Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-11-2014, 03:48 PM   #1 
ShikaDeer

Stuff on ends of fins?

Carlos is recovering from a pretty bad case of tail biting/fin rot, which thankfully seems to have stopped as his fins haven't gotten shorter from what I've noticed.
I've been keeping up with water changes for the past 2 weeks I've had him back in my care, so I was hoping to see some new fin growth soon.
From what I understand, it's supposed to look clear at first until the color comes in? I thought that's what this was at first, but it's not clear, it's white and it seems to only be on certain parts of his fins in clumps.

I have no idea of what this is, or how to treat it if it's anything bad. If someone could help me out, I'd appreciate it! c:

In the picture, you can kinda see that it's on the tips of a lot of his fins. I circled the most obvious sections though in case it's hard to see.

ShikaDeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 03:55 PM   #2 
ShikaDeer

Figured I'd fill this out as well, I'm not sure if it'll help diagnose the problem any better but here:

Housing
What size is your tank? - 2.5 gallons
What temperature is your tank? - 79 degrees
Does your tank have a filter? - Yes, but it's off at the moment
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? - No
Is your tank heated? - Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? - None, just some plants

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? - Omega One and frozen brine shimp which he gets about twice a week
How often do you feed your betta fish? - The pellets, he gets two in the morning and three at night and none on Fridays. Brine shrimp are about every 4 days, which he gets after water changes

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? - Every 4-5 days
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? - 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? - Prime

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? - Haven't tested

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? - The fin biting/rot (I'm still not 100% sure which it was) happened when he was left in my brother's care for 2 months, the white clumps were noticed about two days ago
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? - It hasn't, he's still very active and eats just fine
When did you start noticing the symptoms? - A couple days ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? - Haven't treated him yet, I'd like to be sure of what it is first
Does your fish have any history of being ill? - Besides the biting/rot, no
How old is your fish (approximately)? - He's almost 2 years old

Last edited by ShikaDeer; 02-11-2014 at 04:04 PM.
Old 02-11-2014, 05:40 PM   #3 
mart

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShikaDeer View Post
Carlos is recovering from a pretty bad case of tail biting/fin rot, which thankfully seems to have stopped as his fins haven't gotten shorter from what I've noticed.
I've been keeping up with water changes for the past 2 weeks I've had him back in my care, so I was hoping to see some new fin growth soon.
From what I understand, it's supposed to look clear at first until the color comes in? I thought that's what this was at first, but it's not clear, it's white and it seems to only be on certain parts of his fins in clumps.

I have no idea of what this is, or how to treat it if it's anything bad. If someone could help me out, I'd appreciate it! c:

In the picture, you can kinda see that it's on the tips of a lot of his fins. I circled the most obvious sections though in case it's hard to see.

That be Fin Rot. Something I have been battling with my HM for a month now.
Clean water, Aquarium salt. He doesn't look too bad yet. Mine has almost all his tail gone since just yesterday.
I was doing 50% water changes a day and using 1/2 tsp of AS per gal., and he was better, and his tail was growing back. But as of yesterday, it has come back with vengeance.
mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 06:11 PM   #4 
ShikaDeer

The white on the ends? I don't think that's fin rot, but I could be wrong.
He's recovering from fin rot/biting at the moment though, it's the white stuff on his fins that I'm concerned about at the moment.

I'd like to avoid salt if possible as well, but I'll definitely do it if needed. It's just a little too risky for me to be willing to do when I'm not sure what the problem is.
I did just order some IAL though, I'm hoping that'll help him out.
Old 02-11-2014, 07:32 PM   #5 
Taeanna
Reference Team

It may be saprolegnia which isnt as serious as other fungal forms of fin rot. Saprolegnia only attacks dead tissue instead of eating the living stuff. if it is this you wont see it spread or only hang out on the already damaged parts and fall off when that part begins to regrow.
Clean water and time will kick it.

However if you se it spreading out or clearly eating new fin it may be a different fungal form and that will need to be addressed as it happens
Taeanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 07:41 PM   #6 
ShikaDeer

Hm, alright! I definitely plan to keep a close watch on him, so I'll notice if that starts to spread. I may up the amount of water changes as well, the only reason I haven't already is because the poor guy gets so stressed when I take him out of the tank. ;n;

Thank you!
Old 02-11-2014, 07:51 PM   #7 
Taeanna
Reference Team

Not a problem :) a good way to ease his annoyance if you choose is to suck the water out with a turkey baster slowly to halfway and then refill slowly with new water. you can get the junk off the bottom and the fish doesnt have to go anywhere and wont stress out.
The downside is it is time consuming. Luckily my own 2.5G is next to my computer so while I clean I can watch a movie...
Old 02-12-2014, 07:44 AM   #8 
mart

Mine had been recovering from fin rot, and had the same thing on his tail, within a day his tail was almost gone.
He's on API Fungus cure right now.
mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 08:55 PM   #9 
ShikaDeer

I hope it's not anything serious like that! It doesn't seem to have gotten any bigger or smaller since yesterday, which I'm hoping is a good sign?

On the plus side, I can see a tiny amount of new fin regrowth in some places! :D
Old 02-12-2014, 08:56 PM   #10 
Taeanna
Reference Team

That is wonderful to hear, the care is obviously working.
Very happy for you both