Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-10-2014, 01:05 PM   #11 
Seki

Ohhh thanks! I never knew that term haha
Seki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 10:03 PM   #12 
Seki

Okay, so I don't have any daphnia on hand but I can get some tomorrow. For the moment, I have managed to make some good observations about Kitkat while she's in the breeder box. She is still vibrant and she still ate last night and pooped today. Her poop looks normal, she still looks to be at a healthy weight, and she is still reacting to other fish swimming near the box, leading me to believe she's not feeling TOO badly. She had a nice little flare at my cambodian, Sundae.

What I've noticed, though, is that she tends to sort of list to the side when she's rest on the bottom of the box. And she rests on the bottom very frequently, unless she goes up for air. I am thinking this is indicative of SBD? I want to do more observation to be sure, but that's sort of what I'm leaning towards. If this is the case, can she continue to live in the sorority? I worry it would be difficult for her to get to the top, potentially, in a deeper tank like that. If she needs to be moved, I have a five gallon she can permanently live in, all by herself. But I'd like to keep her in the sorority. At least two of my sorority girls are her actual spawn sisters and they've never been apart.
Old 02-11-2014, 01:22 AM   #13 
Taeanna
Reference Team

It is only SBD if she seems confused by the bouyancy change and fights it, if she falls over in her sleep or doesnt seem too worried then its likely not SBD. I have a boy that frequently falls over because he refuses to retract his anal fin (I think its grown wrong since hes a rescue and its all twisted), if he cant find a sleeping spot he likes he just sits on something and falls over. of course this may change in future so watch her reactions.

By the sound of it your girl is tired, possibly has a tummy upset or something. if anything the breeders box should have given her a rest since keeping your crown must be hard work.

If you feel safe releasing her then by all means, you can always net her again if you observe further symptoms.
Taeanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 02:04 PM   #14 
Seki

Well. I found Hershey... or... what was left of her. Her body bobbed up to the top out of the blue today. It was... very gory and gruesome, so I won't describe details, but she had clearly been snacked on.

I am thinking her body must have been floating in there for a few days now. I am a bit worried about the effect this might have on the water quality. My tank is fully cycled, of course, but if there was a dead body floating in there... I am planning on doing an unscheduled 50% change today and maybe adding an extra drop or two of Prime to take care of any extra ammonia her decomposing body might have released into the water. Is there anything else I should be worried about?

On a side note, Kitkat is a lot more active today, so I was planning on releasing her back into the tank with her minions. I only hope this doesn't happen again. Very traumatic.
Old 02-11-2014, 02:51 PM   #15 
shannonpwns

Something similar was the downfall in my 20g sorority... I had a girl start acting strange...she would hang out in one spot and not eat or come to see me for a few days. Then all of a sudden she was dead and half eaten the next day. A few days later I noticed the same behavior in another female, so I removed her and kept a close eye on her. After a week she was acting normal again so I returned her to the sorority. A few weeks later, same thing with another female (sister to the one that I found dead), and I found her dead and half eaten overnight. Then ANOTHER female started acting the same way, but like the second one, she didn't die.

Then there was a bad attack when I re-added a female, and she disemboweled another girl and that was it for me....I took my sorority down and gave half my girls to my sister.

I never did find out what was wrong in my tank, whether it was illness, or water quality (my tank was also cycled so I dunno), or just an overly aggressive female wreaking havoc. So I do hope that you get yours sorted out, and I am sorry for your loss. :(

My sorority was my favorite tank ever....it was really hard to take it down. I miss it a lot.
shannonpwns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 03:57 PM   #16 
Seki

Aw man, sorry to hear about your sorority, Shannon. I reeeeeally hope that doesn't happen to my girls, I'm very attached to them all. I nearly got sick when I saw Hershey's remains floating. Disgusting and horrifying, to say the least...

So far, everything is alright. Kitkat had perked up and is going back into the big tank after her rest period in isolation. She is as spunky as she normally is, so I feel confident letting her back out. If I notice problems, she'll definitely be taken out again.

Here's hoping Hershey dying was a freak accident and nothing else bad will happen. I couldn't handle a massive die-off. It's been hard enough losing Hershey and the male I lost last week.
Old 02-12-2014, 07:10 PM   #17 
shannonpwns

I really hope it doesn't happen to your sorority too, it was traumatic for me! I loved my girls so much! I had posted videos and tons of pics of them, I loved them so much...I just wish I knew what was going on with my girls to cause it. That's the hardest part, not knowing if you did something wrong, or if it was something that couldn't have been avoided... :(

And it took three deaths for me to finally give it up. :(

Hopefully Kitkat will be okay and you'll have no more tragedies!
shannonpwns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 07:49 PM   #18 
Stone

I will be the bad gy and say, yes a 10 gal is to small for that many girls, stress often opens fish up to getting all sorts of sicknesses, it if often the first step in lowering their immune system and with that many in a tank that size there will be too much stress.
Stone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 08:36 PM   #19 
Seki

Shannon - thanks, I hope it doesn't happen, too. Very attached to my females. This is definitely my favorite tank, no doubt about it.

Stone - I respectfully disagree.