Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-06-2014, 07:23 PM   #11 
panthers24

If you want the best for your betta spend the extra money and get a 5 gal with a heater and a filter. A 5 gal is perfect for a betta he has plenty of room to swim around and spread his fins. You could even divide it and keep two if you really wanted.

Put your self in the fishes place. You could live your whole life in your bedroom that was 60 degress but would you want to? No you wouldn't it is the same thing for a betta. He COULD live in a 1.25 gal aquarium but would he like it? No he wouldn't he would like a 5 gal where he can swim around and hide
panthers24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 07:48 PM   #12 
LittleBettaFish

With the horrible attitude shown in the OP definitely do not get a goldfish. You will just be condemning the fish to a short and miserable existence.

Goldfish have lifespans that are supposed to be longer than that of most pet dogs. Sadly people seem to think getting a couple of years out of their goldfish is some indication as to the greatness of their fishkeeping skills.

Goldfish are a member of the carp family and as such are able to tolerate and survive in conditions that would kill more sensitive species. This is why they have become such a successful noxious pest in a lot of parts around the world. However, I am going to trot out the old adage that surviving is definitely not thriving. A 2.5 gallon tank is not even meeting the barest of minimums when it comes to goldfish care. You purchase an ammonia test and see just how quickly the ammonia in a tank that small builds up to fatal levels. I'd say it would take less than a week even if you were conservative with your feedings.

Goldfish are cheap to purchase and cheap to replace. However, that doesn't mean that they should be forced to suffer because of ignorance. Stunting is not healthy and is certainly not something to be taken advantage of, because you want to keep a fish that has the potential to grow anywhere from the size of a baseball to over a foot in length in a 2.5 gallon tank.

In a tank that size I would only ever recommend a betta. That is if you are going to provide it with a heater.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 08:25 PM   #13 
ksamml

If you see how happy and active your fish would be in a 5g then you wouldn't want to go back...
ksamml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 10:31 PM   #14 
panthers24

We have a fish pond outside our house would it be okey to buy a goldfish for a 3 gal and keep it in there for a year or so than release it into our pond? I don't think it would hurt the fish I think he would enjoy moving into our pond so would that work?
Old 02-07-2014, 12:37 PM   #15 
smilingdoberman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eep Crood View Post
I had two bettas in a 2.5 gallon heated and filtered tank with a divider, one male (Dracula) and one female (vanilla). Vanilla died on Monday, and we have not had time to clean the tank, so I put Dracula in my smaller tank (.5 gallon). we will clean the bigger tank (the 2.5 gallon one) on Saturday and I will move him back in there by himself. I am getting a second tank this weekend that is a 2.5 gallon. I decided to get a second tank, because I think Vanilla either died of stress from seeing Dracula on the other side, or because her tank was too small. I think it is the first one because she was only in there for three days before dying. Or possibly she died from already catching a disease at the pet store. The pet stores keep their bettas in cups for weeks, so I do not think being in a 1.25 gallon for three days is enough to cause death.

Oh no Vanilla died! Im so sorry!
smilingdoberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 12:48 PM   #16 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Panther: Read the advice given by the experienced keepers on this thread again. The answer to you question is already there.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 03:21 PM   #17 
Eep Crood

I do not have a pond. I live in a townhouse so making a pond is not allowed. I do not know anyone with a pond. Where I live it gets really cold so the pon would freeze over in the winter anyway...
Eep Crood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 03:22 PM   #18 
Laki

So it's simple, don't consider goldfish!
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 04:02 PM   #19 
panthers24

goldfish should be a no no for your living conditions if they will have a 2.5 gallon tank.

Goldfish can survive outside in the winter time. It got to 0 with a windchill of -40 outside where we live and the goldfish in the pond are fine and it freezes over all the time it has ice on it a few weeks out of the year. The pond is preety deep so it doesn't hurt the fish at all. They stay in the bottom when it I cold
Old 02-11-2014, 12:46 PM   #20 
sandybottom
Reference Team

the reason they make bowls is because of something called supply and demand.the more people are educated,the less they buy things like this. you can no longer buy bowls in many places in europe.they are considered animal cruelty.they have also been enforcing cruelty towards fish.there is a lot that other places in the world can learn from these proactive countries. the whole "don't tell me,because i will not listen" attitude will not win you any favor here.impetuousness will only get you dead fish. research and patience are your true friends in fishkeeping.here's hoping you will change your tune,and discover the true gratification of fishkeeping.
sandybottom is online now   Reply With Quote