Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-22-2014, 07:07 PM   #21 
jaysee

Quarantine tanks are the best investment you can make. Quarantining new fish is essential for making sure new additions don't infect current residents. You'll be happy with your purchase I'm sure.
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 08:31 PM   #22 
DaytonBetta

This afternoon we went back to Petco and picked up a new Sammy. He's a crowntail and I really like his coloring. My son, E is excited. We acclimated him and he seems to be doing ok in our 10 gallon quarantine. Hopefully he turns out to be easygoing, but not as bashful as Sammy1.

The frogs are doing fine. They like to hide or behind or in the decoration and even try to hide under each other. They ate this morning.

I don't have any gravel in the quarantine. I figured it would be easier to clean. I can just use a straight siphon tube; I don't want to contaminate my gravel cleaning siphon. I don't think the frogs like the flat bottom and it makes it really hard to get a decent photo. I'm sure they'll be so happy in the planted tank so hopefully they'll do well the next 2 weeks.

The 29 gallon is the same. I've been treating ich for 2 weeks. The Ich Attach says it can take up to 5 weeks. I'm hoping with the increased temperature and water changes/gravel cleaning it will be faster.

Our cockatiel, Charlie is doing well. We have him out of the cage a lot and my son, A is doing very well with the feeding, watering and paper changes.

DaytonBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 08:49 PM   #23 
jaysee

Betta Testing

I would quit using the ich attack. It is useless if it takes 5 weeks. Should take 5 days. You said the heat is at 86. I would bump it up to 88. That can make the difference.
Old 02-23-2014, 08:57 PM   #24 
summersea

I love your new betta! Beautiful color! Hope he does well in quarantine for you!
summersea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 09:59 PM   #25 
DaytonBetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysee View Post
I would quit using the ich attack. It is useless if it takes 5 weeks. Should take 5 days. You said the heat is at 86. I would bump it up to 88. That can make the difference.
My heater is actually set to 88 (that's as high as it goes), but my probe thermometer only reads 86.

Is there anything else you'd recommend for a planted tank?
Old 02-23-2014, 10:04 PM   #26 
jaysee

If the heater is set to 88 and the water is only 86 then you'll need to dial up the heat past 88 to get the water there.

I don't know much about planted tanks - some plants can handle the heat better than others. That's all I got
Old 02-24-2014, 07:14 AM   #27 
Hallyx
Reference Team

I've forgotten what the minimum age is for a falconry license ---maybe fourteen?. I do believe it is a state permit. In California an apprentice falconer must be sponsored by a master falconer (licensed two years). He is then permitted, for the first two years, to keep an American Kestrel, Red-tail hawk or (I believe) a Cooper hawk. Maybe it varies by state.

The wonderful thing about keeping a raptor is you can take them places and fly them, something you can't do with parrotiforms. And they're really not much harder to maintain than a cockatiel, as long as you can build an outdoor muse. They're certainly a lot quieter.

I haven't flown hawks in nearly 40-years, but I still miss it. A well-manned Kestrel is a joy to fly and to just be around. Did you know they smell good?
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 07:44 AM   #28 
DaytonBetta

Probably in 5 years we'll have a Kestrel then, lol.

We went to a presentation by a man who trains the eagle who flies at Great American Ballpark and trains the birds at the Cincinatti zoo. He was a really interesting person and had gotten started with falcons at quite a young age. My son is almost 9.
Old 02-24-2014, 09:25 AM   #29 
jaysee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallyx View Post
I haven't flown hawks in nearly 40-years, but I still miss it. A well-manned Kestrel is a joy to fly and to just be around. Did you know they smell good?
What do they smell like??
Old 02-24-2014, 07:23 PM   #30 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Kestrels smell like a cross between baby powder and pine. Red-tails and Coops are a little muskie, like dried weeds and cinnamon.

Falcon breath is indescribable. I'd wear it as an after shave.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adf, community, fire belly toads, frogs, planted aquarium