Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-07-2010, 01:15 PM   #1 
purplegirl

eating habits of bettas

Hi, it's me again re the betta we've had for 4 days now in the 1.5 gallon tank. I have given him the tetra betta pellets, which he puts in his mouth, and then spits back out. He may do this a few times, but seems to leave them floating at the top. I'm not sure if he's eventually eating them or not? He kind of nosed around the freezedried bloodworms I gave him his second day, but didn't eat any and now won't touch them. As mentioned, when he sees me lift the cover, he comes to the top and waits for me to put the pellets in(I do 1 or 2 at first). takes them in immediately, spits them in and out a few times, and then swims away. Any reason why he may not be eating? Obviously they can starve, but is there something I'm not doing? Any other options? I have been leaving about 3 pellets floating in the tank after the recommended 4-5 minutes and then remove as I'm just not sure he's eating.Thank you!
purplegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 01:24 PM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

It's pretty normal for them to not eat for the first few days after you bring them home. But they can be pretty picky too, and you might have to switch pellet brands. Keep offering the pellets and hopefully, he'll figure out that that's all he's going to get and eat it. lol
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 01:29 PM   #3 
MollyJean

First off.. take the pellets out if he doesn't eat them. They'll muck up his water that much faster. Bloodworms too.

You might need to change the brand. And I know some pellets are larger then others, maybe you could look for smaller ones. They have baby pellets at some pet stores. Lunch is really picky, if his shrimp are too big, he won't eat them.
MollyJean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 01:35 PM   #4 
dr2b

I have seen that most bettas will eat Hikari Bio-Gold and Wardley's. For my little girl I have to feed her Hikari Micro Pellets. But keep offering him pellets. Bettas can go up to a month with no food, so don't worry that he will starve :)
dr2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 01:42 PM   #5 
JaspersANGEL

Soak them in a spoon of tank water for a few minutes then feed them to him, I read this little tip off of here and it helped me out allot.
JaspersANGEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 01:58 PM   #6 
purplegirl

You guys are the best! Thanks for the relief that he won't starve anytime soon(from my fellow WV'n)smile). I'll get a different pellet although these pellets have some different sizes in it, and some are practically specks. RE; the shrimp: are yours the freeze dried, frozen or fresh. Our petco sold me just regular freezedried shrimp, I think, as they are the size of 1/3 of his body!! The word 'brine" was not on the label, but I didn't have a clue, so I bought them. I tried crumbling 1/4 of one of them in the tank. He swam up to it, looked at it, and then swam away. Are these things decendents of royalty or something due to what I've been hearing re: their pickiness?!!!(smile)
purplegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 02:00 PM   #7 
dr2b

I feed mine freezedried brineshrimp. You can also use frozen, but I just find fd easier.
dr2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 03:00 PM   #8 
dramaqueen
Banned

Hikari freeze dried brine shrimp comes in cubes. I have no idea why. I just crush them in a small container and one cube goes a long way, even for 11 bettas. lol
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote