Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-09-2014, 11:37 PM   #21 
Rollo

10 Days ago.
[IMG][/IMG]

Now..... I think it's safe to say the Hornwort has exploded.
[IMG][/IMG]
Rollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 09:57 PM   #22 
Rollo

Brutus' Tank 03-10-14:
ph= 8.2
TAN= .5 ppm
NH3= <.05 ppm
Nitrite= 0 ppm
Nitrate= 10ppm

Ok added second of four doses of tetracycline to the tank today. This stuff definitely changes the color of the water, makes it... well almost tea colored which isn't a bad look considering that some people try to get that look. Still I wish Brutus was well. Hard to tell but it does look like his eye is a little better. I think the swelling has gone down some but the eye it's still cloudy. He is continuing to eat. The tetracycline causes a lot of foaming from the discharge tube of the sponge filter which looks like the mother of all bubble nests. Not sure about the TAN reading looks like ammonia may be starting to tick up, hope the Tetracycline didn't zap the BB. Per instructions need to do a 25% WC tomorrow prior to the next dose, so we'll see what ammonia is prior.

Blondies Tank 3-10-14:
ph= 8.2
TAN= .25 ppm
NH3= .05 ppm
Nitrite= 0 ppm
Nitrate= NA

No issues with Blondies tank at all. Small but nice bubble nest going. Don't know what was up with the nitrite reading a couple days ago. zero after 50% WC yesterday and still zero today.
Old 03-11-2014, 08:01 PM   #23 
Rollo

Brutus' Tank 03-11-14:
ph= NA
TAN= .25 ppm
NH3= <.05 ppm
Nitrite= 0 ppm
Nitrate= NA

This morning when I turned the lights on Brutus' tank and checked the swelling and cloudiness in his eye is gone!! Yippeee! So the Tetracycline seems to be working. Also he seems a lot calmer, glass surfing way down and when fed him this evening none of the normal battle with dropping a pellet when he came up for a gulp of air, boom,boom,boom,boom four pellets right in a row. So things are turning up! Did a 25% WC and added the 3rd of 4 doses of the tetracycline. only checked for TAN and nitrite after the WC.

Blondies Tank 3-10-14:
ph= NA
TAN= .25 ppm
NH3= .05 ppm
Nitrite= 0 ppm
Nitrate= NA

No issues at all with Blondies tank. Checked TAN and Nitrite only. Not seeing nitrite at all.
Old 03-11-2014, 09:29 PM   #24 
DaytonBetta

Glad things are looking up!
DaytonBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 11:21 AM   #25 
Rollo

Thanks DaytonBetta's!! It's amazing what a different fish he is now. Great learning experience for me too. The constant glass surfing has stopped and he seems back to normal. Came right to the surface when I fed him this AM. I had thought the glass surfing was him freaking out about the addition of the sponge filter, cause it started about the same time or maybe seeing his own reflection. But I think now he was just getting sick. Good to know for the future.
Old 03-12-2014, 09:52 PM   #26 
Rollo

Brutus' Tank 03-12-14:
ph= 8.2
TAN= .25 ppm
NH3= <.05 ppm
Nitrite= 0 ppm
Nitrate= 10 ppm

Added fourth and last dose of Tetracycline to Brutus' tank. He really is a new fish. The glass surfing has stopped and he comes up and greets me at the surface when its feeding time. Learned a lot from this, it never occurred to me the glass surfing my because he was getting sick and I hope not in pain. The other is to really give your fish the once over visually every day. by this I mean examine them closely for things. Truthfully Brutus may have had visual evidence of the popeye for several days before I actually noticed it. I am just really happy he seems to be better.

Blondies Tank 3-12-14:
ph= 8.2
TAN= .25 ppm
NH3= .05 ppm
Nitrite= 0 ppm
Nitrate= 0 ppm

No issues with Blondie or the tank. He has a nice bubble nest going. Seems to me Blondie has a bit more of a 'tude that Brutus, if you get close to the front of the tank he comes over and almost seems to get up in your face saying"what do you want". Also if I doing any thing in his tank he is right there to investigate. Love this guy.
Old 03-14-2014, 11:15 AM   #27 
Rollo

Brutus' Tank 03-14-14:
ph= 8.2
TAN= .25 ppm
NH3= <.05 ppm
Nitrite= 0 ppm
Nitrate= 10 ppm

Did about a 3 gallon WC last night and another 3 gallon this AM to get rid of the darkness. The water is still a little dark from the tetracycline but has cleared up considerable from what it was. Have also added some plants to his tank. I have been impressed with how much they have suppressed the TAN on Blondies tank. I have also bought and added the exact same pagoda that Blondie has in his tank. Also changed the bulbs to 13W "Daylight" CFL. Brutus is eating well now and the surfing for all practical purposes has stopped. I now am waiting to see if he builds a bubble nest.

Blondies Tank 3-14-14:
ph= 8.2
TAN= .25 ppm
NH3= <.05 ppm
Nitrite= 0 ppm
Nitrate= 0 ppm

I have never had a filter on Blondies tank. Other than that one time getting a little nitrite I have never seen any attempt for it to start the cycle. The TAN always seems to remain low between water changes, I am thinking because of the plants. Blondie has a nice bubble nest going.
Old 03-14-2014, 11:29 AM   #28 
Rollo

Brutus' Tank re-do:

Brutus feeling a little better

Blondie coming over to say "what you want"

Old 03-15-2014, 03:39 PM   #29 
Rollo

Found this in Brutus' Tank today...Been awhile, but glad to see it.

Old 03-16-2014, 05:15 PM   #30 
Rollo

Brutus' Tank 03-16-14:
ph= 8.2
TAN= .25 ppm
NH3= <.05 ppm
Nitrite= 0 ppm
Nitrate= 10-20 ppm

No WC on Brutus' tank today, have done 60% the last couple of days so decided to leave it alone. Did add some Hornwort I cut from Blondies tank and removed the 4 oak leafs as they were starting to look alittle ripe. Did some minor trimming of plants. The water is still kinda dark from the Tetracycline treatment, but plan on just normal WC to gradually get it back to normal. It doesn't appear to be staining anything. Have noted that both tanks have at least one snail hitchhiker from the plants niether is very big right now but they're there

Blondies Tank 3-16-14:
ph= 8.2
TAN= .25 ppm
NH3= <.05 ppm
Nitrite= 0 ppm
Nitrate= 0 ppm

Did a weekly 50% WC on Blondies tank and fert/carbon dosed the new water. Did some trimming of old leafs on a couple of the swords.