Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-31-2009, 03:08 PM   #1 
xSomethingSmellsFishyx

Unhappy Betta Fish won't eat

My red betta fishy, Jimmy won't eat. He puts it in his mouth, but then he spits it back out. I got Jimmy from Petco a little less than a week ago. When I got him, he was eating just fine. Then I went out and bought some flake food for Jimmy and fed it to him the next day. A few seconds later, he spit it back out! Can anybody help me figure out what's wrong?!

Oh! And sometimes he comes to the surface of the water to get oxygen. Does that have anything to do with it?
xSomethingSmellsFishyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 04:01 PM   #2 
BettaxFishxCrazy

Fish need oxygen and they'll go to the surface and "gulp" air and than swim back down. What were you feeding him before the flakes? I don't like flakes because you can't keep a close eye on how much you're giving them and it clouded up my tank. What's the temperature of the tank? They will stop eating if they're too cold. Have you added anything to the tank or done anything differently that could've stressed him out?
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 05:13 PM   #3 
xSomethingSmellsFishyx

I was feeding him Hikari pellets before. I don't really like flakes, either. The water temp is just about the same as it has been, but maybe it's too cold. Is 70 degrees F too cold? I think Jimmy might be stressed because he was a little pale when I first put him in his tank... Another thing about the oxygen. He gulps oxygen about 3 times in a row and it was making me start to worry because he does it frequently.

BTW, in your pic of your betta, I noticed the plant. I have the same one!
Old 12-31-2009, 06:03 PM   #4 
Katana

out of curiositty, whats in the flakes and/or whats the brand name?

How much are you feeding him a day? you might be over feeding, cuasing him not to eat.

I would suggest easing into a mixture of flakes and pellets, so iff you fed 6 pellets a doy, feed him 5 pellets and 1 flake 1 day, the next 4 pellets and 2 flakes, and after that 3-3.

Just a though,
Angel.

P.s. betta fish crazy grats on 1,000 posts :)
Katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 09:36 PM   #5 
xSomethingSmellsFishyx

I'm not sure what the brand of the flakes is. I'll check later but right now I'm busy with new year's stuff... There are little brine shrimp mixed in with the flakes. That's a good idea, but right now, I'm feeding him 1 pellet a day. Is that too little? How much do you feed your betta(s)?

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!! WELCOME, 2010!!!
Old 01-01-2010, 10:43 AM   #6 
BettaxFishxCrazy

Thanks Katana!! :) Bettas need to have 76-82 degrees F because they're warm water fish. I feed my males 3 or 4 pellets a day. Some people spread them out, 2 in the morning, 2 at night, but I feed mine all in the morning. So it's up to you. :)
Old 01-01-2010, 10:51 AM   #7 
xSomethingSmellsFishyx

Okay, thanks. So now I know the temperature it's supposed to be at, and how many pellets I should feed him. I still don't know why he's spitting them out. It might be because the water's too cold. I'll check the thermometer...
Old 01-01-2010, 10:56 AM   #8 
SchwimmyTheBetta

Sometimes my betta does that to his pellet food. I read that is it to soften and loosen it up. He'll do that about 3 times then eat it. Ha. But that is my Schwimmy. So maybe yours is trying to soften it too. It's just s suggestion. But I'm a newbie. I just remember reading an article about that while looking for an answer for it.
SchwimmyTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 10:59 AM   #9 
BettaxFishxCrazy

Yeah, some of mine will hold it under the water and eat it when they feel it soften. You can soak the pellets yourself for 5 minutes before you put them in the tank.
Old 01-01-2010, 11:07 AM   #10 
xSomethingSmellsFishyx

Okay, good idea, I'll try that! Thanks!!!

Tags
not eating, oxygen, spitting out food