Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-09-2014, 09:30 PM   #1 
Kumo

10 gallon cracked

picture: http://i60.tinypic.com/2ivwxy.jpg
So I kind of have a "oh crap" moment with my 10 gallon tank. While we were transporting my 10 gallon tank from my boyfriend's home to my dorm at college, we ended up accidentally cracking it. This is the only spot it is cracked and it wasn't strong enough to completely "bang out" a piece of glass. My boyfriend and I don't know if we should attempt to fix it with some kind of aquarium glue or just buy a new tank. All of my animals (dwarf frogs, corry fish, betta) are all happily in their 20 gallon at my bf's place. We wanted to bring my 10 to my dorm so I could start cycling it and eventually throw in the betta and cory.

So my question is, should we attempt to fix this with some kind of aquarium glue (if you have products in mind that'd work for this crack, please link!), or should we just pitch this tank and buy another 10 for its place? I AM NOT buying anything more than a 10 gallon to replace this tank (I'd either go 10 or 5 since I'd only have my corry fish and betta fish in this tank, my betta is EXTREMELY docile. If someone swims to close to him, he swims the other way)
Kumo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 09:35 AM   #2 
Rollo

My instincts tell me this crack could be repaired but you never know for sure. You could go to the LFS and get a tube of aquarium sealant or to some where like Home depot and get a tube of silicon sealant, just make sure it is 100% silicon. It won't look pretty but you could probably get a water tight seal. It will take a couple of days for the sealant to fully cure and it smells really bad while it's curing. Thing is a tube of sealant is gonna cost ya like 5-7 bucks versus a new 10 g, which you can find easily for less than 15 buck and on sale closer to 10. So........might just be worth it to get a new tank.
Rollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 10:43 AM   #3 
Rana

Empty 10g tanks are dirt cheap, I'd just replace it. They're usually about $12-15 new without the hood or anything, and you can find them for cheaper or even free on Craigslist/etc. Sealing the crack would stop it from leaking for now, but I'd be worried that the pressure for the water is going to force the weak join to bend outwards, snapping it in half sooner or later.
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 02:50 PM   #4 
Kumo

That was my biggest worry with possibly fixing it, would how long would the water pressure hold? A lot of people I'm asking this about is telling me to just get a new 10 gallon tank, which I think I shall do.
Kumo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 04:10 PM   #5 
Morguex

Get a new one, they are cheap and peace of mind is priceless.

You would kick yourself if you came home and the tank had leaked out.
Morguex is offline   Reply With Quote