Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-07-2010, 11:08 PM   #1 
sydney480

Unhappy My betta is sick

Hi Okay Ive had this fish for about 3 months and he was happy and healthy until about 3 days ago. He has a white/grey patch under his head and has stopped eating and just lays on the bottom of the tank. He is in approx 1 gallon tank and I was changing the water every week. He has a heater and his temp is always at approx 75. I started using pimafix yesterday at the advice of the petstore and just take out some of the water from the tank and add the meds, and then put it back into the tank. Ive read several posts on here about not to use this medication and to change the water etc and Im confused about what to do. I dont have a water testing kit right now and am considering getting a 5 gallon tank. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
sydney480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 11:22 PM   #2 
Zenandra
Banned

Is the patch fuzzy or kind of moldy looking? Are there any open sores, or patches anywhere else on his body? It sounds like it might be colmunaris, which is a severe bactierial infection. Symptoms can include white or grey patches on the body, fluffy white cottony patches, open red sores, lethargy, loss of appetite, fin rot etc.

I would do a big water change and begin treating him with Tetracycline or Kanamycin.

Salt baths can also be very helpful!
Zenandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 11:32 PM   #3 
sydney480

Hi, it looks like a moldy patch and he just will come up for air and sink to the bottom again. I cant see any other symptoms on him. I only have sea salt for cooking, not sure if that is any good..what kind of salt?
So should I take him out now and put him into clean water and see what happens. I had already prepared another tank earlier, but the petshop told me not to move him.
Old 01-07-2010, 11:56 PM   #4 
Zenandra
Banned

Definitely sounds like colmunaris! He won't get any better without the proper medication, you need to do a water change, maybe 50% and start treating him with tetracycline, Kanamycin if you can find it would be even better.

For a salt bath take a couple cups of water and add 1 tsp of aquarium salt or NON - iodized table salt per cup. Put you betta in the water for 5 minutes, but if he reacts negatively to the salt (twitching or swimming spazzily) remove him immediately. After the 5 minutes add another couple cups of water and leave him in for another 10 minutes then put him back him the tank, You can do this a couple times a day and it might help. But you definitely need the medications!
Old 01-08-2010, 12:19 AM   #5 
sydney480

okay i did a 50% water change and will have to wait until tomorrow to buy meds as everything is closed now..keep your fingers crossed...he looks like he has very laboured breathing on the bottom of the tank..just comes up for air and sinks again...makes me want to cry
Old 01-08-2010, 12:31 AM   #6 
Zenandra
Banned

Do you have a heater in your tank? if you do turn it down to 74 degrees or so, lower temperatures will keep the bacterial infection from spreading quite as fast
Old 01-08-2010, 12:35 AM   #7 
sydney480

yes i have a heater and its at a steady 74 degrees..thanks for the advice and hope he makes it through the nite
Old 01-08-2010, 12:39 AM   #8 
Zenandra
Banned

Good luck! I'll keep my fingers crossed for him!
Old 01-08-2010, 03:24 PM   #9 
sydney480

Okay, this morning there was no change so went to the fish store and could not find any of the meds you suggested..the only thing they had was Maracyn...so bought that and did a water change, added some aquarium salt and the maracyn..and now just waiting.
He still is just laying on the bottom of tank, very laboured breathing and the moldy patches have spread alot..it covers the whole underside of his body now. I have a heater and it is at a steady 75 degrees. I cant turn it up or down as it doesnt have those options...any other suggestions?
Old 01-08-2010, 03:45 PM   #10 
Betta Fish Bob
Banned

As usual, the advice Zen offers seems to be right on the money.

I am praying for you and your fish.

Good luck.

And remember, sometimes you do all the right things and nothing helps them.
Don't beat yourself up about it if you lose him.

Beth C.
Betta Fish Bob is offline   Reply With Quote