Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-08-2010, 03:51 PM   #21 
Betta Fish Bob
Banned

Betta Fish Bob-

I found a fish shop 10 mins away from me and they have been around for at least 20 years and are very small. They are FANTASTIC! Their bettas are imported directly from Singapore and are in PERFECT condition, even with bubble nests! And they are huge (like twice the size of petco's) and NO MATTER THE TAIL AND COLOR THEY ARE $3.99 each!!! I love that place!!!
----------------------------

That is awesome!! I LOVE a bargain, and I do really love smaller shops. I sometimes just go in and walk around and spend an hour just chatting and "hanging out!"

Here is a neat list of references and shops for Maine ...

http://articles.directorym.com/Betta...654-Maine.html

Beth C.
Betta Fish Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 03:58 PM   #22 
xSomethingSmellsFishyx

I think you should check out Petsmart. They take excellent care of their fishies! I agree that Petco is horrible! I saved my little betta fish from that undisirable 'pet" store!
xSomethingSmellsFishyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 08:00 PM   #23 
kuklachica

We don't have petsmart near us :(
kuklachica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 08:15 PM   #24 
Jill0

I hope it gets better for the fish there.

Around our area, I have not been very impressed with PetCo. We've gotten some fish there, but I've been a lot happier with the conditions, employee knowledge, and selection at PetSmart.
Jill0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 08:25 PM   #25 
dramaqueen
Banned

My Petsmart is pretty good. I HAVE seen a few more dead fish lately, though.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 09:55 PM   #26 
Jayy

I don't think all petcos are bad just some and petsmart is good but,they only have 2 tail types. and I have a LFS around here that sale veils for $2.49 and crowns for $3.99 i'm not sure about the rest.
Jayy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 10:55 PM   #27 
dramaqueen
Banned

I wish Petsmart had doubletails and halfmoons.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 10:20 AM   #28 
Zenandra
Banned

The petsmart closes to me is where I got Jumangi, he was the only fish out of about 7 bettas still alive on the shelves. And yet the petco about a 1/2 hour from me takes absolutely amazing care of their fish. It's not the Chain, its the individual stores that most often determine the level of care that the fish get. And the ma and pa shops aren't always the best way to go either, they dont always take better care of their fish/animals then the chain stores do. There's one around me where the bettas are in the smallest cups ive ever seen, the water is rarely changed, the other fish are also kept in tiny tanks, including some big plecs and oscars that don't have room to turn around, and they keep their snakes in tupperware containers that they can't move in.
Zenandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 11:14 AM   #29 
Jayy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenandra View Post
The petsmart closes to me is where I got Jumangi, he was the only fish out of about 7 bettas still alive on the shelves. And yet the petco about a 1/2 hour from me takes absolutely amazing care of their fish. It's not the Chain, its the individual stores that most often determine the level of care that the fish get. And the ma and pa shops aren't always the best way to go either, they dont always take better care of their fish/animals then the chain stores do. There's one around me where the bettas are in the smallest cups ive ever seen, the water is rarely changed, the other fish are also kept in tiny tanks, including some big plecs and oscars that don't have room to turn around, and they keep their snakes in tupperware containers that they can't move in.
I agree
Jayy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 03:03 PM   #30 
Jessiefish

Our PetCo is kinda crappy (both in terms of customer service and fish quality). PetSmart is better, but sometimes their bettas are dead and have horrible water -- I saw one last night that looked like his caudal fin was going to fall off. We used to love going into our usual LFS, but they downgraded their betta cups to even smaller than the norm... the last time we were in there the bettas could barely turn around and were starting to get horrible fin curling.

P.S. I don't have multiple personalities -- "our" and "we" refers to Grant83 and me.
Jessiefish is offline   Reply With Quote