Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-02-2010, 03:20 PM   #1 
aerahfishy

New sick Female Betta

The wife and I picked up some Bettas for out daughter for christmas; a female and a male (we were told the two could live together). For the first day, the male chased the female around a little bit, but then left her alone, so I'm not sure if stress and intimidation would still be a factor, but anyways.

She started getting gray spots on one side and began lingering around the same spot. After a few days, she just stayed in one spot, pretty much stopped eating, and now she's losing more color by the day, the gray spots are growing, and it looks like she has a kink in her spine. I have some pictures but they not the greatest - havn't got the knack of water pictures.

We've had her in her own container for two days now, and she's still getting worse. The male is doing great, his colors are getting nicer and he's showing no signs of being sick. They were in a 2 gallon tank with treated water and an air pump. We use betta specific food also. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j2...g?t=1262463439

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j2...g?t=1262463459
Attached Images

Last edited by aerahfishy; 01-02-2010 at 03:22 PM.
aerahfishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 03:25 PM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

Hello and welcome to the forum. Males and females should never be housed together except for breeding purposes only. I don't know why petstore employees tell people that. It's only asking for trouble. The female is probably stressed out from being with the male.I would just keep her in clean water for now and just keep an eye on her for a few days. If she doesn't get any better then you may have to medicate her.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 04:39 PM   #3 
Romad
TFK Moderator

Good grief!! I can't believe they told you they would be fine together. It just goes to show the inexperience of petstore employees. Not necesarily their fault but Grrrrr!!!.....

Temp. is going to have to be btwn. 76 and 82. Bettas are tropical fish and need warmer temps. The perfect size tank for a betta is a 2.5 gal. or more. A 2.5 gal. will fully cycle after a few weeks up to a month and then will only require weekly water changes of 20-25% and gravel cleaning.

They also need a little cave or leafy plant with no sharp edges to feel secure and comfortable. So, until you can get them set up, keep her as warm and stress free as possible.

Good luck and let us know if there are any other signs of illness like struggling for air, floating on their side etc... The female will color up dramatically when in the right conditions. My only female was light brown with massive black stress stripes when I brought her home. Within a week she was a deep navy blue with some light red and pink streaks in her fins.

Welcome to the forum.
Romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 08:47 PM   #4 
aerahfishy

My next trip to the pet store was going to be for a little hideaway cubby and a new lid for the tank (daughter decided to try to feed the fishies some cookies this morning).
She's got a few cotton spots with white tendrils hanging off now. Still could be stress related?
Old 01-03-2010, 12:31 AM   #5 
dramaqueen
Banned

That was sweet of your daughter to want to share her cookies. lol I'm glad you're going to get something with a lid, though.:)
Old 01-03-2010, 09:49 AM   #6 
Romad
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerahfishy View Post
My next trip to the pet store was going to be for a little hideaway cubby and a new lid for the tank (daughter decided to try to feed the fishies some cookies this morning).
She's got a few cotton spots with white tendrils hanging off now. Still could be stress related?
That sounds like something fungal. Google image Tropical fish diseases Velvet and Columnaris. See which one it looks more closely related to and that will let you know where to start.

Poor lil fishy. At least she got cookies :)
Old 01-03-2010, 11:48 AM   #7 
xSomethingSmellsFishyx

I think that the white cotton spots could be a disease called Ick. I hope your daughter's fish gets better! =D
xSomethingSmellsFishyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 12:25 PM   #8 
aerahfishy

Thanks for the help but the fish took a ride down the porcelain express today. I think we're going to look at a bigger aquarium and sticking a platy with a divider in it to see how the male deals with another playmate.
Old 01-03-2010, 01:56 PM   #9 
Romad
TFK Moderator

Sorry to hear that. RIP fishy.
Old 01-03-2010, 02:45 PM   #10 
dramaqueen
Banned

I'm so sorry about your betta!!