Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-08-2009, 09:25 PM   #1 
katherine1331

Exclamation my first betta!

hi, i just got my very first betta, and i have some questions.
firstly, the guy at the store said a heater wasnt completely necessary and would be a waste of money....your thoughts?
second, he also said a hiding spot wasn't necessary either, and that a plant was enough.
thirdly, he said that if you leave some water out for 24 hours it's safe for your betta (without any water conditioner)

FOURTHLY: what should i name him? he's got a white and blue tail and a pink/white body with black spots! pretty, right?
my boyfriend wants me to name him moo-moo milk. nooo way haha.
katherine1331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 09:31 PM   #2 
BettaxFishxCrazy

Never believe what the employees say. I was told when I started buying bettas that they didn't need a heater or filter either but they do. You don't necessarily need a filter, you just have to clean your tank more. You need a heater because the water temp needs to be 76-82 degrees. If your tank/bowl is big enough, I would get a couple plants and hiding places, they LOVE them. And that's not true about leaving the water out...you still need water conditioner. The chemicals and things that are harmful to fish aren't just going to disapear if you leave it out.lol He sounds gorgeous! We LOVE seeing pictures!! Nothing comes to me right now, but if you could take a picture maybe we could come up names for you!
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 10:16 PM   #3 
velocitygirl

A betta can live without a heater, but can be happier with one, IMO. It is kinda like we can live where there is a lot of snow and ice, but the warm beaches are much nicer. My fist betta lived over a year without one, but I am afraid that it was chilled water that finally took him. That was years ago and I know better now. I now have 3 bettas and I keep there water at about 77 F. I have found in my research that the betta's natural habitat is quite warm. Just remember that you want what is best for the fish, What will make him healthy? A Cave would be a good spot for him to sleep, or hide from too much light or if they are frightened. I have read that bettas are sensitive to bright lights and that it can stress them. I usually leave my hood lights on for just a few hours every day. I have also found that researching multiple sources can help you decide what is best for you and your fish. I have been visiting this sight for quite a while, and only recently became a member. I have always gotten friendly and mostly accurate advice from this forum.

I used color scheme, and the bettas personality to name my bettas
velocitygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 10:34 PM   #4 
Jupiter

No thanks velocitygirl, I'll stick to snow and ice over a warm beach any day!

Never listen to petstore employees, they usually have no idea what they're talking about.
Bettas need warm water, they get quite poorly if they're not. Keep the water between 75-80 degrees. Bettas love hiding spots, I'd reccommend getting at least one along with a plant.

Water can be left out for a day or two if you don't have water conditioner. The chlorine will evaporate. I prefer to use water conditioner though, I have more peace of mind (and it's quicker).
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 10:45 PM   #5 
dramaqueen
Banned

Hello and welcome to the forum. If you keep your betta in a very warm room then a heater isn't really needed but a heater keeps the temperature constant. A plant or decoration will be enough for him to hide in.I would use water conditioner to be safe. Prime and Aquasafe are good conditioners. And, yes, a pic would be nice. lol
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 08:22 AM   #6 
ChristinaRoss

i agree with dramaqueen
ChristinaRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 01:49 PM   #7 
katherine1331

I decided to name him Finn, haha.
Attached Images

Old 12-09-2009, 02:09 PM   #8 
dramaqueen
Banned

He's pretty!!
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 03:22 PM   #9 
katherine1331

thanks so much!
Old 12-09-2009, 04:22 PM   #10 
Jupiter

I can actually kind of see him being a Moo-Moo Milk. xD Does your boyfriend play Pokemon, or something?

Finn is a nice name too! He's a very lovely guy.
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hiding spot, new betta, safe water