Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-06-2010, 03:42 PM   #1 
sunset

Minibow vs Eclipse?

I am looking at the different tanks trying to price them out. I have heard that both Minibow and Eclipse are good. Is one better then the other? Has anyone had any issues with either?
sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 03:46 PM   #2 
dr2b

I've never used the Minibow, but I have 2 corner 5 gallon Eclipse tanks. Simply put - I love them. They have the bio-wheel (which is great), and they are quiet. I've never had an issue with them. I think the Minibow is a little cheaper than the Eclipse - but if you are lucky you can find the Eclipse on sale at Petsmart every so often.
dr2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 03:49 PM   #3 
AngelicScars

I haven't used either, but both have been recommended on here by many people. Both seem to be the popular choice for Betta tanks!
As far as price range, I think the Minbows are cheaper. Someone posted on here about finding a 2.5 gallon on Amazon for $22 free shipping!
AngelicScars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 04:23 PM   #4 
JaspersANGEL

I have both my boys in a mini bow 2.5g desktop and they seem to love it, Jasper's the oldest so he knows more about it..but he seems to love it, having his own space and all.
As for me I love the smallness of the tank and the fact that it's big enough for the filter it come's with and a 25w heater.

I'd recommend it too anyone that's looking for a small / quiet tank.
JaspersANGEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 04:43 PM   #5 
kelly528

The big difference is this: Eclipse filtration is awesome. Almost too awesome for bettas. The mini-bow comes with a gentler filter. Also, eclipses (except for the explorer) come with a fluorescent light, wheras I believe the mini-bow comes with an incandescent.
kelly528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 04:45 PM   #6 
sunset

Is one light better then the other? Is the Eclipse filter too harsh? Because I read that the Minibow filter is quite big.
sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 04:53 PM   #7 
kelly528

The eclipse filter is big lol it just fits in the hood.

Fluorescent lights can grow plants, eclipse lights cannot that it the main difference. You might be able to screw an incandescent into a minibow though I have never tried it.
kelly528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 05:04 PM   #8 
dr2b

I had to purchase fluorescent lights for my tank. But it wasn't expensive. It came with an incandescent light. My filter is fine in my eclipse. It's not too rough for the bettas.
Old 01-06-2010, 05:41 PM   #9 
1fish2fish

I have both now and If you can afford it I would go with the eclipse. The filter system is great and its quiet. Plus if your betta cant stand the flow its easily buffered.

The minibow (at least the one I just bought) Doesn't come with a heater. The filter for it takes up a lot of room although it is very gentle. The light is incandescent and doesn't put much light out at all. I'm trying to find a fluorescent that will go into it instead.

The only draw back to the eclipse is its hard to feed through as the door is made to open up to the filter. Most people have to lift the hood to feed.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 06:27 PM   #10 
dr2b

1fish2fish, what size Eclipse do you have? With mine, The entire lid lifts up and the filter sits in the frame.