.5 gallons of water is true. Just like if I stuck a dog in a closet, gave them food,water,bathroom. they'd totally live...Not very happily. But they would probably survive. Anybody you talk to who's researched and owned goldfish is going to tell you they require a min. of 20 gallons per goldie and an additional 10 gallons for every goldie after that. Why do they make "goldfish bowls?" Why the heck do they make those little half gallon tanks for betta fish to live in? Because people don't always think what's "Best" for the animal. So, I'd suggest you don't get a goldfish if you're not willing to give them the best accomidations.

**Not meaning to sound harsh at all. Just trying to give you the information!! :)

Last edited by 16kehresmann; 02-06-2014 at 05:09 PM.
16kehresmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 05:06 PM   #5 
panthers24

What type of goldfish were you thinking of? If you had a pond you could probably raise a goldfish in the bowl and then release it into the pond when it got to big for the bowl or you could probably find someone who had a pond you could put it in

Last edited by panthers24; 02-06-2014 at 05:09 PM.
Old 02-06-2014, 05:09 PM   #6 
Laki

If all you have/want is a 2.5 then get a betta. Please get a heater too, regardless of what you're told at the pet store (how bettas like cold water).

You have some research to do on either fish you decide on but please don't get a goldfish and stick it in a 2.5 gallon. They are messy heavy bioload fish, their own waste will kill them. Why has your friend's goldfish lived this long? Who knows, a lot of animals are hardy but it sounds like very neglectful conditions for the poor fish.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 05:11 PM   #7 
isntanything

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eep Crood View Post
I am getting a fish this weekend. I am deciding between a betta and a goldfish. Any suggestions?

My tank is 2.5 gallons, and I am not stupid. I know that you do NOT need a 30 gallon for a goldfish, so don't lie to me. Like other people do. My friends goldfish lived for two years in a bow and it is still alive... So how do you explain that. I've never seen a little goldfish in a30 gallon. NEVER. NOBODY does that. I do understand that if you put a goldfish in a pond, it will grow to be huge, but it will not be that big if you put it in a 2.5 gallon. And why would they make bowls if they were too small for all fish?
It is NOT a lie that you need a bigger tank for a goldfish. 2.5g is way too small and anyone who tells you different is ignorant.

Goldfish can live 15-25 years (depending on the type), so the fact that someone managed to keep one for two years in a bowl means nothing. Come back in another 10 years and tell me if their fish is still healthy. A small tank may stunt a goldfish's growth, but will cause it developmental problems.

I'm sorry that this isn't what you want to hear, but if you ask for advice you need someone to tell you the truth: keeping a goldfish in a 2.5 is inhumane. The fact that they make small goldfish bowls means nothing: there are hundreds of cruel tanks and bowls on the market - just look at some of the rubbish they make for bettas.
isntanything is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 05:58 PM   #8 
panthers24

We have goldfish in our fish pond outside that is over 140 gallons and we have 7-8 goldfish in there most of 5-6 of them are still little and only 3 inches long but we had a goldfish I am not sure what kind but he got probably 6-8 inches I can't remember because he died a few years ago but goldfish can and will get big given the space
Old 02-06-2014, 06:21 PM   #9 
Eep Crood

I had two bettas in a 2.5 gallon heated and filtered tank with a divider, one male (Dracula) and one female (vanilla). Vanilla died on Monday, and we have not had time to clean the tank, so I put Dracula in my smaller tank (.5 gallon). we will clean the bigger tank (the 2.5 gallon one) on Saturday and I will move him back in there by himself. I am getting a second tank this weekend that is a 2.5 gallon. I decided to get a second tank, because I think Vanilla either died of stress from seeing Dracula on the other side, or because her tank was too small. I think it is the first one because she was only in there for three days before dying. Or possibly she died from already catching a disease at the pet store. The pet stores keep their bettas in cups for weeks, so I do not think being in a 1.25 gallon for three days is enough to cause death.
Eep Crood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 06:22 PM   #10 
ksamml

You can do a lot of things... doesn't mean you should. This article sums it up nicely
http://www.epinions.com/content_3185614980?sb=1
ksamml is offline   Reply With Quote