Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-09-2014, 10:28 AM   #1 
Betta502

I NEED a bigger tank

Hey guys!

I'm new the the betta world, about one week in. I own a female crown tail betta. She is fairly active and heathy, got her from petsmart if anyone is wondering.

I just have on huge major issue.

She is still living in a bowl the size of the cup she came in- I will try and attach a picture. I went to the store to pick her out and planned on getting a three gallon starter tank. I assumed my mom would be ok with this because I was paying for it. After I get the fish, she refused to let me buy it saying she had a great "tank" at home that she just remembered about. Reluctantly, I went home to see this new tank. It was no bigger than the up she came in. I was furious. Not to mention, inorder to keep the ammonia and nitrate levels down, I am cleaning two times a day, sometimes four if I'm home.

I found this amazing 3.5 gallon tank that had a filter, heater, ect ect that I want to buy, it's around 30 bucks. My mom thinks that because they come in a small cup, they are happy there. She also believes that they dont swim around much- I don't know how she expects them to swim in a cup.

Im have also proven I am responsible. I take care of a dog (along with my brother) and two guinea pigs living in a home made cage I paid for so they would have enough room, and now a betta. I am also 15 years old with a job and good grades.
Betta502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 11:13 AM   #2 
mart

Unfortunately your mom was given the impression back years ago that it was safe to keep them that way, and it was ok. But since then, it has been proven different. It may be hard to convince her unless you find some documented proof. Try searching the web, there is a lot of documentation on the correct way to keep a Betta.
Hope this helps you out.
mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 12:22 PM   #3 
Rana

I would show her some of the pages on this website talking about tank size, or other reputable sources, and show her how happy bettas look in larger tanks. Explain that it's actually less work for a larger tank and she'll be less likely to get sick.

If you think this tactic will work better, maybe say that you really want to have a cool tank and you don't have enough space in the current one for decorating. Or that you have the perfect spot for a tank, but the small tank looks so small and a bigger one would fill the space better.

And of course, you could always get a ride to the store with someone else and just bring the tank home. I don't know what your relationship is like with your mother and I don't want to suggest you make her angry, but if it's your own money and it's for the welfare of an animal...
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 12:51 PM   #4 
mart

Here is a good link for her to read, or you to read to her.http://bettacare101.com/mythvsreality/
Old 02-09-2014, 08:14 PM   #5 
Betta502

Thanks! I talked to my mom and she still isn't budging. I looked online and decided to just buy one online. Save my mom to the trip to the petstore.
Betta502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 09:38 PM   #6 
Kumo

I always recommend a 5 gallon minimum for people new to the aquarium world. That way, you have room to add one or two extra small fish if you wanted to look at other animals. Just make sure you have the proper heater/filter/substrate for the tank size. Different animals prefer different foods (and some are quiet picky, when I had my clawed frog, she was a VERY picky eater). The decorations will generally depend on the animals as well.
Kumo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 09:42 AM   #7 
mart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumo View Post
I always recommend a 5 gallon minimum for people new to the aquarium world. That way, you have room to add one or two extra small fish if you wanted to look at other animals. Just make sure you have the proper heater/filter/substrate for the tank size. Different animals prefer different foods (and some are quiet picky, when I had my clawed frog, she was a VERY picky eater). The decorations will generally depend on the animals as well.
Don't think a 5 gal would be a good idea in this situation. Her mother doesn't even want her to have anything bigger than a cup. If she gets a 2.5 and her mother doesn't give her up for adoption, then she should be fine.
Old 02-10-2014, 04:42 PM   #8 
Tikibirds

There are some goldfish bowls that are about 2.5 gallons and there are 2.5-5 gallon kritter keepers. If she objects to an actual tank, maybe you would have better luck trying to convince her to get one of those drum goldfish bowls. Not all of them are small.

My mother also has the same mindset but seeing as how I am 34, I dont listen to her
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 01:05 AM   #9 
RainbowsHaven

Good luck! Ordering the tank online is a great idea and you definitely have the right mindset about your new fish! As others have said, a 5 gallon is great, but a betta can be completely happy in a 2.5-3 gallon tank as well. I've had Gallifrey in his 3 gallon tank for the past few months and just got the money to buy him a new tank--he loves/d his 3 gallon though! :)
RainbowsHaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 08:20 AM   #10 
Taeanna
Reference Team

I have my boys in approximately 2.5G each (one in his own tank and two rooming together in a 5G. I wanted larger but unfortunately a 20L/5G in aus costs upwards of 70 dollars and I am a uni student. The 5G I have was a really lucky find from a dollar store that for some reason had a couple of spare tanks come in for 20bucks! I almost shouted for joy in a crowded shopping center. (note that is australian money- our dollars don't stretch as far as yours does and we arent paid enough to equalize it out. Many Aussies I know order from amazon and pay for the air freight because it still comes out cheaper than buying local)

Plus the 5G I had was supposed to be for my at the time only betta...and then I found a rescue that needed me...and another one...so now the triplets live with me and I yell at them a lot about various things...like Kenji's hatred of pen lids.

My rambling point being= 2.5G is the standard but a 5G is the GOLD standard! Anything higher is platinum and a worlds best fish mummy trophy
Taeanna is offline   Reply With Quote