Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-02-2010, 04:21 PM   #1 
ThePearlFish

55 gallon!!

So, I MIGHT be using a 55 gallon tank I bought off craigslist for a fish tank! Welll, MAYBE that is. The tank was 30 bucks!! It is sooo rare to find a 55 gallon for just 30 dollars. And what made it even more a spectacular deal is that the seller said he had two and 2 people were coming to look at them both yesterday, but they never did. I was so happy when I heard that :P I originally wanted to use the tank for my Bearded Dragon, but the width is kinda skinny. only 12". Soo, I dunno how that would work for my lizard.

If I DO use it for a fish tank I am thinking about doing that way too cool awesome idea that Jupiter had about the 4 seasons with a Betta in each section. I don't think the Bettas would mind having the extra room to swim. I dunno we will see.

I will let you know what I decide! An if I do use it for fish I'll show you all the results! :) Regardless, I am going to use the tank for fish after my lizard passes away in a few years.

~TPF
ThePearlFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 09:31 AM   #2 
ThePearlFish

Bump/Update-

So, I decided to use the 55 gallon as a fish tank and I just need to figure out how to divide everything for a tank so big or specifically what I want to do with it.

I have 3 possible plans:

1.) Maybe I can divide one half for Bettas, about 27.5g (that half I would divide for the Bettas in the theme I wanted to do) and the other 27.5g half I could divide for more Bettas in another themed section.

2.) One half divided for Bettas in the theme I wanted to do originally and the other 27.5 gallons can be a community fish section.

3.) Use the whole 55 gallons divided into 4 sections for my original plan.

Or do you have any other suggestions? I do want to do something with Bettas.

What do you think of my plans or what do you think I should do?

Thanks! I'm soo excited !

~TPF
Old 01-04-2010, 11:16 AM   #3 
ThePearlFish

Hmm, where is everyone? :P

So, I decided at least on what I am going to do with the 55g.

I am going to on one side transfer everything from my 20 gallon long community tank (in my siggy) and with the other 1/2 of the tank I am going to divide it up into 4 sections for four Bettas. I do have a few questions though for people with experience with larger tanks (or for anyone who can help out really).

1.) I am looking for a stand for my 55g, but since I am on an extremely tight budget I was wondering if I could use 2 of these, side by side as a tank stand for it. I already have my 20g Long on one and it fits it almost perfectly. Only like less than 1/2 an inch of the tank is hanging off the sides of the platform.

here is the link for it:

http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/60073164

and here is my 20g Long on it:

So, if I put 2 of the "stands" side by side, could that be adequate to support the 55g properly? It looks to be almost the correct dimensions at least.

2.) I have the heater from my 20g long which is Visi-Therm Stealth 75w for up to 25g. I also have 2 other heaters, a 50w and another 75w older style Visi-therm heaters (which I am guessing work). Should I use all three to heat the tank or only two? If so, which ones and at what temp. should I set them to so I don't overheat the tank or have it too cold? (I am going to spread them on both sides of the tank to create more ambient heat rather than hotter on one side than the other)

3.) Anyone know of cheap 55g dividers I can buy from somewhere or how to make them for cheap? I am extremely inept at being handy so if there is a relatively easy way to make them I would appreciate it. :)

Well, thats it for now. :)

I just need to buy another filter (cus I have one only up to 20g), a hood, the dividers and the stands. and the stuff for decorating the tank of course!

~TPF

Last edited by ThePearlFish; 01-04-2010 at 11:21 AM.
Old 01-04-2010, 02:50 PM   #4 
wallywestisthebest333

WOW! I like your plan! =] Each betta will have about 7 gallons to themselves in the divided half! =] That's a pretty sweet plan! =]
So is your original plan the four seasons or something else! =] I'd love to hear more about it! =]

Here's a great thread on another forum (I found a link to it on this forum) about making your own dividers. I think other people on this forum have used it to make their own dividers before and it's supposed to be really cheap! =] Oh! The best thing about it is that in a reply to the original post someone said that they used the same method for their 75 gallon by using fishing line to connect different sheets of mesh so I think if you do the same thing you should have success with your 50 gallon! =]

anyway here's the link: http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/diy-aquarium/diy-aquarium-tank-dividers-21866/

I have no idea if the 2 stands together will work or not because I have no idea how long the 20 gallon tank is or how long the 55 gallon tank is... but it might not since if you double the length of your 20 gallong it'd only cover the the length of a 40 gallon (in theory...I still don't have my own tank yet so idk how it all works) so I'd get 3 stands (or 2 if you plan on using the one your already have) I think that it would definately fit then! =] and about 5 gallons of room on each side to spare! =]

