Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-07-2014, 06:22 PM   #1 
Zadocfish

Order of operations in Betta preparation?

I'm only 2-4 weeks away from being able to (safely) afford a Betta starting tank! As soon as I can drum up $110, that'll do it. But something lingers on my mind: I read somewhere that if you put both BettaSafe and Safestart in the tank at once, it'll kill your fish! But, I want to start a cycle, and I'll have a gentle filter... What do you think? Can these products be used together? If so, in what order?

Still, excited to get started.

Research note: Petco > Petsmart. Petsmart seems flashier, but Petco has more thoughtful product lineups. And it labels its Chinese algae eaters as such instead of calling it a Siamese algae eater.
Zadocfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 07:55 PM   #2 
Waking Buddha

Some water conditioners just recommend waiting about 15 to 30 minutes after adding it before adding a bacteria supplement. Using both in your tank shouldn't harm your fish.
Waking Buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 08:05 PM   #3 
Rana

I doubt it'll kill your fish, but the bacteria might not work. Set up the tank before you buy your betta- heated, filter running, decorated, etc. A day after you add your fish is when I would add the Safe Start, and then wait a few days before doing a water change to give the bacteria a chance to work. If you have ammonia built up then you probably got a dud bottle, unfortunately, and will have to cycle the old fashioned way.

As a side note, you can use any water conditioner- anything that's labelled betta-specific other than food is usually just a smaller more expensive version of the normal fish supplies. :3

I too prefer PetCo, in my experience they have better trained staff and are generally cleaner. But if I have the choice I always go for local mom-and-pop places first, especially when buying livestock.
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote