Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-04-2010, 01:25 AM   #31 
AngelicScars

I agree with the above. I don't believe you should push your thoughts/beliefs and whatnot on other. People here are clearly here to properly care for their Bettas. That is a step in the right direction no matter how little of a step.
AngelicScars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 01:52 AM   #32 
iheartmyfishies

Neglecting fish should be illegal just as it is for cats and dogs, and all stores that fail to care for fish properly shouldn't be allowed to sell them. As long as the bettas are cared for properly, I see no reason why it would be immoral to buy them. I agree pushing beliefs on other people is not cool, trust me being a vegetarian and nonreligious I get it all the time. But stating your opinions is fine. Veganchick has every right to state her mind, just as I do. I don't feel like she's pushing her beliefs on anybody, just giving alternatives and trying to help us.
iheartmyfishies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 11:59 AM   #33 
keshinvk

how should i buy plants,caves,gravel,and a 5 gallon tank for my Betta if my dad is not allowing me to?
keshinvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 12:27 PM   #34 
kelly528

Print a few care sheets off and show them to him. Back this up with the fact that fish can and do feel pain and stress, and you feel irresponsible as a pet owner by not providing your betta with everything it needs.

Also, bear in mind that the larger the tank the less maintenance it is because the fish waste will be more dilute in a smaller volume of water... a betta bowl needs to be cleaned every day (I would even say twice a day if it is really tiny) wheras anything upwards of 3 gallons should only need weekly cleanings.

Perhaps you can strike a compromise such as getting a 2.5 gallon tank, making your own caves by siliconing together rocks or using flower pots and getting some silk plants instead of buying the expensive pet-store variety.
kelly528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 01:21 PM   #35 
AngelicScars

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartmyfishies View Post
But stating your opinions is fine.
Felt like pushing to me.
AngelicScars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 01:41 PM   #36 
SummerOj

If I was a suffering fish or any other animal I would want someone to reach out and help me. I don't think fish being sold at places that sucks at taking care of them will stop anytime soon, so I'm going to do what I can to help a helpless animal.
SummerOj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 02:08 PM   #37 
Jayy

^agreed ^
Jayy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 05:05 PM   #38 
lilyeverlasting

I know this thread is old. Anyway, I "rescued" a betta yesterday from Wal Mart and I certainly don't think it was wrong.

Your original post did have an arrogant, slightly attacking tone to it, that I found to be rather debate worthy Do understand I'm not "attacking" you but I would love to put in my two cents into this argument, even if it is a week or so old.

Quote:
If you don't care about the many, how can you care about the few?
How can you care about the well being of "the many" if you cannot spare a precious moment of your time to save those "few" that are suffering? Especially since those that are suffering ARE part of "the many" you seek to save? There cannot be "the many" without there being "the few".

EVERY animal has a right to a home. It might not seem to you like you are discriminating against the animals in pet stores, but you are. Not just the store. There are loving animals out there who deserve a home, even if they are in a pet store. Even if they do need to be "rescued".

Last edited by lilyeverlasting; 01-15-2010 at 05:07 PM.
lilyeverlasting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 09:30 PM   #39 
Zenandra
Banned

I just want to point out that Walmart (I dont know about other stores like petco and petsmart, but I assume they're the same) Does not really care if people buy the bettas or not. Every day (or twice a day) the employees working in the fish department must go through all the tanks, take out any dead fish and mark them down on an inventory sheet. At the end of the week the sheet is sent out and the store is given money (a refund) for every fish that dies. Walmart does not lose money by letting their fish die!

If you rescue a betta you are helping that fish. but the store is making money and you are leaving a space open for a new betta to take its place. If you don't rescue the betta it dies, the store still makes money, and there is still a space being made for a new betta to take the dead bettas place.

So shouldn't you help the betta in need? I think so!
Zenandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 09:34 PM   #40 
BettaxFishxCrazy

Oh wow, I didn't know that Zenandra. That's so messed up though...still getting paid for dead fish? :(
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote