Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-10-2014, 03:57 PM   #1 
sourjacks

ICH and bleeding fins

I rescued a sick betta at the pet store the other day. He has ich.. So the first day I added general cure by API, because I thought it was a parasite. The next day I did a 100% water change and saw it was ich (it's a little hard to see because he is a light pink) and added 2 tsp of aquarium salt (2.5 gal) and added 2 drops of QUICK CURE by AP. Next day (yesterday) I did a 25% water change and added two more tsp of aquarium salt and 2 more drops of quick cure. He wont eat, and today he is darting less but still jerky and itching on the rocks, so I went up to him to try and feed him and his fins are BLEEDING!!! Should I take out the rocks? Why is he bleeding?? Today I am supposed to do a 25% change and add two more tsp of aquarium salt (making it 3x the normal dosage) but I'm nervous about his fins. And I read the only way to get ich off of the body is to raise the temp to 85 and his tank is only at 80 degrees because that's as how as the heater will go.

I've been getting my info from this thread:
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=73332
sourjacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 03:59 PM   #2 
sourjacks

I also feel like he is blind because he completely ignores me even when I wiggle my finger in there, and drop food in he swims right past it! So close his body will skim the food floating on the surface but won't look at it
Old 02-10-2014, 04:53 PM   #3 
sourjacks

Here's a picture of him. crappy but it's the best my phone camera can do, plus he won't stop fidgeting
Attached Images

Old 02-10-2014, 08:34 PM   #4 
Taeanna
Reference Team

When you say you added more salt- is there currently more salt in the tank than the water it contains?
Remember that you never need to redose water if it already has salt in it, only freshwater going in.

If the salt dose is too high I suggest you swap out half his water with fresh untreated water now to dilute it.

Also I know this is frustrating to do when you are worried but can you please fill this out? it helps us diagnose better when we have all the gritty answers done with. http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=49233

edit- by the looks of his fins his system is having a really hard time. I highly recommend doing a water swap to dilute the salt in the water.
Taeanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 12:23 AM   #5 
sourjacks

well it says to change some water and then do two more doses, i'm reading under the ICH column.

Housing
What size is your tank? 2.5 gal
What temperature is your tank? 78/79*
Does your tank have a filter? no
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? he's eaten one omega one buffet pellet
How often do you feed your betta fish? ^^

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? everyday
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 1st day 100%, two days after 25%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? betta safe water conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? no

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? started with ich now his fins are bleeding
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? got him like this: he scratches on rocks
When did you start noticing the symptoms? at pet store a few days ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? 1st day general cure by api, noticed it wasnt parasite and had ich so 100% water change then added salt and quick cure, everyday doing 25% water changes and adding 2 tsp of salt per gallon and quick cure
Does your fish have any history of being ill? dont know
How old is your fish (approximately)? don't know but he's big so at least a year old?
Old 02-11-2014, 05:13 PM   #6 
sourjacks

I did a 100% water change last night and added 2 tsp of aquarium salt and 2 drops of quick cure, also slowly acclimating him to 86 degree water to try and get the ich off of the skin and then the salt and quick cure would kill the free swimming stupid pests!!!! This morning he isn't moving much with his body vertically at the
Top of the tank. What do I do D: I want to
Save him. His fins are still bleeding and falling apart
Old 02-11-2014, 05:24 PM   #7 
MyBettaJack

Yes, absolutely take anything out of the tank that will hurt him if he rubs against it, especially any jagged rocks! The aquarium salt should help with the itching, but he can get NUMEROUS secondary infections if he has open sores or wounds. I have a betta with ich right now, and actually have a thread up about it.

I forgot to add, I respect that you rescued a sick fish, and are doing all you can to save him. It must be tough. Hang in there!

Last edited by MyBettaJack; 02-11-2014 at 05:31 PM.
MyBettaJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 07:30 PM   #8 
sourjacks

I took out his gravel last night so the tank is bare only with leaves and a lot. He didn't make it :'(
Old 02-11-2014, 07:32 PM   #9 
sourjacks

Rest in peace Kirby
Old 02-11-2014, 07:54 PM   #10 
MyBettaJack

Oh, no. I'm so very sorry. You did the very best you could for Kirby. Sometimes, we rescue a sick fish from the store hoping to cure them, fix them, and most of all, save them. Unfortunately, many of them are already past the point of saving. Still, you tried. He passed away loved, with a name, and not alone in a plastic cup. I respect you for that. I'm so very sorry. SIP, Kirby, you were loved.........

Last edited by MyBettaJack; 02-11-2014 at 07:57 PM.
MyBettaJack is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
appetite, bleeding, dart, ich