Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-09-2014, 08:50 PM   #1 
Seki

Sorority Problems

Hey all. Some of you may remember me, some of you may not. I make sporadic appearances on this site. Anyway, I've returned once more and I'm in need of some help.

I have a ten gallon sorority tank right now and it WAS housing 8 betta females. Some of you may call it overstocked but it wasn't and there was no outrageous amount of aggression, just what would be considered normal amongst sorority sisters. A few days ago, I noticed I hadn't seen much of one of my girls, a big chocolate female named Hershey. I saw her hiding a lot in one particular group of plants, so I figured there was maybe a hierarchy change (she had always been near the bottom... very submissive) and she was avoiding the violence. But she hasn't been up to eat in two days now and I haven't seen any sign of her, not even the flash of a fin in the plants. I... am pretty sure she's dead, in which case the other fish probably ate her, right? I have combed the tank looking for her... not a single sign of her.

So beyond the missing Hershey, I'm now having a problem with my dominant red female, Kitkat. I came home from work today to find her lying on her side on the bottom, and no amount of tapping would get her to move. Just when I was convinced she was dead, suddenly she got up and swam to the little house in the tank and perched herself awkwardly on the roof. She isn't acting well... very lethargic, although oddly enough, her color is still vibrant, not pale like it is when she is stressed. I scooped her up and put her in a breeder's box in the tank, where she is mostly lying on the bottom. Oddly, she doesn't appear to have been attacked at all. Her fins are still perfect, no visible injuries, and I watched her eat last night. But something about this lethargy scares me... she didn't even fuss when I caught her in the net.

What's going on in my sorority? I'm afraid I've already lost Hershey, I don't want to lose Kitkat, too!

Housing
What size is your tank? 10g
What temperature is your tank? 80
Does your tank have a filter? yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? 7 other females bettas (potentially 6 now)

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Alternately Omega One pellets and NLS pellets. Supplemented with frozen bloodworms as treats.
How often do you feed your betta fish? Every day, fast Fridays.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? 1x per week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 30-50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Stress Coat or Prime depending on if there are any nipped fins. Lately, Stress Coat because I want to use it up.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 40
pH: 7
Hardness: -
Alkalinity: -

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Not much. Maybe faint stress lines. Otherwise she looks healthy.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Extremely lethargic, laying on the bottom of the tank or whatever is closest. Also, she seems to have lost her dominant position in the tank.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Today
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? No, she is just separated by a breeder's box for the time being.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? None.
How old is your fish (approximately)? Probably no more than 8 months old. She was very young when I got her and her siblings.
Seki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 08:59 PM   #2 
Taeanna
Reference Team

I am very sorry for your loss first off, what a horrible thing to have to exerience than your poor girl vanishing. Please note what I am saying is just some logical conclusions and I mean no offence. SIP little Hershey

There are a lot of things that could have happened really. I dont have a sorority myself but some logical answers are that hershey was sick and the girls gave themselves whatever she had by attacking/eating her or that theres a sickness going through the tank.

I am assuming as a dominant kitkat likely had first dibs on hershey which means she may have gotten the first tummy upset. If thats the case it may be a fungal GIT upset if it was just from eating something thats gone bad. or it could be whatever poor hershey had gotten.

Are they all still eating well? The not looking sick ones I mean

Last edited by Taeanna; 02-09-2014 at 08:59 PM. Reason: spelling is hard
Taeanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 09:11 PM   #3 
Seki

Thanks for the reply! I'm pretty bummed about Hershey, yeah... she was one of my favorites. I've never had a chocolate betta before, she was gorgeous. Especially the blue iridescence when her scales caught the light. Anyway.

Hershey didn't seem sick, although that doesn't mean she wasn't. I did just lose a male in an unrelated tank (I did not share equipment between them... I have equipment I use on sick fish tanks and equipment I use on healthy tanks, and I sterilize the sick equipment after I'm done using it), but I can't honestly think of any relation between those tanks other than that both were fed from the same food supply. But then, all of my fish eat that food and I haven't lost any others.

The other fish are eating just fine and chasing one another around like usual. They are very curious about the breeder box and little Kitkat in there all mopey and whatnot. None of my girls have lost color or appear to have stress lines at all. All of them are still little pigs. The only one I'm not certain about is Kitkat because I haven't tried feeding her yet today, what with her lethargy. She's on her side a lot, which worries me.
Old 02-09-2014, 09:18 PM   #4 
Taeanna
Reference Team

Its a mystery really to see such a drastic change without signs. What I know of schools in general would be that if the sickness had been brewing for a while she would have dropped down the tank chain of command.

Was the food they ate before the illness the frozen food?
Old 02-09-2014, 09:27 PM   #5 
Seki

Nah, they haven't had the frozen food for a while, actually. I've been a bit under the weather and I figured I'd just stick to pellets because handling the bloodworms didn't sound like a lot of fun when my stomach was upset lol. They get their food alternated every night. So tonight they're due for NLS pellets. None of my other fish seem to have anything wrong with them, and they all keep this schedule. I have six other males right now in addition to my sorority of 8 (now probably 7) females.
Old 02-09-2014, 09:41 PM   #6 
Taeanna
Reference Team

With so few symptoms its hard to prescribe any medications with any degree of accuracy. if it is a tummy upset perhaps some Epsom salts and a little bit of daphnisia can help get it all back to normal?
If anything itll get her system fighting fit for her release back to her minions
Old 02-09-2014, 09:53 PM   #7 
Seki

I'm considering putting her in an isolation tank, but I also don't want to screw up the hierarchy and end up with a bloodbath when I put her back. I mean... she'd fight her way back to the top, I have no doubt, but I also know my yellow girl, Kira, would make herself nice and comfy on the throne while she was gone hahaha.

I don't know that I necessarily want to dose the whole tank with epsom or anything. But I might put Kitkat in the 2.5 gallon for a little while to rest and recover. Or I might leave her in the breeder box... Oooh, decisions, decisions...
Old 02-09-2014, 09:58 PM   #8 
Taeanna
Reference Team

perhaps the breeder box but give everyone some water fleas including her? Nothing wrong with giving everyones tummy a good clean out. it can be a betta detox fad diet!
Old 02-09-2014, 10:43 PM   #9 
Seki

Pardon my lack of knowledge, but what are water fleas?
Old 02-09-2014, 10:48 PM   #10 
amphirion

water fleas = daphnia
amphirion is offline   Reply With Quote