Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-04-2010, 08:51 PM   #1 
Sid

Question Heating a Tank

Hey guys, I'm new here but not to Bettas/fish. I do have a question though, do any of you know of any small heaters or a way to heat a 1g tank? I've never had smaller than a 10g (and those were betta/fry tanks in a really warm fish/reptile room that didn't need heaters unless I wanted to cook my fish lol) so I'm not sure what to use. I bought my friend a betta for Christmas since that is all she wanted but I didn't consider the fact her house is so cold before buying her one and now her fish is kind of lethargic. :/ I think she is a little dissapointed that my new betta is active and eats and hers lays on the bottom and won't eat. He doesn't look sick and swims fine so I'm pretty sure it is just from being in a cold room/water and being in a new place. She just got him yesterday. I offered to give her a 10g and heater but I don't know how her mom would feel about that size tank. So any ideas for heating something so small? And for the record her mom did approve the fish incase anyone wants to yell at me for giving an unwanted life. :P
Sid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 08:56 PM   #2 
SummerOj

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...X0DER&v=glance
SummerOj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 09:02 PM   #3 
dramaqueen
Banned

Hello and welcome to the forum. You couyld try a Hydor mini heater but put a thermometer in there, too, so you can keep an eye on the temperature.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 09:19 PM   #4 
Sid

Thank! I'll see about getting her one of those. What size is it recommended for? It doesn't say or atleast it isn't showing a description for me. (I'm on my iPod so pages don't load the same) Petsmart didn't have anything smaller than a 10g heater so I wasn't sure if they made tiny heaters.
Sid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 09:30 PM   #5 
dramaqueen
Banned

They are recommended for 1 gallon tanks. I think they are about 7.5 watts.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 04:37 PM   #6 
aknight

My Hydor mini heaters are 7.5 watts. The box says they are for 2-5 gallon aquariums. I use one in my 1.5 gallon but I have it on a timer or else it overheats the water.
aknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 05:40 PM   #7 
AngelicScars

The mini heaters are for 2-5 gallons. I would be very careful using it in a 1 gallon. Keep a close eye on the temp.
AngelicScars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 05:45 PM   #8 
1fish2fish

I have a hydor mini I use in my one gallon. Its perfectly safe but you do need to watch it. Bc it has no on/off switch it can over heat your tank if your room is above a certain temp.

Mine keeps the temp at about 82-84ish degrees F which is a little high but my boys don't seem to mind.

just MAKE SURE you get the 7.5 watt one bc the 15 watt one looks exactly the same.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote