Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-25-2012, 03:26 PM   #1 
marktrc

embarrassed for my male betta "Chuck"

i have a young betta named ollie. he is developing into what i think is a delta or halfmoon male. but right now he looks kind of like a long finned female.

my double tail male betta, chuck can see ollie thru their divider. chuck has now made a bubble nest and swimming from ollie back to under his nest. i think chuck is dancing under his nest, trying to lure ollie to it.

marktrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 03:27 PM   #2 
tpocicat

rofl
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 08:02 PM   #3 
bettalover2033

Only pictures can tell us if Ollie is a true male or female. Also how long have you had Ollie?
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 12:03 AM   #4 
indjo
TFK Moderator

When sexually mature and healthy, they wouldn't care if the fish in the opposite side is male or female. They will flirt with any sex.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 03:31 AM   #5 
bettalover2033

Flirt...or claim territory. I think that bettas don't exactly flirt with the same sex. If you can elaborate more in what you mean, I'd love to understand it from your point of view.

My point of view with this is that they are intelligent enough to know the difference from the sexes when in the same tank. I believe that they let out 'signals' in the water. Maybe hormones of some kind.*

Example:
When they are in separate tanks and both males are long finned and they both show interest in flaring at each other, they might be able tell the gender by how the next betta reacts to the other. Of course USUALLY females are short finned so that might also be a distinction that they recognize.*

Like if its a male in one tank and a female in the other tank next to him, he will flare at her and if she reacts as a shy female or flares back, but shows much less aggression, he may make his choice as she is a female. Than if it was a male since a male would be much more aggressive toward another flaring betta.

This also may seem incorrect and 'not possible'. I'm not sure and it's also an idea of mine.

About the two fish being in the same tank with no barrier. When it's two males in the same tank with no barrier, my theory is that the two fish let out hormones like when spawning. Of course the hormones are going to differ from male and female. So if both males let out the same hormone, they can tell it isn't a female and will have no interest with 'flirting' but with displaying territory as well as making itself look bigger meaning a tougher opponent in a fight.

Indjo, what do you think about that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by indjo View Post
When sexually mature and healthy, they wouldn't care if the fish in the opposite side is male or female. They will flirt with any sex.
I. One tank*
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-30-2012, 04:17 AM   #6 
marktrc

i dont know whats going on with chuck.

im going to post another photo of ollie in a week or so. he/she is a youngish fish so the jury is still out on what it is. unsure of sex or type of fins.

i only want to post a photo of ollie monthly as not to flood the forum with ollie pics that look alike. i think after a month it will show a decent amount of difference.
Old 06-30-2012, 10:05 AM   #7 
bettalover2033

Yes. Pictures can definitely help a bunch here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marktrc View Post
i dont know whats going on with chuck.

im going to post another photo of ollie in a week or so. he/she is a youngish fish so the jury is still out on what it is. unsure of sex or type of fins.

i only want to post a photo of ollie monthly as not to flood the forum with ollie pics that look alike. i think after a month it will show a decent amount of difference.
Old 06-30-2012, 12:56 PM   #8 
dramaqueen
Banned

Seeing another male might make him feel the need to mark his territory so he built a nest.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 02:54 PM   #9 
marktrc

the pic is here.
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread....72#post1141072