Betta Fish Forum banner

Water question

1K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  dramaqueen 
#1 ·
Hey guys. I recently placed an order for new filters and conditioner. Its going to take 2 weeks for it to get to me. The water in my 10 gallon heated tank is starting to become cloudy. I dont know if its b/c I need to change the filter or if its b/c I may have put too much conditoner (which I have no more of) in my tank. I recently lost one of the bettas in the tank so to be safe ive been putting conditioner and stability in the tank. What do you think is causing the cloudiness? Also what should I do in the meantime until the new filter comes so I can change it and change the water with the new conditioner? Thanks.

#2 ·
If you have a fish in the tank currently, the cloudiness is from a substance in fish waste called ammonia. You will need to change the water in order to manage this because ammonia is toxic to fish. I recommend running to a wal-mart or pet store and getting some water conditioner for this if at all possible. Once you take care of this immediate problem you can start researching a fish-in cycle, a process in which you establish the nitrogen cycle in your tank so that bacteria will break down the ammoniainto something less harmful.

Here is a basic overview of cycling for you:

_______________________________________________________________________​
Rotting food and fish waste produces a toxin called ammonia. This is usually what kills fish when the tank isn't cleaned often enough. Given enough ammonia, bacteria called Nitrosomonas start living off it and starting a colony in the tank. They live on all the surfaces, primarily the filter because it contains the most surface area. They eat the ammonia and produce a less-harmful waste product called nitrIte.

When nitrIte builds up, it attracts another kind of bug called Nitrobacter bacteria. They do all the same stuff as Nitrosomonas, only with the nitrIte instead of ammonia. What comes out the other end is a chemical called nitrAte. It's only harmless in big amounts. You then vacuum the nitrAte out of the tank when you do the water change. It doesn't take alot of vacuuming to remove.

In an uncycled tank, you skip the bacteria by sucking all the ammonia up yourself. Since you are cleaning out all the ammonia before the bacteria get a chance to dig in, they never really colonise the tank. So you take care of all the ammonia yourself, which requires bigger water changes to eliminate.

AMMONIA >nitrosomonas bacteria> NITRITE >nitrobacter bacteria> NITRATE => Water Change

#4 ·
If the tank was cycled for four to six weeks,and weekly water changes of two gallons taken out,and two gallons of new dechlorinated water was put back in,and filter material is being cleaned in old water you take out or dechlorinated water,then cloudiness could be from excess food laying on the bottom that should be removed with the gravel vaccum during water changes each week. Too much food or fish waste allowed to build up in the tank will cause ammonia levels to become dangerous to lethal with or without a filter that has been cycled. Washing or cleaning the filter material in tapwater will kill bacteria that helps to keep ammonia levels from poisoning your fish. Water that is added during weekly water changes that is too cold will also cause problems for fish.
The cloudiness you speak of could be bacterial bloom ,overfeeding problem,overstocking problem, filter needs cleaned in aquarium water,filter is too small ,or tank may not have cycled properly.
what are the readings in your tank for ammonia,nitrites,and nitrAtes?

#6 ·
Makes perfect sense to me. Take a sample of your water to the fish store to have it tested and post results from the tests.Ask them for numbers rather than words like fine,normal,ok,good,etc.

#7 ·
Just because you cycled your tank originally does not mean it can't happen. Something could have caused you to mini cycle for all you know. What 1077 makes perfect sense to me too. I even get mini cycles every once in a while depending on the consequences of what has been happening in the tank & how deep I have to clean it.

#10 ·
Yeah it does.

a) You unintentionally destroyed the filter bacteria by rinsing the media in chlorinated water, priming the filter with chlorinated water, letting the filter dry out or turning it off for too long (perhaps a power outage in the middle of the night) or changing the filter cartridge if it's the only media. Whenever the filter is shut off bacteria only survive for a few hours without a constant influx of food and oxygen.
b) You did that stupid, ill-advised petco version of a cycle where they tell you to let the water sit for 24 hours before adding fish. The staff there are a joke :(
c) A chemical (medication, spray cleaner, a drip, etc) entered the tank and did the bacteria in and perhaps your betta as well.
d) The infamous mini-cycle, due to reason a. Somehow a large portion of the bacteria died off and there is not enough to manage the ammonia.

#9 ·
I was originally much smaller and younger. I am taller and much older now, and haven't the inclination to waste the effort with those who are both small in intellect,and unwilling to expand their horizons .
I wish you good luck.

#11 ·
Umm.. why is the OP continually saying the same sentence???

I agree with what everyone has said. You need to test your tank and see where you stand. It doesn't matter if you cycled the tank originally any time you add or take away something from the tank you disrupt its equilibrium thus disrupting the cycle. You have to do water changes to keep the oxygen from depleteing but still not take away so much water that you lose your cycle. Its always a bad idea to mess with the filter.. just take the cartridge out during water changes and then put it back in (always store it in a bowl or bucket of tank water).

Everytime you do a water change you should test the day before and the day after to make sure your readings don't swing too much. Adding new water can cause a swing in nitrates which could hurt your fish.

#14 · (Edited by Moderator)
Birds and the bees....

Having an aquarium is the bird... water cycling is the bees.

Just accept it and keep doing your water changes.

Do NOT keep putting in conditioner though, seriously. You should only use that stuff when you are doing a water change unless it states that it lowers the ammonia if its high.

Also, dont change your filter. When you do your water change, wash it off int he bucket of dirty water. All a filter does is get the stuff floating around in the water like small particles of food, dirt stirred up, and what not. This is how companies get you, your filter should last way over a month. Cut the carbon out of it and let it go. Its its a double layer filter, I recommend cutting the whole back piece off and dumping the carbon.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.