Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-09-2014, 09:24 PM   #11 
Agent13
Reference Team

Honestly at this point you've over treated. I'm not sure what the original symptoms were before treatment so I cant help you with what the original problem was... However at this point i think your best possible "treatment" is large daily water changes to remove the conundrum of meds. Clean water is almost always the best "medicine". I'm putting my money on this decline you are seeing is from stress of meds.. Lots of different meds.
Now what size tank is this and what test kit and actual results are you getting from your tests? The water changes arent hurting your fish.. Its the meds... And whatever was the original problem. You said popeye? Many times that in itself is caused by water quality issues. ( especially if only one eye is effected)
So plan of action... Start using seachem Prime water conditioner if you aren't already.
Change no less then 50%water everyday for a week. (or more)
Keep a CLOSE eye on test results and report them back here
Actually i'd add fresh carbon and turn the filter back on to remove meds too.
Remove the decor that had the fuzzies and clean with hot water if yiu still want to use it

And best of luck.. Keep us posted!
Agent13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 09:25 PM   #12 
jaysee
Reference Team

What she said
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 06:20 PM   #13 
campbellsusa

Over treated, water QUESTION -large pH difference

[quote=Agent13;3893377]Honestly at this point you've over treated. I'm not sure what the original symptoms were before treatment so I cant help you with what the original problem was...
You might not want to go to the trouble to read it, but THE BEST overall summary (including photos) of treatment - problems, etc. was my thread on 2/6/2014 HELP! Resting vertically...after Maracyn II

However at this point i think your best possible "treatment" is large daily water changes to remove the conundrum of meds. Clean water is almost always the best "medicine". I'm putting my money on this decline you are seeing is from stress of meds.. Lots of different meds. I also believed this to be the case, but the "fuzz" really sent me into "crisis" mode, and following similar threads for advice, I quickly pulled out the new filter/carbon... and added the Jungle fungus fizz tab. Chemo's energy level actually seemed to improve, but now, I'm not so sure.

Now what size tank is this (5 gallon)and what test kit API Freshwater Master and actual results ph 7.4, Amon 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate (barely 2.0? def. <5.O ppm) The water changes aren't hurting your fish.. Its the meds... Original problem -lethargy, clamped fins, lack of appetite, fading color, popeye (both eyes equally enlarged, but NOT cloudy) I understand the first "assumption" would be water quality... but I am very disciplined with water changes and checking chem parameters. In fact, I switched from the test strips to the API Master... about a year ago. I began using seachem Prime water conditioner 3/7/2013 and have done minimum 25% 1/week water changes and monthly filter changes.

Your advice -Change no less then 50%water everyday for a week. ????? HEREIN LIES an IMPORTANT QUESTION - the water we use is farmland groundwater, which has been "ZERO-water pitcher filtered" - Test results: (today 2/10 5:30 p.m.) Amon 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 2.5 ppm, pH 6.4-6.6 Since Chemo's been in treatment, I've actually tested his water twice a day, and never have there been any harmful results.

and (turn the filter back on... DONE) - to remove meds too. I have yet to put in the carbon... (this may sound odd, but when I changed 60-70% of his water 4 days ago, I put in a new carbon filled filter "Bio-bag") Instead of throwing it away, I kept it in a container with aquarium water at room temperature. Could I still use it?

I removed the decor that had the fuzzies immediately and have NOT returned it to the tank. (no more fuzzies anywhere since adding 1/2 Jungle Fungus Fizz tab yesterday. Last night, he spent the night behind the filter housing, but today, has spent most of the time at the bottom . He swims up for air, but returns immediately.

OK... I'm READY to do a 50% water change, if you think it's best... we bought some 100% pure spring water today, in the event we need to adjust the pH level before changing.
Thank you for your help.
campbellsusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 06:33 PM   #14 
campbellsusa

Jaysee, I just replied to Agent13's post. Thanks again for your concern too. I would also like your input please. I have had so many bits and pieces of advice from different people here, it's sometimes difficult to decide who has the best recommendations. At any case... I am very appreciative for all of you.
Old 02-10-2014, 06:50 PM   #15 
jaysee
Reference Team

I'm gonna be honest, you aren't going to like my input which is why I asked agent to post on my behalf. It's rare that I get sick fish and even rarer that I try to treat them. I think you've been given some great advice by agent - there really isn't anything I would add.

When getting advice with a problem, it;s best to pick one person and follow their advice. Pick someone that seems to understand what your problem is and how to fix it. There are always more ways to do something, so when several people give you advice it certainly can be confusing. The worst thing you can do is cherry pick advice because the pieces aren't usually compatible.
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 07:02 PM   #16 
Agent13
Reference Team

The water changes were for getting meds out really.. And in case there was a water quality issue which there isn't . Thanks for the very detailed response and your record keeping is amazing .
Anyway you still need to give the fish a break from the roller coaster of meds. They all have sidee effects as do human meds. You wouldn't take every different antibiotic and cough suppressant and expectorant for a cold or sinus infection would you ?
So after getting the meds out for a while and a break for Chemo if there still is an issue Id lean towards a medicated fish food with gram negative antibiotics in it. Other then that perhaps tetracycline .. But in the food is always a more accurate way to treat.

Sent from Petguide.com App

Last edited by Agent13; 02-10-2014 at 07:06 PM.
Old 02-10-2014, 09:33 PM   #17 
campbellsusa

Thanks for the quick response. I changed out about 60% of the water, and put the carbon-filled filter bag back into the filter. Prime has been added, along with some API Stress-Zyme+ to condition the water. I took Chemo out and put him into a "hospital bowl" during this process. I'm slowly exchanging water(s) NOW from tank to bowl, bowl to tank until he is better acclimated to move back home. I have a question about WATER TEMPERATURE. He is accustomed to 80-81.5 degrees on average. While he's weak, should the water be a little cooler? What is ideal?
Old 02-10-2014, 09:53 PM   #18 
Agent13
Reference Team

Quick reply please! Filter off! Okay?

I'd keep him at that temp. I know gram - bacteria has trouble maintaining it's protective layer at what would be a human fever but I think that would stress him TOO much. So just keep temps as they were.

Sent from Petguide.com App
Old 02-10-2014, 10:36 PM   #19 
campbellsusa

Chemo's back in the tank, swam around a tiny bit and down to the bottom where he often goes when he's stressed. Just as he did earlier... up to the top for air, and back down immediately. Well, it's late and time for us to get some rest... hopefully, Chemo will make it through, and I pray that he does, and SOON! I would have NEVER imagined that I could get so stressed out over a little fish (and everyone I know thinks I've "lost it"), but when I care about someone or (thing), I'm all "in!" Chemo's sweet and so special! Again... thanks for helping.

Last edited by campbellsusa; 02-10-2014 at 10:37 PM. Reason: misspelled word/grammar (tired and hurried)
Old 02-11-2014, 10:07 AM   #20 
campbellsusa

I Don't want to panic, but worse! like SBD! ES needed?

Much worse this morning!!! His little body is NOW swollen like all the pics I see with swim bladder, and when I coaxed him out from behind the filter, he swam down to the bottom and was virtually white faced, and appeared to "hang" with all fins open, not clamped, but his head was down, instead of up. He has NEVER looked like this. I know we said "no more meds"... but what about Epsom Salt? Can I give him a ES Bath, or at least, put some back in his water? He hasn't eaten in a couple of days.

Instead of taking him completely out of the aquarium to the fish bowl, I've made him a little hospital tank from the API test kit cover which I have floating in his aquarium, so he doesn't have to travel much at all to get air. (He's not happy about that, because but can't get to them or his "corner"- but he can see the plants, etc.)

What now? Am I going to lose him?

Last edited by campbellsusa; 02-11-2014 at 10:09 AM. Reason: Want to put this in Diseases & Emergencies