Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-11-2014, 07:36 AM   #1 
Joey Fish

Corry Cats for a betta. 10 gals

I have been wanting a tank mate(s) lately, and I have not been able to find otos anywhere. Does anybody know how to care for/ feed cories and/or shrimp? THanks!
Joey Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 06:41 PM   #2 
eatmice2010

Cories really like shrimp pellets, you can feed them zucchini and letus. They need to eat the food on the ground. They are great with bettas and good for NPTs. They need to be in a shoal of 4+.

Shrimp are just as easily to take care of. They need heavily populated plants and a lot of hiding spots. They will usually feed off of algae, you also eat some type of pellets.
eatmice2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 08:18 PM   #3 
Sathori

I have albino cory catfish with my betta and they get along great. My betta pecked at each one at first since he wasn't too excited about sharing his tank, but after that, they seem to be pals. My betta often checks out what the cories are eating and "shares" with them. They are very active fish, when they are not scavenging for food or taking a nap, they skitter all over the tank.
I buy mine sinking wafers that have shrimp and krill in them, made for bottom feeders. Just watch that your betta doesn't try to eat all the wafers. Bettas are pigs after all :P
Like eatmice said, they should be in a school of 4+ unless they are pygmy cories, those need to be in shoals of 6+.

I find cories are a lot more active/visible than shrimp are and I find them much cuter too :P
Sathori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 07:28 AM   #4 
Joey Fish

Wow this is really helpful, does anyone have any pics of theirs?
Old 02-12-2014, 07:46 AM   #5 
Joey Fish

I just went to AqAdvisor, and with a betta and 5 albino cories they said I was at 92 percent stocked. This is great, although they advised a warning for aggressiveness between the two, is this true, or should I get a different version of cories? I went back, and did black fin cories, it said even better filtration capacity, and 83 percent stocked, but then stated that they would outgrow the tank, does anyone know which variation of cory I should use?

Last edited by Joey Fish; 02-12-2014 at 07:53 AM.
Old 02-12-2014, 09:32 AM   #6 
n25philly

in a 10 gallon I wouldn't use any cory cat other than the dwarf cory cats (Corydoras hastatus, habrosus, and one other kind I can't remember) as full sized cory cats would be really cramped in a 10. You could maybe get away with a small group of albinos or Pandas though.

Cories are super peaceful, and the worse they ever do is they don't seem to look where they are going as mine will crash into anyone in their way. I doubt all but the most aggressive bettas would have an issue with them. I might worry a little with the dwarfs though. I picked up 6 habrosus last night and they are tiny.
n25philly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 12:34 PM   #7 
Sathori

I don't have any issues with aggressiveness with my albinos. They don't bother my betta, but they don't let him push them around either. When they're not scrounging around for food, they either sit on the bottom resting or skitter all over the tank. Like n25philly stated, they often crash into each other or sometimes crash into Gray since they don't seem to watch where they are swimming. Gray spooks a bit, then keeps on doing what ever he was doing.

Again, I often catch them "sharing" a wafer with my betta. Due to the betta's pig-ish nature, I often have to monitor how many wafers I drop and when it's time to clean up the scraps so that my betta doesn't get bloated.
I swear sometimes he steals the wafer from them just as a game. He only picks up the ones the cories are munching on. Once the cories leave it alone, he loses interest in it.

Here is one of my albinos. They do prefer a sand-like substrate, so I may upgrade to sand once money isn't so tight. It's not available in my area, so I'd have to either order it online or drive 2hrs to get it.
Name:  IMG_4573.jpg
Views: 444
Size:  56.8 KB

And just for fun, here's Gray stealing one of the wafers from the cories. He spat it out right after the picture.
Name:  IMG_4572.jpg
Views: 444
Size:  59.1 KB

They're poor quality due to my iPhone being zoomed in and already loaded with pictures lol...
Since I have gravel instead of sand, I use a gravel vacuum every week to suck up all the left over food that has fallen between the gravel that the cories cannot reach. With sand, it is easier for them to get a majority of the left over food. It's harder with gravel.
Sathori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 01:12 PM   #8 
n25philly

lol, with aggression I figured you were talking about the betta being the issue. Cory cats are not even the slightest bit aggressive. I've seen mine crash head first into my rcs and the shrimps just move to the side and continue on their way. The shrimps have no fear of them.

I don't think my MTS like them though as when they start burrowing into the ground my cories tend to knock them over like bowling pins. They tend to be oblivious to everyone and everything that isn't a wafer/pellet. As long as the betta isn't the type that is aggressive to everything there shouldn't be any issues. I don't have any with my betta though so I can't speak from experience.

I do have one cory that thinks he is a zebra danio. (For around a week he was the only cory cat in the tank as when I felt bad when I saw him alone at the lfs) so he will occasionally chase them, but in the same playful way they chase each other.
n25philly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 01:28 PM   #9 
G26okie

Hahahah the wafer stealing. My betta "picky" will steal wafers from the ghost shrimp, which he cares nothing about, he just wants their food. Of course he will keep eating it and spiting it out.
G26okie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 11:26 PM   #10 
Joey Fish

Wow they sound like a joy. I love the betta stealing the wafer, they are just like kids!