The stand is beautiful and it has AWESOME storage to boot! =] You could store all the fish supplies in the middle stand and books and other things on the other two! =] Candles and statuets or small vases/bowls would look especially beautiful! =]

Your setup is gonna be beautiful! =] Congratulations on your find and Good luck! =]
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 04:43 PM   #5 
ThePearlFish

Quote:
So is your original plan the four seasons or something else! =] I'd love to hear more about it! =]
Yes it is :) I will have to explain more about my design plan later, but I plan on getting a white Betta for winter, a blue one for summer, red for autumn and if I can find one, a green for spring. gravel, backgrounds and decorations will match the concept of each season.

Quote:
The best thing about it is that in a reply to the original post someone said that they used the same method for their 75 gallon by using fishing line to connect different sheets of mesh so I think if you do the same thing you should have success with your 50 gallon! =]
I was wondering how to attach mesh pieces together if I went that route! So, that is an awesome link for me.

Quote:
I have no idea if the 2 stands together will work or not because I have no idea how long the 20 gallon tank is or how long the 55 gallon tank is...
The length of the 20g long is 30" and the length of the "stand" (which is truly a side table) is 29" so 2 side tables/ the 55g (about 48"long)--> 29+29= 58 so I should have extra room to spare (as I see it at least- I got all my maths right, right ?? haha!). The one that holds my 20g long also seems to support the weight of the tank nicely so I am guessing it the 2 would with the 55g.

I will explain more about the split seasons section later I have to go help the BF take down xmas decorations. :P

~TPF
Old 01-06-2010, 08:12 AM   #6 
ThePearlFish

So, here is my plan for the seasons section of my tank:

Spring:

-Green Betta if I can find one.
-this decoration (with the blue blossoms)-

-plants or some sort of coverage that looks "springy"
-a background that has cherry blossoms or some other type of spring-like one.
-a forest type looking gravelly jade I saw at Michael's.

Summer:

-A Blue Betta.
-Beach sand.
-An oceany background.
-this decoration-

-Another decoration to provide hiding places.

Autumn:

-A Red Betta.
-Orange or Orange/Red Mixed Gravel.
-This plant decoration:

-Another decoration to provide hiding place/coverage.
-Autumn-like Background.

Winter:

- A White Betta.
-This background (iridescent/white one)-

or another wintery background.

-I bought gemstones that are a mix of clear/iridescent white and frosty ones for the substrate.
-Also want to place these over the gemstones:

-Some wintery-like decorations.

~TPF
Old 01-06-2010, 12:24 PM   #7 
dramaqueen
Banned

Sounds great!! I can't wait to see the finished product! :)
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 07:51 PM   #8 
wallywestisthebest333

I agree! =] I Love the decorations that you've chosen! =]
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 02:29 PM   #9 
ChristinaRoss

id be very concerned with using side tables as a support for this tank. a 55 gallon will weigh approximately 500-600 POUNDS when water, gravel and all accessories are added.
ANY ledge of the glass isdes that are not completely supported would probably eventually make a leak from the uneven support causing stress.

have anyone handy around? for about $30 you can make a 2x4 stand for a 55 gallon that will completely support that weight.

good luck with it and have fun.
ChristinaRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 08:05 AM   #10 
ThePearlFish

Thanks for the replies. :)

I will have to think about the stand, because I don't have anyone that is THAT handy around. :P The length I feel will be okay for the idea I had above and it is the same width as my 20g long and that tank fits perfectly -width wise- on the above stand. Of course it is smaller than a 55g., but even a 20g tank is heavy. I dunno yet.. My BF and I do want the stand to match our other furniture, which is the same color.

I need to find something like fishing line or something to tie the mesh I got for the dividers together. I might have to cut a strip of mesh and attach it to the side of the "divider" because there is a lot of space between the walls of the tank. I need to get those report binders though, for the holders of the dividers before I decide to make the dividers wider, in case the report tabs work to widen the divider in itself. I dunno if that made sense, I am not the best at explaining things sometimes LOL. Also, Staples seems to have the poorest selection of the report binder tabs! From them, I could get either blue ones or white, but white comes in a pack of 50! I just want the small packs in the color black :P

My friend who gave me my Yellow Betta said her school might have some more Bettas at the end of the school year and she could get me Bettas for my tank :) I told her if they had any I wanted a pure ruby red one and completely Blue colored one. I doubt they would have any whites or greens. My friend has a white with a pinkish tint from her school though so there is a possibility they might have one.

~TPF