Housing
What size is your tank? currently with 2 gallons of water
What temperature is your tank? 25degrees
Does your tank have a filter? no, fish isolated
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? atison betta pro, frozen artemia, red worms/bloodworms.
How often do you feed your betta fish? once a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? 3 days
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50 per cent
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? api aqua pur

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH: 7.2
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? fin rot.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? he was very active , now he lays down on the bottom of the tank with is tails all closed.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? 3 weeks ago maybe
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? yes, with salt, 1gr per litre of water and treated him with esha 2000 during 3 days
Does your fish have any history of being ill? no
How old is your fish (approximately)? 5 months.

MOST IMPORTANT: He looks really stressed, sometimes he freaks out and starts swimming all over the aquarium like a crazy going against everything and doing backflips and stuff like that... His body remains the same, no signs of other disease...

This is him healthy and active always moving and flerting:

This is him now:
nunosilva10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 08:14 PM   #2 
Taeanna
Reference Team

Well to begin with his water is a little chilly for a betta, it should be about 27C, its not bad though. Just something to address if your thermostat can be altered.

Was he flashing before you added the salt (his crazy itchy dance) or did that develop after?
Are you able to get a close up of the fin rot so we can have a looksee? its easier to diagnose that way.
Taeanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 08:37 PM   #3 
nunosilva10

Ok, i'll raise the temperature that 2 degrees.
Actually I putted the salt and he started going crazy like hell... Maybe it's the salt?
Yes, I can take better pictures, ill put them here as soon as I can.
Old 02-09-2014, 08:42 PM   #4 
Taeanna
Reference Team

The salt may be a little strong for him, try changing out half the water with fresh and see how he goes. If the salt is too strong it can cause a burning sensation.

I'll be waiting on the pics when you have time
Old 02-12-2014, 02:44 PM   #5 
nunosilva10

I think i've founded the cause of his stress, I changed him yesterday to another aquarium, with same water parameters but different place/environment and he already did a bubble nest and he is active as hell :D im so glad. Altough he still have fin rot. I'll leave here the new pictures. How can I accelerate the healing time of his tails ? I don't see any sign of bacteria I think since I treated him with esha 2000 and salt.

If someone can help me or give some advice and tips whould be apreciated. thank you

Last edited by nunosilva10; 02-12-2014 at 03:01 PM.
Old 02-12-2014, 09:18 PM   #6 
Taeanna
Reference Team

I am glad hes feeling better in the new home.

Ways to speed up tail growth is a good diet and clean water mostly. But some additives that can help are stress coat (which doubles as a water conditioner so bonus!) and a nice indian almond leaf. it truns the water tea colored which keeps them calmer and also leeches natural chemicals into the water that balance the ph. You can get it from online stockists and it lasts a while. A lot lately have been saying Rooibos teabags are a good alternative if you cant get hold of IAL
Old 02-12-2014, 09:26 PM   #7 
nunosilva10

I actually have an almond leaf in his tank, you can see it in the pictures he's doing the nest below it :) I made some tea of the leafs too, to add on the water and in spawning tanks.
I've been using API aqua pur but ill search for that stress coat to help my male recover.
In the pics do you see any signs of bacteria or something like that in his tails ? I think he only needs to recover now.
About salt, if I use 1gr per litre I can use it always or only for a few days/weeks ?

And thank you so much for your help. Really!
Old 02-12-2014, 09:32 PM   #8 
Taeanna
Reference Team

I cant see any signs of rot from those pictures so that is good. As to salt the total you can use it is about 10 days max before it needs to be stopped, bettas are freshwater fish and it strains their kidneys filtering it from their body.

AQ salt should only be used if there are signs of injury or some sort of growth. Just regrowing a fin is safe to go without

Last edited by Taeanna; 02-12-2014 at 09:32 PM. Reason: spelling!
Old 02-12-2014, 09:36 PM   #9 
nunosilva10

Ok, thank you very much, i'll do water changes every day apply some almond leaf extract, stress coat and I hope he recover.
One last question my tank as about 2 gallons(6 to 8 liter), no filter, I normally do water changes of 3 to 3 days 50% is that ok or should I do 100% water changes too ?
Old 02-12-2014, 09:58 PM   #10 
Taeanna
Reference Team

2 weekly 50 percents is about right. I have a smaller tank myself and I do one 100 a week because it works for me. As long as you make sure to get any waste and pull up the decorations to give them a clean as you do it that should be fine