Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-03-2010, 12:37 AM   #1 
IvoryCrayon

Unhappy Old age or worse?

Hello, I haven't been here in a while but I wanted to consult the community about my betta Raphael.

I have had him since Aug 13/08 and he's always been very active and lovable, well lovable for a betta.

Just recently he's been acting strange, like he's having trouble swimming, if he stays still to long its like he gets tired and sinks. He's also been laying on his side a bit which is unusual. When he swim around its slow and jerky. Its giving his trouble during feeding because it's like he's to lazy to stay at the top of the tank. Also on a side note he has this strange white spot at the base of his top fin but it has been there almost the entire time I've had him and it was never a problem. I'm worried.

I have him in a 10 Gal tank, heater and filter, I'll post the specs tomorrow when I wake up. I have to retest anyway. [It's currently 12:30AM]

But with what I have now does anyone know what this might be? And if so what can I do to make him more comfortable.

Thanks in advance.
IvoryCrayon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 09:46 AM   #2 
Romad
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvoryCrayon View Post
Hello, I haven't been here in a while but I wanted to consult the community about my betta Raphael.

I have had him since Aug 13/08 and he's always been very active and lovable, well lovable for a betta.

Just recently he's been acting strange, like he's having trouble swimming, if he stays still to long its like he gets tired and sinks. He's also been laying on his side a bit which is unusual. When he swim around its slow and jerky. Its giving his trouble during feeding because it's like he's to lazy to stay at the top of the tank. Also on a side note he has this strange white spot at the base of his top fin but it has been there almost the entire time I've had him and it was never a problem. I'm worried.

I have him in a 10 Gal tank, heater and filter, I'll post the specs tomorrow when I wake up. I have to retest anyway. [It's currently 12:30AM]

But with what I have now does anyone know what this might be? And if so what can I do to make him more comfortable.

Thanks in advance.
Is he bloated? Are his eyes cloudy? Any raised scales? If he's having trouble getting to the surface, try moving him to a hospital tank with about 6" of water and a leafy silk plant so he doesn't have to work so hard while he's not feeling good. Keep him as warm and comfortable as possible until you can figure out what's going on with him.

Sending good fishy wishes your way in the meantime.
Romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 01:03 PM   #3 
IvoryCrayon

I checked him over. He doesn't have any visible changes. His eyes are normal, and his scales are normal. His fins are fine, I cant see anything that would point to a sickness.
IvoryCrayon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 01:20 PM   #4 
Romad
TFK Moderator

How about your water params? Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, PH? Do you have an accurate test kit? What's the water temp? And what are you feeding him and how often?
Romad is offline   Reply With Quote