Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-03-2010, 12:27 AM   #1 
MollyJean

Big kid and his Legos

This sound like a bad idea to me. Let me explain.

My husband is finally warming up to my boy, Lunch. He's agreed to get a larger tank, and on the fence about a 2nd betta (cause I showed him the crown tails and he thinks they're just so cool looking). But.. my hubby is a big kid. Him and my daughter got out the Legos and started building caves and castles and bridges and all kinds of things.. for the new tank.

I don't know about this. I mean the plastic shouldn't be toxic, and I know I can make the legos stay down (big flat lego pieces that I can put on the bottom of the tank and cover with gravel) but I just don't know if it's totally safe. Does anyone have any ideas if it's safe? Has anyone tried this before? I mean.. if they're not going to hurt the fish, I really don't see a problem with it, some of the stuff the hubby and kid have made are pretty neat, but I'm hesitant.

I would love to know if anyone else has ever tried making fish toys out of Legos. Or has any information on it. I did a google search and really came up with nothing :(
MollyJean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 12:43 AM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

I'm afraid there would be sharp edges on them that could tear his fins.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 01:05 AM   #3 
MollyJean

That was my first thought, too. But I don't know if his fens would get snagged on them. Yes, they're sharp, but they're not jagged, and I remember someone said if you get a plastic plant, run it across a pair of panty hose. If it catches, don't use it. Legos don't catch.

Ug.. I just don't know, you're probably right, maybe they'll forget about it before we get the new tank (snowed in right now, so it might be a week >.<)
Old 01-03-2010, 01:43 AM   #4 
Mecal

since its just plastic, and no paint or anything, I imagine it would be fine
Mecal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 01:51 AM   #5 
1fish2fish

Theres actually a few people who have done this and it looks great. The edges dont seem to be a problem at all and legos aren't toxic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pS4Ly...eature=related

http://i40.tinypic.com/34rtwu1.jpg
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 02:35 AM   #6 
New2Betas

When I was a kid we used legos as gravel in my brothers tank.
New2Betas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 04:31 AM   #7 
Krys

I'd give it a try with Lunch. Watch him carefully. If you start to notice and rips in his fin or missing scales, then take them out and forget about it. But other than that, shouldn't be too big of a problem. But don't use glues or anything if the legos are lose fitting, find a better lego.
Krys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 06:09 AM   #8 
MollyJean

Thank you very much for the video, 1fish2fish. My husband's gone off to build a tree house because of it. He has a 25+ year old lego collection in an 80 gallon tub.. when he gets into that thing, you wouldn't believe he's a grown man anymore.

I'm going to give it a try. Just for a day or two, and see how Lunch does with a small bridge in his 3 gallon bowl. Something large enough to swim under. I can keep an eye on him and see if it does any damage to his fins. Happy to say that they're all in great shape right now, I hope they stay that way! *fingers crossed*

We have a few sharks (like the one in that picture) and a couple of octopuses (octipie?) and a couple of pirate ship cannons, which are all soft edges, And the little people are mostly rounded. Especially the skeleton with the eye patch, hehe. I think I might use some of those even if we don't use any of the buildings they've made.

But the fit is pretty tight, no gaps, and I never planned on using glue. I'm thinking a large flat base will be fine as long as it's covered with enough gravel... And now the hubby really does want a betta of his own. I don't think the local pet store has crown tails, though, and that's what he wants.

I guess I'll be uploading lego pics in a week or two. A little brain dead right now, I have no idea what to make for Lunch, Hubby and kid are the only ones building :(
Old 01-03-2010, 09:24 AM   #9 
Romad
TFK Moderator

You might want to check the other ornamentation that you're talking about before adding to the tank. If you can scrape paint off of them (test with fingernail or lightly with a butter knife) leave them out.

There's no real way to know if the "pretty" tank ornaments are really safe from toxins. I have a feeling that the piece o crap that I had in my crowntail's tank did him in. I just didn't realize it until after I cleaned his tank and went to scrub off the painted cave. All the paint came peeling off. Grrrrrr!!

Can't wait to see the lego caves and tree house LOL.
Romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 06:34 PM   #10 
MollyJean

I know how you feel. The fairy he has in with him now had me worried. I scrubbed and scrubbed it to make sure the paint didn't come off, even though the guy at the pet store said it was safe. With the little shark and octipus and cannon, there is no paint. They're all made of the same plastic as the legos. The eyes are little penholes, and the cannon is just colored plastic. In fact, none of the lego peices we plan on useing have paint or stickers, so they won't flake off.

I have a mini bridge in with him right now. Put it in while I was doing his 100% change today. He's loving it!! He's been hiding under it for a while. I fed him earlier, and as soon as he was done eating he swam through the hole 3 or 4 times all happy like. He's not shy, Oh no, he comes right up to you when you look in the bowl, but he's really loving a cozy hiding spot. And so far, no damage, but it's only been a few hours.