Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-02-2014, 05:49 PM   #1 
Sabina88

Exclamation Filter help

This isn't urgent urgent but I am slightly concernd
I just had my mom pick up the Tetra power filter 1-3i

I set it up but air bubbles keep escaping/leaking from the intake tube. I have pressed together a tightly as a could with out breaking it but the bubbles keep coming out. There is water coming out of the filter from were it should, but is ok to leave it like that?

I took my guy out of the tank when I put it in just in case. But I don't want to leave it over night like this incase it causes something bad to happen.
Sabina88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 06:37 PM   #2 
Sabina88

I think I have to return it/not use it any more
I left it on, and all he did for the most part was stay in one spot. He doesn't swim much normaly but now he was hesitant to move. And I think its to strong for him.
Do you think I could you use a airstone instead? I for the most part need something to keep the warm water circulated.
Is there any other small filters that good for 2 gallons? Would a sponge filter work?
Old 02-03-2014, 11:20 AM   #3 
Hallyx
Reference Team

The Tetra 3i is technically a sponge filter. That is it uses an airpump to create bubbles which pull water through the filter media.

Unfortunately the 3i is so poorly designed it does not work effectively. The water flows over the top 10% of the filter cartridge. It's supposed to flow through the entire filter cartridge. Take it back and tell them it doesn't work right, because it doesn't (and never will).

In the mean time, see about getting one of these:
Power Filter for Small & Desktop Aquariums: Azoo Palm Filter

Or read up on sponge filters. A "good" sponge filter is a great thing for a Betta tank.

Many keepers don't bother with filters in 2g tanks, relying on twice weekly 50% water changes, with an occasional thorough tank cleaning. And Prime every other day.

Last edited by Hallyx; 02-03-2014 at 11:22 AM.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 02:29 PM   #4 
Sabina88

I wouldn't mind doing the 50% water changes.
But more then anything I need something to keep the water moving to keep the tank warm, in this case could I just get a air stone instead?
I do also plan on returning it.
Ill have my mom pick up a breader net for him so he can live in the 40g sorority until im able to get him the filter.
Old 02-03-2014, 03:04 PM   #5 
Hallyx
Reference Team

If your heater is adequate, you should be able to keep an entire 2g tank warm just by running the heater; convection will distribute the heat. It takes a pretty big tank to develop measurable cold spots.

An adequate heater for a 2g tank is a 25W adjustable. Not that it needs 25W (it only needs 10W), but it should be adjustable, so that you can maintain you selected temperature under any reasonable circumstances. And 25W is the smallest size that adjustables come in.

Yes, an airstone will provide some circulation. But. if you're going to go through the trouble of running an airpump and airlines and airstone, you might as well get a small sponge filter and run that.

See if this is any help:
http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/b...torial-318602/
Old 02-03-2014, 03:11 PM   #6 
Sabina88

I cant remember off hand which exact heater I have, but it now it was one of the ones labled as "made for up to 10", and only has one setting and is at 75.
Unfortunetly it doesn't keep the tank warm, which also slightly confuses me.
We let our house get down to 65 degrees at night, but when I stay up to/past 12:00 when I look at the thermometer it still says 75, but no mater what when I wake up in the morning to (6:30 on weekdays) its always about 60ish degrees.
Old 02-03-2014, 03:31 PM   #7 
Hallyx
Reference Team

If your heater maintains a tank temperature of 75* regardless of the outside temperature, then it's probably a "pre-set" heater. Better than a pad, not as good as an adjustable.

See what happens when you place the heater horizontally near the bottom of the tank, near an end.

You might also try covering your tank with cling-film. This helps keep warm air in and cuts down on evaporation cooling
Old 02-03-2014, 03:37 PM   #8 
Sabina88

I actualy tried having the filter horizontal at one end.
Ill try it with cling wrap over night, but im definitely going to move him to my sorority for the time being, especialy just in case it doesn't work.
I think what ill do is, if the cling wrap doesn't work then ill order the filter tomorrow.

Thanks so much for all your help so far
Old 02-04-2014, 02:53 PM   #9 
Sabina88

Hale spent last night in a breeder box in my sorority tank. Today I came home to very percise bubble nest under a leaf of a fake plant I had in there and him being very intrigued by all the females.

Anyways last night I put cling wrap on the 2 gallon tank and the glass cover. The temp in the tank when I went to bed was aprox. 74. When I got up this morning it was only down 1 degree And it maintained that temp the whole time I was at school.
So I did move Hale back into his tank though since I didn't want him to get to stressed out by the females. at the moment im going to leave the cling wrap on.

My only concern is that If I leave Hale in the tank, with the cling wrap and the glass cover, will that give him enough air while im asleep and at school?
There is a little gap due to the heater cord, but is that enough?
Old 02-05-2014, 03:36 AM   #10 
Hallyx
Reference Team

During shipping, Betta spend days in fish-bags with no breathing difficulties. There's plenty of nice warm, moist air under the cling-wrap, which they like.

All of my tanks are covered with the stuff. Keeps them from jumping out, too.