Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-05-2010, 07:02 AM   #1 
Schismfish

190 Gallons / 6ft tank

Ok, I have made a deal with a friend to buy his 6ft tank which holds about 190 gallons off him for 150 bucks and I plan on just housing topical fish in there and of coarse I want to put a lovely betta in there to help sell the tank. So my questions are:

I know you should only have on betta in the tank, but a tank of this size would two bettas still fight?

How many fish would go well with a betta in a tank this size?

And what plants should I be asking for?

I have never really had a tank of this size before, so I am willing to experiement.
Schismfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 09:40 AM   #2 
Krys

Very common questions.

I know you should only have on betta in the tank, but a tank of this size would two bettas still fight?
- In most cases, yes, they will. However some people, very few, have been able to house two male bettas with no dividers in one tank, however they stay away from each other, making territories. I would not advise you to do this. however 190 gallons is alot. you could divide it in two, then have two male bettas and other fish on each side with each betta. 80 gallons is a lot. however you can put many many female bettas in there. but it important to add them all to the tank at the same time. 190 gallons = a possible 100 females. which could either be a beautiful sorority, or a horrible blood bath.

How many fish would go well with a betta in a tank this size?
- SOOOOO many, lol. If you just put one male betta in, or don't divide the tank even for two, you have a lot of possibilities, but please remember that larger fish, WILL and DO eat bettas. With that size tank, you can put many many smaller types of fish in with bettas. These fish should NOT be housed with a betta:
- Fancy guppies, as the bettas will chew on their fins.
- Schools of barbs. Sometimes they'll go after the betta's fins.
- Aggressive fish will take on a betta. These could be tiger barbs, piranhas, bluegill, or oscars.
- Male bettas may attack dwarf gouramis or pygmy gouramis as they have a similar look to a male betta.
- Paradise Fish can grow much larger than bettas and have similar mentalities on territory. They'll go after a male betta and kill it.
- Any fish much smaller than a betta could be at risk of bullying.
- Goldfish are a disaster waiting to happen, they urine increases the the PH levels and they really aren't tropical fish, they prefer cold water.
- Any sort of crustacean, They will eat anything they can, even your betta, and a Betta is more at risk. Betta's are very curious fish and unfortunately, a slow swimmer, being at risk for being cut by the crustacean's claws and becoming food. However shrimp are safe to have, as they eat algea, not fish.
- A female betta, mostly wont work, but don't unless you pl
an on breeding, even though, the other fish will eat them, even your bettas. And they will fight each other.

And what plants should I be asking for?
- Plastic and silk are often used. But you can use live. Chinese Evergreen, Philodendrons, Pothos, Peace Lily, Java Fern, and Java Moss are the most commonly used.

Last edited by Krys; 01-05-2010 at 09:53 AM.
Krys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 09:57 AM   #3 
Schismfish

Yeah I am not planning on dividing the tank as that might be a high problem. I was just seeing if there methods of actually doing it. I know for a fact that Male Bettas in the wild don't fight to the death as they run away and hide, So I thought with a huge tank like the one I am getting that would happen. There is always trial and error, More than likely I can try and add the two and watch them very carefully and if fight happens I can easily move one into another tank.

As for the other tank mates. I really want some crayfish or a lobster, but I know from experience that some fish can become unlucky and get eaten so any suggestions? Also I would like some recomendations on good fish that will live together peacefully. I did some looking around and found a nice PFD with compatibilies for bettas so I think I am fine with knowing what won't go with what. As for the barbs, I would like some but as we know they eat anything, but in this tank would it be possible or would they just hunt the poor betta down?

As for the plants, I rather live ones as they actually do wonders for the tank.

Another question is that I am looking for a good filter, I can seem to find any that will cater for the tank. I plan on pumping air to the tank as well to give a little oxygen in there
Old 01-05-2010, 09:58 AM   #4 
Schismfish

Oh another question when adding fish into the tank, should I add the betta in first or last?
Old 01-05-2010, 02:26 PM   #5 
Krys

Well live plants will provide all the oxygen you need in the water.
When I had my first betta, I housed him in a 5 gallon with my crayfish, they lived together fine, but eventually my parents got a 30-40 gallon tank and we put them in there along with a pair of zebra danios, some painted glass fish (now considered cruelty to fish and no longer sold in most pet stores), a blue gourami (Surprisingly he didn't bother the betta.), a couple bala sharks, and mollies (tons, mom loves mollies). We also had some snails. Eventually the Betta died off because he was a slower swimmer than the rest and was out beat for food. I was only like 6 at the time and wasn't noticing, I don't think my parents payed much attention unless the tank needed some cleaning. I wouldn't do barbs, like i've said, bettas are slow swimmers and will either eventually get caught and killed, or die of the stress of having to keep swimming away and being bullied. For a filter, that is one big tank... you might have to have a couple different fliters, or maybe even a filter used for turtles, but be carefull that it's not to strong to suck up your fish or move the water too much. And I would add the betta fish. It will give him a chance to explore his new home and find some good hiding spots in case he gets bullied. that way he knows right were to go for a safe place.

Last edited by Krys; 01-05-2010 at 02:28 PM.
Krys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 07:16 PM   #6 
MrVampire181

Here's the real question here: WHAT CANT YOU PUT IN THAT TANK LOL. I'd go with a sorority of maybe 20 or so females (adding at the same time) and you COULD but maybe shouldn't put a male betta with them (the problems here are the females could bully the male or you could end up with unwanted fry). Two male bettas in this tank may or may not be a problem. Faith of www.bettatalk.com has three males with about 40 females in a 60 gallon. The way this might work is if they were all siblings and know and are used to being with each other (in a large tank brothers will usually just squabble over food but are peaceful for the most part).

If you want something other than bettas I'd go with White Cloud Mountain Minnows, either Neon or Cardinal tetras, Cory cats, and Plecos (hey its a big tank).

Whatever you put in the tank I hope it works out great and if you have any questions just ask, there's no such thing as a stupid question (well actually knowing the stuff I ask there is lol).
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 07:23 PM   #7 
MrVampire181

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krys View Post
Well live plants will provide all the oxygen you need in the water.
When I had my first betta, I housed him in a 5 gallon with my crayfish, they lived together fine, but eventually my parents got a 30-40 gallon tank and we put them in there along with a pair of zebra danios, some painted glass fish (now considered cruelty to fish and no longer sold in most pet stores), a blue gourami (Surprisingly he didn't bother the betta.), a couple bala sharks, and mollies (tons, mom loves mollies). We also had some snails. Eventually the Betta died off because he was a slower swimmer than the rest and was out beat for food. I was only like 6 at the time and wasn't noticing, I don't think my parents payed much attention unless the tank needed some cleaning. I wouldn't do barbs, like i've said, bettas are slow swimmers and will either eventually get caught and killed, or die of the stress of having to keep swimming away and being bullied. For a filter, that is one big tank... you might have to have a couple different fliters, or maybe even a filter used for turtles, but be carefull that it's not to strong to suck up your fish or move the water too much. And I would add the betta fish. It will give him a chance to explore his new home and find some good hiding spots in case he gets bullied. that way he knows right were to go for a safe place.
The reason the gourami and betta didnt fight is because the tank was large.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote